whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nice to think that I probably won’t have to worry about hiring a “climber” ever, basically. I guess what I’m saying is I’ve met some serious ******* wannabe/half ass climbers. Nice to have basically zero need now (between my own skills and the lift). :)

And with the ash borer hitting you guys hard it’s a no brainer. You’ve got a killer set up now. Sorry to see ol’ Stubs go though. I remember when you got it and all the problems out of the gate.

I didn’t realize you’ve been around here that long? Yeah, it was sad to see him go, but it was starting to cause me stress with him just sitting there unused, getting older. It was time to move on. I think if nobody was around I would’ve cried when he pulled away. Lol.

This monster fell down at a good Friend / neighbors house.

I told him please don't touch. He's skilled guy but this stuff is dangerous and his wife would kill me if I let something happen to him.... Many other people stopped by and gave him the old "oh I'll help you out... this weekend" and I knew that wouldn't end well.

So off to cutting and lots of it...

It was a tangle mess lots of cracked and split limbs, even some huge ones. Tons of tension and compression all over. large overhead limbs. It's on a downhill with and 6' embankment at the end. and The trunk has a 25' long split in the stem. Oh and of cousre and its hung up on dead tree... Its the tree that keeps on giving.... At least It did miss the house, the shed, and the cars. ...

Oak Trees aprox 48" in dia 90-100' tall over 100' crown and 10' wide 8' tall root ball
This probably the biggest and oldest blow down I've ever come across.
These pics are from the estimate we worked on the job yesterday so I'll have more coming.
i4rfwl.jpg

154k75e.jpg

This monster fell down at a good Friend / neighbors house.

I told him please don't touch. He's skilled guy but this stuff is dangerous and his wife would kill me if I let something happen to him.... Many other people stopped by and gave him the old "oh I'll help you out... this weekend" and I knew that wouldn't end well.

So off to cutting and lots of it...

It was a tangle mess lots of cracked and split limbs, even some huge ones. Tons of tension and compression all over. large overhead limbs. It's on a downhill with and 6' embankment at the end. and The trunk has a 25' long split in the stem. Oh and of cousre and its hung up on dead tree... Its the tree that keeps on giving.... At least It did miss the house, the shed, and the cars. ...

Oak Trees aprox 48" in dia 90-100' tall over 100' crown and 10' wide 8' tall root ball
This probably the biggest and oldest blow down I've ever come across.
These pics are from the estimate we worked on the job yesterday so I'll have more coming.
i4rfwl.jpg

154k75e.jpg
Looks like fun. Nice big stump/rootball to grind too.

Sweet talked the boss into letting me take our old bucket truck home this weekend... here's a nuisance 60' ish box elder I took out yesterday right on the corner of 2 neighboring properties
IMG_20190804_080230212.jpg IMG_20190804_080230212.jpg IMG_20190804_080245381.jpg IMG_20190804_080252754.jpg IMG_20190804_080256674.jpg IMG_20190804_080316972.jpg IMG_20190804_080337245.jpg IMG_20190804_080359824.jpg IMG_20190804_083540901.jpg

Sweet talked the boss into letting me take our old bucket truck home this weekend... here's a nuisance 60' ish box elder I took out yesterday right on the corner of 2 neighboring properties
View attachment 751267 View attachment 751267 View attachment 751268 View attachment 751269 View attachment 751271 View attachment 751272 View attachment 751273 View attachment 751274 View attachment 751275
Couple things I cant help but notice here..
First the easy one that's not a box elder it's a silver maple and second the even easier one to notice, you do know the goal of our profession is to not drop trees or pieces of trees onto houses....!
Then the most worry sum one what r the Vise grips holding together?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

First the easy one that's not a box elder it's a silver maple and second the even easier one to notice, you do know the goal of our profession is to not drop trees or pieces of trees onto houses....!

Lol!!! Well the first thing I have to say about all of that is.... I'm an electrician so it's not my profession so it's is 100% ok! The neighbor was in the driveway when it happened--- she laughed her butt off! It didn't fall quite where I aimed. I wanted it to catch the tree to the west as it fell and then gently fall between the two garages. That's the way it played out in my mind anyway, but it twisted as it fell. It actually landed top first really slowly, then gently laid down on the roof. As it happened, it seemed as though I meant to do it that way, but I know better. Thankfully she has a sense of humor! Secondly... It is a box elder, as far as I know... it has those little helicopter seeds in the spring time. Whatever it is I had fun with it!!

Oh and the vice grips were just holding a piece of plywood onto the bucket as a platform to set my saw on. I don't know how you professionals do it, but that worked well for me!

We have saw scabbards in the bucket. Box Elder = Swamp Maple. That's was a Silver Maple. Stihl too close to the houses. Those bastards get big and leggy.
Box Elder20190804_115349.jpg
Silver Maple 20190804_115414.jpg

Back