Husky Progressive Depth Gauge Filing Guides?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some progressive depth gauge filing guides. It appear that Husky still makes them:

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/access...rs-filing-equipment/file-gauge-3-8/596285102/

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/access...g-equipment/combination-file-guide/596285401/

Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate any at any of the local dealers. So right now I am flying blind. So do any of you have any experience with either of these file guides and can make me a recommendation as to which to buy?

BTW, it looks like, at least, the plate guides might be made by someone else as they are stamped with "EM". Does anyone know who makes these for Husky?

I am looking for some progressive depth gauge filing guides. It appear that Husky still makes them: . . .
Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate any at any of the local dealers.
Any servicing Husky dealer should be able to order them (e.g. not Lowe's). Or vendors like Baileys:
Screen shot 2019-08-01 at 9.43.44 PM.png

I have used the swing out depth gauge tools on the Husky roller guides, but mostly use a standard depth gauge tool (and a grinder). The Husky guide did not work on a few low kickback chains, where the Oregon (fixed offset) depth gauge tool did.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-filing-guide-help.193131/ (Post #14)

Choose by the gauge of your chain. Most of the roller guides also have the depth gauge tool, but 1 or 2 of them do not. If you are happy with the way you file the cutters, get just the depth gauge part. A lot of guys like the roller guides.

Philbert

Is this the older type? It doesn't have the EM on it and doesn't seem to wear very quickly should I pick up more from the dealer?
20190802_182939.jpg
I think the idea of making your own is a good 1 and I will be looking into it if anything just too itch the saw hobby scratch on the cheap (who doesn't enjoy fiddling or sharpening or what ever?) I probably would start with a middle ground between hard and soft as sometimes from chisel to round and hard or soft and different brand chains is a big difference and a middle setting would be nice

The new gauges work fine, but I don't think the metal is hardened any longer, they don't last verg long and the file seems to cut them very easily. The older gauges were much harder and the file would just slide off without cutting into the gauge.
I was afraid of that! Do you remember if the hard ones were stamped "EM"

Does anyone know who "EM" is? I doubt that Husky makes these themselves.

Any servicing Husky dealer should be able to order them (e.g. not Lowe's). Or vendors like Baileys:
View attachment 750767

I tried two of our local "servicing" dealers. Neither had any product or could answer any questions. :angry:

I have used the swing out depth gauge tools on the Husky roller guides, but mostly use a standard depth gauge tool (and a grinder). The Husky guide did not work on a few low kickback chains, where the Oregon (fixed offset) depth gauge tool did.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-filing-guide-help.193131/ (Post #14)

Choose by the gauge of your chain. Most of the roller guides also have the depth gauge tool, but 1 or 2 of them do not. If you are happy with the way you file the cutters, get just the depth gauge part. A lot of guys like the roller guides.

Philbert

Did you have a chance to compare the straight flat raker guide to the one that is attached to the roller guide? I am just wondering if they are equivalent in dimensions. It does appear that the one attached to the roller guide is made of "harder" stainless while the flat raker guide appears to be just steel of unknown hardness.

I have an old set of the roller guides that are hardened, but the new set I bought last winter are not, so I just check height, file, check height again.
Were both of these Husky branded products? Would you happen to have the part numbers for either set? Obviously I would prefer to buy the hardened set if I could.

Well, after spending several hours on the internet last evening looking for these I think I have figured out some part numbers...

It looks like the best way to get the roller guide with the depth gauge "flag" on it is to just buy the whole sharpening kit which includes the guide, 2 round files, 1 flat, file, and a file handle.

Standard 3/8" - 531300081
.325 LP ( PIXEL) - 531300082

Both of these are available at Lowes. I didn't see a 3/8" LP or Picco listed on their site. Of course the one that I really need is...

Standard .325 - 505698194
3/8" LP - 505698193

It boggles my mind how supposedly the same Husky products can have more than one part number... And the ones on the Husky web site don't appear to be the ones readily available.

A separate post for the flat depth gauge file guides only. It appears that these too were known under different Husky part numbers. Here is what I think I figured out from the web...

Chain Type New Part Number Old Part Number
========= ============= ============
Standard 3/8" 5962851-02 5056981-01
Standard .325 5962851-01 5056981-00
3/8" LP 5962851-04 5056981-03

Now that I know the part numbers I'll have to see if either of the local dealers can order them. Online prices were pretty outrageous plus shipping. DSRP for any of these is about $7.00 according to the Husky web site.

I use the Oregon long flat guide. Not progressive though.
I don’t file across the gauge. I put it in place, drag the flat bottom of the flat file across the top of gauge. If it snags the depthgauge/tooth, remove the tool, stand it on end in the gullet to protect the sharp tooth from the flat file, and file the depth tooth a couple strokes. Put flat gauge pack in place and check again. Then round off the front of the tooth.

I don’t file across the gauge. I put it in place, drag the flat bottom of the flat file across the top of gauge. If it snags the depthgauge/tooth, remove the tool, stand it on end in the gullet to protect the sharp tooth from the flat file, and file the depth tooth a couple strokes. Put flat gauge pack in place and check again. Then round off the front of the tooth.
I like your method, I do the same with the soft progressive husky gauge.

This method works great, but takes a little more time.[emoji111]

Back