MS362cm spike/dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
(Not sure if that’s the preferred spelling of dogs/dawgs)

I’m tired of not having a useful bucking spike/felling dawg on my 362 (version 2). I know Stihl sells a double spike kit with a roller catcher. That looks cool and would probably be somewhat better but still quite small.

Any opinions on the best way to go here? The Stihl kit or something aftermarket? And if aftermarket, which ones? Need dual or will just one suffice?

I don’t need a crazy large spike, just big enough to be actually useful in some of the thicker barked hardwoods.

Ive gone to making my own as well as a few others on here. If someone will scan there's. A plasma cutter and dremil is what you need. If you don't have that option I'm sure someone who has fought that battle can help you out.

Buy the kit at Stihl with 2 dawgs, roller catcher & fasteners. You may need some small washers to install it and fine tune fitment. I have the 362 kit on my MS261's, there a good size, not too big, not too small.

I put a pair of Farmertech large daws and a roller chain catcher on my MS362.
The metal is pretty soft, but they seem to work just fine.

Correction:
Just checked and my 362 only has the larger inner dawg, the 036 has the large double dawgs, but no roller catcher. The large dawgs with the roller catcher are on the MS440.
Let me see if the inside MS440 dawgs will fit on the MS362.
The factory chain cover for the MS362 doesn't have a holes for mounting outside dawgs, so that would need to be replaced with an older metal unit.

Farmertec bucking spikes and clutch cover, fraction of the price, I updated my 362 from 1st edition mtronic

Attachments

• 20190530_122525.jpg
    20190530_122525.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20190530_122525.jpg
    20190530_122525.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
I put a pair of Farmertech large daws and a roller chain catcher on my MS362.
The metal is pretty soft, but they seem to work just fine.

Correction:
Just checked and my 362 only has the larger inner dawg, the 036 has the large double dawgs, but no roller catcher. The large dawgs with the roller catcher are on the MS440.
Let me see if the inside MS440 dawgs will fit on the MS362.
The factory chain cover for the MS362 doesn't have a holes for mounting outside dawgs, so that would need to be replaced with an older metal unit.

The factory cover on the 362 has recesses to be drilled to receive the dawgs...you don't need an older metal clutch cover lol.

Dawgs from a 440 will mount on a 362 but they won't line up.

Back