Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fiberglass hole is converting dead dinosaurs into noise and forward movement.
e14867bcc22620a3a3a17f91df2607ec.jpg
ebb0b6dd66d5b23ded666d6678e3d035.jpg
e2730e312ef495cbff1ad84b3e8d9324.jpg

Well Jimmy, time for me to pay the piper on my boat trailer. Noticed my disc brake pads were getting real thin so ordered a set....be here today. Knew all four tires were getting pretty thin......coming home from the island last night lost one somewhere between home and town.....about a mile or so.....made it home OK and went online and ordered 4 new ones.....be here tomorrow.....so....my point is.... sometimes with boats.... "The Hole" isn't always in the water , which for you to dump monies into!!!!!

Well Jimmy, time for me to pay the piper on my boat trailer. Noticed my disc brake pads were getting real thin so ordered a set....be here today. Knew all four tires were getting pretty thin......coming home from the island last night lost one somewhere between home and town.....about a mile or so.....made it home OK and went online and ordered 4 new ones.....be here tomorrow.....so....my point is.... sometimes with boats.... "The Hole" isn't always in the water , which for you to dump monies into!!!!!

John , do you hear a lil gurl with a Scottish accent cryin somewhere in the far off distance ?

Robin,

I have a bit over $500 in this little trailer getting it road worthy again. New tires, new hubs, new spare and rim, new marker lights, new rollers, new bow roller, winch strap, safety chains, and I had to make this keel slide to cover the metal. Apparently Shorland'r thinks boat trailers only last 20 years. Older than '99 and parts are NLA! Well.. I saw a 5 gallon bucket and said I have an idea. Now I learned that you cannot glue 5 gallon bucket plastic. Well.. I tried my hand at plastic "welding" to laminate the three layers together. Took three layers so I would have a smooth keel surface but be able to hold it to the metal with 4 heavy duty zip ties. Original had molded in bolts....I have not gotten that far along in my plastic welding experience.

Overall I am happy how it turned out.
e0adbb2352b131da28df6866d2dea2aa.jpg
ed12acffc4d56afec726d1964205f865.jpg
b74561a1047cef5c1ee4c826968f6532.jpg

Bucket plastic is damn tough stuff. In my old sawmill, in the saw trough, right under the saw guides is where all the sawdust hits coming right out of the cut.....the old fella that built the mill lined that area with galv sheet metal. Lot of abuse in a small area sometimes very violent.....the sheet metal would only last a month or so and would be worn through....then it would get debris under it and it would start to lift. Only about two inches from the tips of the saw teeth........typical rim speed is just a bit south of 10,000 feet per minute.....so you can see how a bit of flapping tin can upset the apple cart in a split second. I hated the tin thing because it was dangerous as well as a big maintenance PITA so I changed the bottom out to 2" thick red oak plank.......that wasn't as scary but went away remarkably quick as well......then I tried bucket plastic and was amazed how tough it is......never had to ever replace or fuss with it again......I've probably sawn 100.000 BFT of lumber since then and it's stihl there right now.....good stuff!!!

We did eat pretty well out to camp last weekend.......Sat night we had fresh corn-on-the-cob, some very tasty Spanish rice, a couple wee drams of Balvenie Caribbean Cask...........and these.....couple nice thick Swordfish steaks, marinated in fresh lemon juice, olive oil and fresh basil......cooked 'zactly 15 minutes on the charcoal...............................MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!!!!

IMG_0236.jpg

:****you:.........LOL......not cryin'......I LOVE NEW tyres and NEW brakes......I doo!!!......really.....:drinking:
Awww shucks......now I AM crying just a lil'.........that fifth emogee they offer on this site, they won't let show.....bummah...it was SO right for you Dan......LOL!!

Bucket plastic is damn tough stuff. In my old sawmill, in the saw trough, right under the saw guides is where all the sawdust hits coming right out of the cut.....the old fella that built the mill lined that area with galv sheet metal. Lot of abuse in a small area sometimes very violent.....the sheet metal would only last a month or so and would be worn through....then it would get debris under it and it would start to lift. Only about two inches from the tips of the saw teeth........typical rim speed is just a bit south of 10,000 feet per minute.....so you can see how a bit of flapping tin can upset the apple cart in a split second. I hated the tin thing because it was dangerous as well as a big maintenance PITA so I changed the bottom out to 2" thick red oak plank.......that wasn't as scary but went away remarkably quick as well......then I tried bucket plastic and was amazed how tough it is......never had to ever replace or fuss with it again......I've probably sawn 100.000 BFT of lumber since then and it's stihl there right now.....good stuff!!!

I got some plastic here that is about 1/4" thick and twice as tough as bucket plastic, we used to cut strips and attach them to snowmobile front runners, lasts well on gravel and bare pavement.

Back