Saw Snort?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve always been curious why some saws and trimmers snort when you hit the gas and some don’t. It seems hit and miss new old, cheap, pro grade, new it doesn’t matter. The snorting condition seems to go away once they rev up. Is it the air filter maybe, or something to do with the scavenging system?

If you mean snort as in a bogging or delay in acceleration then yes it happens.

Sometimes it can be tuned out, but I have found with cheaper units the carbs on these are absolutely as cheap as can be. Poor casting, poor drilling of orifices and the lack of proper check valves can lead to it being impossible to tune out.

This is especially true of most resi weed eaters and the poulan 3314 chainsaw. With their cheapo carbs you will never achieve the same acceleration, deceleration and return to a proper isle like a pro saw.

Even allowing these units to breath properly you can’t tune it out with their crap carbs.

I really wish you could just order a walbro carb from walbro to replace the Zama and other branded garbage. This is not to say that Zama is bad, their carbs for the 550xp are rather good imo, at least the current ones.

Hopefully that’s the question I think you are talking about

If you mean snort as in a bogging or delay in acceleration then yes it happens.

Sometimes it can be tuned out, but I have found with cheaper units the carbs on these are absolutely as cheap as can be. Poor casting, poor drilling of orifices and the lack of proper check valves can lead to it being impossible to tune out.

This is especially true of most resi weed eaters and the poulan 3314 chainsaw. With their cheapo carbs you will never achieve the same acceleration, deceleration and return to a proper isle like a pro saw.

Even allowing these units to breath properly you can’t tune it out with their crap carbs.

I really wish you could just order a walbro carb from walbro to replace the Zama and other branded garbage. This is not to say that Zama is bad, their carbs for the 550xp are rather good imo, at least the current ones.

Hopefully that’s the question I think you are talking about
It’s close but I’m not talking about bog so much as just the noise. Almost all weed eaters and poulans I’ve ever seen made this noise when you press the gas, my pro grade Tanaka trimmer makes it, the Stihl 028 I used to run would also made the noise as well. It sounds like when a saw gets bogged, but that’s how they normally sound, and are setup to run that way I guess, my trimmer has always run this way out the box.

He snorts too. I’ve never really worried about it if the piece of gear runs how it’s supposed to. When I was running FS 250s they almost all did it. My 046 does it until it gets warm.

Attachments

• 6EC9070E-1C26-4DBB-B39C-A34DE1716FAF.jpeg
    6EC9070E-1C26-4DBB-B39C-A34DE1716FAF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Could it be the carb sucking air? I noticed once I got into the huskys there quiet i was use to hearing the chain de accelerate going around the bar. It’s a split second noise. My previous saws were too noisy.

Almost sounds like a 4 barrel carb with the air cleaner off and the secondaries are kicking in?

If you let a saw sit for awhile, say six months, it will usually snort when you try to start it and it usually takes lots of extra pulls to get it going. Old fuel is the most likely cause. Eventually the carb may clear it out all by itself. Most of mine do. Give it a couple of years without running and you will have major carb problems that a snort will likely not clear out.

My redmax g5000 and g450avs have a snort when I snap the throttle open hot or cold, my clones versions have it too. My most of my small saws and the 070 clone don't have it though but my little zomax with the husqy 35 muffler has a pretty big snort. Seem to me like it is a combination of tune and how open the muffler is.

Could it be the carb sucking air? I noticed once I got into the huskys there quiet i was use to hearing the chain de accelerate going around the bar. It’s a split second noise. My previous saws were too noisy.

Almost sounds like a 4 barrel carb with the air cleaner off and the secondaries are kicking in?
That’s what it sounds like, exactly. Like you had to take the breather off to prop the choke plate open and you are having to manually get something to start and you can see and hear gas getting jetted right down the throttle body.

My new 1970 husky 240sg was quiet and I like hearing the carb sucking air with the noise of the chain whizzing around the bar.

You nailed it!

I heard this for the first time when I ran my 5.4 ford with a K&n cold air intake ten years ago, almost a gurgle sound or “snort” lol as originally posted

Air cleaner baffles. Air cleaner size.
Air filter material type and size.
Port timing and shapes.
Or in other words, general Intake tract length and shape.
Shape of saw body plastics will affect sound level, where the sound is directed and to an extent, the tone of it.

You can also ask how much the exhaust noise masks the intake snort.

A couple of decibels coming from the intake means the manufacturer has to stuff up the muffler to meet noise ratings.
It's all a balancing act on their part, to get performance but keep noise levels at required limits.

On my old 240sg from the 70’s I can hear it without my ear near it with it just in my hands. It’s a quiet little saw but mean as a wolverine when you pull the trigger.

Listen closely to the 240se snort the split second it goes to rev.

Latest posts

Back