Getting into climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey folks, this might be the wrong forum, but if I want to get into learning about climbing, rigging, and topping trees, where would you suggest I start?

Is there a class that is worth taking, or will I need several classes? How much money does a climbing arborist need to invest (outside of saws) to get going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sucks and doesn't pay jack unless you work for yourself which takes many many years.

Want to learn take an ISA climbers course
International school of arborism.

I don't advise climbing and topping trees as a career.

Btw, you are probably looking at the single deadliest profession on earth.
I know they say logging is more dangerous because tree servicing gets lumped in with landscaping. Well its about 120 times more dangerous than being a cop.

Osha ain't testing that branch for weight bearing before you go up.
I have seen weird shiz happen no one could see coming and was only very fortunate to escape alive.

No way I would do this for anyone but myself.

X2 on what @Capitalist said. It’s a nice tool to have in your toolbox, but the equipment to get in the door is expensive to do it right, and then learning to do it right takes a while. The pay rates generally are not commensurate with the knowledge & tools required to do it.

Then, if you get to where you work for yourself, most companies don’t want to pay what it takes to stay in business.

This wouldn’t be for a career, this would be to maintain several acres of my family’s estate that needs attention. There are lots of trees that need pruning, thinning, removing of dead branches and limbs.
They don’t have the kind of money necessary to call someone in, and they keep asking me if I “know someone”. I would love to help them out, but I wouldn’t be doing it for the money to earn a living. More like a weekend warrior.

Best way to learn is to start at the bottom, work for someone who has good experience, not just years doing it.
If you're not looking at making a career out of it it's gonna be alot cheaper in the long run to have a pro do the work for you. By the time you add up all the gear and risk involved it's gonna be an expensive way to help someone save a few bucks.
Surely they can find someone who'll be reasonable on a no-cleanup job.
If you wan to learn as a hobby, there's a ton of good information out there. Start with the basics and no saws for a good while.

Tree Climbing is great fun. If you really want to do it, find a local tree service that will take you on and be ready to drag a lot of brush. It takes about 3 years to be proficient. But many people are climbing 8 months in.

It is super dangerous. But so is driving.

As far as money the best contract climbers do about $600/day around here. That sounds great until the Man takes 40% and insurance another 15%. Then you need a truck and equipment, health insurance, industrial space etc.

It’s actually a little better if you’re working steady for a company. Topping out around $25/hr with little or no benefits.

It’s no Tech job either way. But it’s more bad ass.

get the video set by gerald beranek. this is great info for anyone. you can see what is needed too learn.

This wouldn’t be for a career, this would be to maintain several acres of my family’s estate that needs attention. There are lots of trees that need pruning, thinning, removing of dead branches and limbs.
They don’t have the kind of money necessary to call someone in, and they keep asking me if I “know someone”. I would love to help them out, but I wouldn’t be doing it for the money to earn a living. More like a weekend warrior.

Rent a lift

The problem with a lift is access - there isn’t any. We already discussed it, but what we need is a climbing arborist booked solid for a week.

That’s a good point. Tow behind 50’ lift rentals are usually around $400/day or less and you can often rent on Friday and get the whole weekend. They’re a good way to learn techniques for cutting and height management without having to learn the climbing elements at the same time. Aerial lifts have a major place in Tree Work.

But climbing is way more fun. Scrambling around inside giant plants is deeply satisfying. If you want to climb and have all your faculties, just be careful and go for it.

Lifts are fun too!

Can you get anything close to that under say 70K?
I dunno. The ones I looked at were cmc like this and over 150k used.

It nearly eliminates the need for climbing and my big butt is just fine with that.

Back