Was the Jonsered 2071 or 2171 sold in Australia?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctorcc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around for one of either of these here down under. Can any one confirm whether or not these were sold here in Australia back in the day? I know the Husky 371/372 are the same saw in different Frocks. Cheers

I've never heard of Redmax sold here?
It's relatively new. Globally "for better or for worse" :nofunny: the Jonsered and Redmax brands have been merged, the name and mix of products varying from country to country.
Interestingly in Australia, it looks like only the top-handle model is Zenoah/Redmax sourced. The others are renamed Jonsereds.

They WERE here across the ditch, so I imaging you would have gotten them on your side of the ditch.
No longer able to get Jonsered here now, no longer imported. I believe Husqvarna NZ put the squeeze on them to stop bringing in direct competition- least that is the story I have been told by what was the local Jonsered agents.
The 2171's are a very good powerhead and would be worth grabbing if you can find one.

Thanks for replies. Don't understand how Jonsered are competition for Husky or do Husky not own them any longer? Are Redmax & Jonsered seperate from Husky now?

Jonsered have been no more than in-house competition for Husqvarna since being acquired by Electrolux in the late '70s, and that situation remains, as does the pre-eminence of the Husqvarna brand within what is now "The "Husvarna Group".

In-house brands can never truly compete with each other. Partner has already almost completely fizzled out. The US is Husqvarna Group's biggest market and they've recently gained the right to use the McCulloch brand in North America. With so many brands, something has to give, and one of those things is that Husqvarna Group has decided to merge a brand that has been allowed to languish (Jonsered) with the Zenoah-sourced Redmax brand that is well-known in the US.

I was actually hoping to come across the older 2071 (late 90's/early 2000's) for instance sold 2nd hand. I have 3 2050's (I know their Husky 49 clones, just a decade later in drag) & want a solid 70 odd cc for larger cutting as I have the chance now & then to hack away @ fallen Gums on a Racecourse near me. Even the used Husky equivalents (371/372) to the 2071 or even the 2171 I can't see around for sale. All you see here are Stihl/s everywhere. I only use these 50's for heavy cutting twice a year with my 2036 for all the small stuff in between. I have one 2050 with a 16" bar that does most of my 6" to 14" odd cutting & the other an 18" for larger stuff but, it works pretty hard for a 22 years old saw cutting 16" odd gums. Not sure if most in the US are familiar with the extremely hard gums we have down here, not to mention if their not green you'll see sparks flying off even with a freshly sharpened chain. The Red gums & some others are especially rock hard. The poor 2050's get hot very quickly cutting down near the large bases. I don't want to fry them as I've done once before with a Tanaka Japanese saw years back but, it was more due to chain getting too blunt (my fault)...

I was actually hoping to come across the older 2071 (late 90's/early 2000's) for instance sold 2nd hand. I have 3 2050's (I know their Husky 49 clones, just a decade later in drag) & want a solid 70 odd cc for larger cutting as I have the chance now & then to hack away @ fallen Gums on a Racecourse near me. Even the used Husky equivalents (371/372) to the 2071 or even the 2171 I can't see around for sale. All you see here are Stihl/s everywhere. I only use these 50's for heavy cutting twice a year with my 2036 for all the small stuff in between. I have one 2050 with a 16" bar that does most of my 6" to 14" odd cutting & the other an 18" for larger stuff but, it works pretty hard for a 22 years old saw cutting 16" odd gums. Not sure if most in the US are familiar with the extremely hard gums we have down here, not to mention if their not green you'll see sparks flying off even with a freshly sharpened chain. The Red gums & some others are especially rock hard. The poor 2050's get hot very quickly cutting down near the large bases. I don't want to fry them as I've done once before with a Tanaka Japanese saw years back but, it was more due to chain getting too blunt (my fault)...

Aint nothing like dead dry Gum trees to scortch up the odd bar or three. :surprised3:

What about going older?
Husqvarna 61, 66 268, 272, 281, 288.

Um........ not Red, not Red, not Red, not Red, not Red and not Red. :numberone:
A good 2171 will not only keep up with your older Orange list- it will walk all over 90% of them.

Back