Friction saver help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer311

Reaction score
I have a question I’m hoping someone can help me with. I just purchased the friction saver from rope logic and noticed it sustained significant damage to the ring bound loop prusik after one use. Several strands of the prusik loop had become frayed and separated, even though it never slipped. I’m concerned the prusik loop will fail after a few uses - the friction saver was used within the manufacturers recommendations when I ascended and descending from the palm tree. Does anyone know how to prevent this kind of accelerated wear and tear?

811F4BBD-A024-4B72-B126-F82A1A59E979.jpeg 3B9BDF91-EE9B-4726-B551-15EAD1D1EAC0.jpeg 3AB7B38E-F0B5-4818-9C33-FB77A6A17333.jpeg Pics would help - let me know your thoughts on this.

Can’t imagine that sort of deterioration is normal after one use

Yeah, that's excessive for one use, but not unsafe IMO, yet. Was your line running over it?

Good question - Line was not running over it. I used the friction saver as my safety lanyard. Prusik loop was snug enough so I could ascend without issues.

Here’s a setup example for reference -

Was the yellow prusik cord discoloured like that when you got it, or after you climbed? It looks like it got bleached from a chemical or something and made the fibres weak. The yellow areas don't seem as frayed.

Maybe something to do with the palm tree being abrasive or sharp? I have zero experience with palms, so can't help there.

I've seen that wear pattern on a tress cord after a single rapid descent. The wear doesn't look like it happened in the configuration in which it is tied.

I've never seen one lose color that fast. The prussik being made out of Tenex or whatever will pick really easily, especially if was being moved constantly against aggressive bark, I don't personally worry about it but everybody has their own comfort level.

Sterling sells some for a good price, they grab well, and the RIT doesn't pick easily at all.

It looks like the prussic was twisted out of shape. The knot is not set correctly or it may have been side loaded putting more stress on one side than the other. You may have jerked it out of shape when you retrieved it from the palm, those things will bind your rope so bad it's hard just to pull the rope through. When I am pruning palms I get a rope around the heart and rig it Ddrt without a friction saver.

Back