346xp intake boot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there any way to change the intake boot on a 346xp without pulling the cylinder? This is on a saw I just barely rebuilt for a guy and it only made it two tanks before the intake boot started leaking. I already have a new one ordered, just need to know the best route to replacement. Also, what is the best way to deal with the stupid band clamp? It seemed to be leaking around that too. This has the metal clamp already.

Ok, thanks. Should I grind down the partition a little while its apart? The saw is ported and the base gasket deleted. (But no machining)

Should I be replacing any of the hard parts as well? Like the partition or the plastic adapter that the carb bolts to or just the rubber parts?
I was under the impression it was all one overmolded part until I started searching for a replacement.

I'm going to order these 2 parts. Does this look ok to everyone?
85b8745fd78fd83329a72ee62a052421.jpg
02b68df524eec508032b936da0bd15cd.jpg

I guess I'm not sure, but when I did my pressure test that was it was leaking from that area. I suppose it could be the impulse line as well. It was definitely leaking where the boot clamps to the jug though.

I have a second OEM boot on hand. Maybe I will just update the clamp and replace the impulse line. I will visually inspect the boots and use the better of the two.
I built this saw out of two carcasses so I have quite a few spare used parts around. I just dont want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I have a second OEM boot on hand. Maybe I will just update the clamp and replace the impulse line. I will visually inspect the boots and use the better of the two.
I built this saw out of two carcasses so I have quite a few spare used parts around. I just dont want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
I totally understand. With Stihl "0" saws I replace intakes pretty much every time.

Bummer about having to redo the cyl sealant. I had to do the same thing recently when I wasn't paying attention and got the flange on the wrong side of the partition.

Don't know how much it helps, but I followed someone's suggestion of putting a dab of hondabond around the intake of my 350 and have not had any problems with the regular metal clamp.

When I take my 350 apart I’ll measure the clamp to see if I can find a narrow stainless aircraft clamp. I might have some here mia.

I believe the 390 is a better fit also, the 372s I have won't fit the 2152 here, I need a 390 one, it's very close but I can't get it to fit.

Back