Does m-tronic 4-stroke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, the advantage of m-tronic is it keeps the saw in ideal tune? We are taught to tune a saw to '4-stroke,' run a bit rough-sounding at max rpm's so it will perform in the cut. Is that what the m-tronic does, keep the saw in that spot?

It will tune it to be perfect supposedly and not too rich or lean. But as things change like temperature, altitude, dirty air filter, different grade fuel, it will automatically compensate for that to keep the saw in tune all the time.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Yep. That's what they say. I like the system. But don't really believe all the sales pitch. Almost does everything a fuel injected engine does but with nowhere near the amount of sensors.
Now that's magic. Nothing more than magic. Or bullchit. The choice is yours.
It keeps fuel supply correct for a given rpm and temp. And that's a definite plus.
Yet, they WILL flood if put in start position when hot.
So 4 stroke, not really. When they came out, MS441, I would have sworn they were going to seize from running to lean.
Just from the sound of them. I was very wrong.

Yep. That's what they say. I like the system. But don't really believe all the sales pitch. Almost does everything a fuel injected engine does but with nowhere near the amount of sensors.
Now that's magic. Nothing more than magic. Or bullchit. The choice is yours.
It keeps fuel supply correct for a given rpm and temp. And that's a definite plus.
Yet, they WILL flood if put in start position when hot.
So 4 stroke, not really. When they came out, MS441, I would have sworn they were going to seize from running to lean.
Just from the sound of them. I was very wrong.
Do we know if they last as many hours as non auto tune saws? The only people who would know is production guys. Haven't been out long enough for firewood guys to wear one out yet

Do we know if they last as many hours as non auto tune saws? The only people who would know is production guys. Haven't been out long enough for firewood guys to wear one out yet

Yes, they do. I get ~3500 hours from a 441C, or around 4000 from a 461. The 441s are crew saws and don’t see as much maintenance... And not always as sharp a chain, as the 461s I run myself.

No load a 441 will bounce off a rev limiter which sounds like it’s four stroking, but I really don’t think it is.

No load a 441 will bounce off a rev limiter which sounds like it’s four stroking, but I really don’t think it is.
i would tend to agree. simply because youll get the same result, the rev limter, whether its tuned just right or super lean. not the computer limiting rpms, its the coil.

I haven’t seen any proof they don’t. I see lack of maintenance problems.
Mostly wood dust bypassing a/f’s
And aside from the 201t’s, the system has been very very reliable.

They run slightly on the rich side. Non m-tronic models are tuned in the factory to lamda 0,9 (in Germany) and I think it is the same or similar with the software settings on the m-tronic control units.

Why not?, been out a few years.
Some guys I know where out a saw or two a year.

Have had them through the Stihl line.
661,441 and now 241.
At this point I don't understand any lingering apprehension folks have in M-tronic. (not saying OP does)

The system works great.
Does it 4 stroke? Maybe sometimes you'll hear that sound.
Does it matter since there is nothing to tune?
Finding that 4Stroke sound is a tuning aid. If you're not tuning .....

I had read that fuel quality sensor was dropped, as it was behaving strangely with premixes other than original brand. I could have this mistaken for auto tune and not mtronic. Anyone with info?

I think the real test would be milling, has anyone done extensive milling with mtronic?

Latest posts

Back