Chainsaw maintenance, handling/cutting course

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apparently im one of the most knowledgeable person with chainsaws in my area and folks are keen to have me conduct a class. Can anyone share me some notes or book that covers these things?

Apparently im one of the most knowledgeable person with chainsaws in my area and folks are keen to have me conduct a class. Can anyone share me some notes or book that covers these things?

It may seem basic, but there is a lot of good info in most user manuals. I know we normally gloss over these (we're all pros, right? And user manuals are for losers!) but I reread an old Stihl manual the other day, and it had plenty of good info regarding use, handling, proper cuttting techniques, regular maintenance, as well as specifications letting the user know when certain parts need to be replaced.

Sorry I don't have more "sexy" info.... :(

Husqvarna has a basic chainsaw video series that is on the utube that might be a good start for a course syllabus.

It may seem basic, but there is a lot of good info in most user manuals. I know we normally gloss over these (we're all pros, right? And user manuals are for losers!) but I reread an old Stihl manual the other day, and it had plenty of good info regarding use, handling, proper cuttting techniques, regular maintenance, as well as specifications letting the user know when certain parts need to be replaced.

Sorry I don't have more "sexy" info.... :(
Well said!!!

The husky and stihl manuals are a great source for felling information!

Husky USA videos on YouTube go in depth with maintenance and felling, I believe stihl does as well

USDA has a feller/bucker manual also. File is too big to post

Attachments

• Chainsaw Use, Safety & Directional Tree Felling Technology, March 2010.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Logging_Felling_&Bucking.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • WCB fallers_buckers.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • tree felling AK.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Excellent links Philbert. I look at using a chainsaw the same way as riding a street bike, anything and everything/everyone is out to get you and you cannot be to cautious. Cagers where able to get me to give up my bike, while they didn't get me it was just a matter of time and to many close calls.

Yeah, manuals and WorkSafeBC videos are very good.

But remember, you’re liable for the knowledge you impart to these people. You’re teaching them how to use a very dangerous tool, doing tasks that can go bad. You either need to get a signed waiver that states you are not liable for anything they do after the course (which may not be legal where you are) or have exceptional liability insurance.

Excellent links Philbert. I look at using a chainsaw the same way as riding a street bike, anything and everything/everyone is out to get you and you cannot be to cautious.
Lots of good resources out there, but also a lot of cr*p.
Caveat Emptor!
The ones I quoted are reliable sources IMO.
Plus, we learn when we share information and resources in forums like this.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back