Jonsered 621 bar oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a really nice 621 parts list on Chainsaw Collectors corner, bottom of the page where it lists the specs. Not sure if this link will work ...

Model Profile: 621

There is a really nice 621 parts list on Chainsaw Collectors corner, bottom of the page where it lists the specs. Not sure if this link will work ...

That 1984 one is the only only one I have seen on the Internet, but the optional chain brake isn't illustrated there. Does anyone have one that show it?

Great link

Thanks cambl, that is a great link, the 621 specs. and a brilliant Workshop Manual. Now I need to concentrate and get my head 'round the contents. This is a really helpful site, with a lot of helpful and informed members.

Gerdo.

Hello all. I have run a jonsered 621 from new in 1979 ish. After an incident in the bowl of a large willow tree in Worcestershire uk in 2005 i needed some spares for the handle of this saw. I soon bought another donor saw very used, and was up and running in no time. After using this site for info to repair a stihl 023 (found in the severn river) , I caught some awfull bug, worse than your ACD. Looking more closely at my donor 621, it looses chain oil into crankcase, hence its demise. On further examination it seems it MAY simply be the 'o' rings around the pump behind the hexagonal holed bolt. I am aware that it could be crankcase gasket, but saw runs well with no bar oil and filler removed. These o rings are a strange (to me) size ? If any one entirely familiar with this area of this saw could come up with an answer as to if oil CAN get from pump to crankcase, it may be i have another runner. Trouble is, i'll then need another for parts ! I do have the original parts diagram somewhere, but cannot find it. Jim.

Hello all. I have run a jonsered 621 from new in 1979 ish. After an incident in the bowl of a large willow tree in Worcestershire uk in 2005 i needed some spares for the handle of this saw. I soon bought another donor saw very used, and was up and running in no time. After using this site for info to repair a stihl 023 (found in the severn river) , I caught some awfull bug, worse than your ACD. Looking more closely at my donor 621, it looses chain oil into crankcase, hence its demise. On further examination it seems it MAY simply be the 'o' rings around the pump behind the hexagonal holed bolt. I am aware that it could be crankcase gasket, but saw runs well with no bar oil and filler removed. These o rings are a strange (to me) size ? If any one entirely familiar with this area of this saw could come up with an answer as to if oil CAN get from pump to crankcase, it may be i have another runner. Trouble is, i'll then need another for parts ! I do have the original parts diagram somewhere, but cannot find it. Jim.

You are entirely correct that you can have a leak that gets into the crankcase. It will come in behind the seal and through the bearings. The o-rings are special sizes and I don't think you can get them.....at least I can't in the U.S. You just need another oiler. Check with Spike60 as he is a sponsor. Good luck!

You are entirely correct that you can have a leak that gets into the crankcase. It will come in behind the seal and through the bearings. The o-rings are special sizes and I don't think you can get them.....at least I can't in the U.S. You just need another oiler. Check with Spike60 as he is a sponsor. Good luck!

I used auto A/C orings when I replaced them on my 70E, perfect fit. It also leaked oil into the crankcase

AC O'RINGS for 621 pump.

Well hello all. Delighted to hear this saw CAN leak oil into crankcase via pump ! Don't fancy paying the air fare for a new pump. By the time our customs add VAT, import duty etc etc it would probably cheaper to heat with oil ! However, thanks for the tip about ac o'rings. I would not have guessed that one. I believe they are a totally different series and i have an ac repair shop 3 miles away. If i get any joy, i will try to get manufacturer part no / dimensions. Would it be fair to assume that seal that is leaking is one nearest to operating cam ? Presumably though, if i found one i'd also find the rest. We shall see. Allways liked these saws, have a feel of real quality, but they do get heavy. Thanks for info. Jim.

Well hello all. Delighted to hear this saw CAN leak oil into crankcase via pump ! Don't fancy paying the air fare for a new pump. By the time our customs add VAT, import duty etc etc it would probably cheaper to heat with oil ! However, thanks for the tip about ac o'rings. I would not have guessed that one. I believe they are a totally different series and i have an ac repair shop 3 miles away. If i get any joy, i will try to get manufacturer part no / dimensions. Would it be fair to assume that seal that is leaking is one nearest to operating cam ? Presumably though, if i found one i'd also find the rest. We shall see. Allways liked these saws, have a feel of real quality, but they do get heavy. Thanks for info. Jim.

I would replace all of the orings, most if not all of them were shot on my saw.

I have another concern with the chain oiler , as near as I can tell there is a rubber hose between the pickup , behind the filter cover, and the crankshaft portion of the casting , I struggled most of the afternoon trying to connect the case side of the hose , am I time ahead to split the cases to make this connection , and is this truly the way the oil is drawn from the tank and routed to the chain ?

Got my dads Jonsered 621. Man what a work horse saw. I can't wait til I inherit this saw from him. Anyways, he had me clean up the saw and also look into the bar oil that would always be sitting on the ground under the saw after it sat for some time. These are my observations:

Dad hasn't cleaned out the sawdust and debris behind the clutch housing in ages. The clutch housing area was packed with oil soaked sawdust. It was obvious this oil would slowly drip down and leave a small pool on the floor. Cleaned up everything and it all seemed ok. I ran the saw and noticed bar oil shooting all over. I found the circled bolt in the attached image almost all the way out. Wondering if this bolt adjusts the bar oiler? I turned the bolt all the way in then backed it out 2 turns and the oil isn't slinging all over. Am I on the right track?
Yeah, Winsconsin!

I own a 621 and it is the only saw I could never part ways with. You got it right, bud. You remind me that mine could use a good cleaning. Once it's yours, you'll be the proud owner of possibly the best saw ever made. I have never had one single problem with mine. Good gas and spark and it will go.

Since I bought it for $75 in 2000, I have made +/- 100 full cords with it. Still runs strong. It's almost always in my truck, ready to go. I just worry that, if it ever needs a new oiler, I might be out of luck.

Yeah, Winsconsin!

I own a 621 and it is the only saw I could never part ways with. You got it right, bud. You remind me that mine could use a good cleaning. Once it's yours, you'll be the proud owner of possibly the best saw ever made. I have never had one single problem with mine. Good gas and spark and it will go.

Since I bought it for $75 in 2000, I have made +/- 100 full cords with it. Still runs strong. It's almost always in my truck, ready to go. I just worry that, if it ever needs a new oiler, I might be out of luck.

I have a few if yours ever quits. However, I have not ever had one give me trouble. Just post a reply on here as I don't get much time to visit AS anymore. I would work on my Jonsereds(I have lots of 621's to put together), but between school and wanting to fish as much as I can, I don't get as much done as I used to. :)

I have a few if yours ever quits. However, I have not ever had one give me trouble. Just post a reply on here as I don't get much time to visit AS anymore. I would work on my Jonsereds(I have lots of 621's to put together), but between school and wanting to fish as much as I can, I don't get as much done as I used to. :)
Hey, thanks. Like I said, best saw ever made, IMHO. Never had a problem with ANT part on this saw. Good: fuel, air and spark and she's firing up.

I think I'm going to sell my Oly 264f Deluxe and put it towards a Chinese G660 ($300 for a pseudo 066, amazing). Not that the Oly has been at all bad. Great saw.

Thanks for the offer, though. I was just told the oilers are hard to find.

I just had a week of fishing (Northern WI) and came back with 6 nice freezer few bags of walleye/bluegill/crappie. Largemouth action was unreal; but I throw those pack for the kiddies to catch.

Hope you catch yours, bud.

Back