Carlton File-O-Plate Depth Gauge Theory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if the depth gauge is higher than the chisel, why would the chisel
tilt back?

Have you actually tested your theory? I have had many customers
that were quite happy to find a tech that actually took down the
depth ga./raker height, their chains wouldn't cut worth a **** before.

You will not likely get many takers on your questions, those guys no longer surf here much.........

I will be going to the expo next month, I can ask Mr. Franzen, if you know
german......

I am not sure I agree with the Carlton theory 100%. There are other factors which prevent, the tooth from pivoting on its heel. For example as the tooth is filed back, the fulcrum becomes shorter and less of a turning moment results from wood contact. Also chain tension would be a factor here. If many teeth are cutting at the same time, the tension would prevent the teeth from pivoting and shortening the overall effective length of the chain. It would be interesting to see a video of a worn chain to see how much pivoting actually takes place.

If you'd like to see this in action, here is the YT link. Best one I've found. Watch it in 0.25x speed and prepare to be amazed!

Mike

I was just reading the Carlton Manual http://www.sawchain.com/images/complete book.pdf. They have an interesting theory about depth gauges. They state that the depth of the depth gauge setting should change as the cutting edge of the tooth is filed back. According to them it could change from 0.027" to as much as 0.045". Does anyone out there believe or follow this method?
I thought everybody knew that. If your going to maintain a 6° angle between the cutter & raker you have to take a lot off the raker as the cutter gets shorter.

I am not sure I agree with the Carlton theory 100%. There are other factors which prevent, the tooth from pivoting on its heel. For example as the tooth is filed back, the fulcrum becomes shorter and less of a turning moment results from wood contact. Also chain tension would be a factor here. If many teeth are cutting at the same time, the tension would prevent the teeth from pivoting and shortening the overall effective length of the chain. It would be interesting to see a video of a worn chain to see how much pivoting actually takes place.

Here is your video.... Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back