Echo CS-352 Air Filter is Terrible

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdNorCal

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The cs352 filter lets debris into the carb. I tried putting some grease on the fitting as others have suggested but this did not help. I then tried filling the cavity area around the filter with thin foam filter material. This seemed to not help much either.

Today I added a strip of filter foam around the filter joint area and secured it with a zip tie. I also stuffed pieces of foam inside the H/L and Idle holes.

I called Echo customer service three times. First two times I waited several minutes then got hungup. Third call I waited then was forced to leave a voice mail. Lame!!

Any other suggestions, other then dont waste time calling Echo, are appreciated.

Foam 2.jpg Foam.jpg

If you can return it and get a makita. The saws in that class have a fantastic filter. Not to mention its an all around great running saw.

If you can return it and get a makita. The saws in that class have a fantastic filter. Not to mention its an all around great running saw.
Dolkita filter
de6821034be3ce88de1dda8b58eb3563.jpg

Well... I did ask for suggestions. lol

Cant return it and wanted a small, light, saw. The Makita 35cc filter does not look impressive. Maybe it does not leak though... Was originally thinking of getting the cs400 but wanted lighter then that for my second saw. Maybe the cs400 would have been the way to go as that filter looks very good.

Back to reality and the cs352 filter.

Cant return it and wanted a small, light, saw. The Makita 35cc filter does not look impressive. Maybe it does not leak though... Was originally thinking of getting the cs400 but wanted lighter then that for my second saw. Maybe the cs400 would have been the way to go as that filter looks very good.

I have a couple 400, they have the round auto type pleated filter. I still use a thin film of grease around the top and bottom but it does work.

[emoji23] just a makita nut. And your right it would take a significant upgraid to get that filter. The makita stock 6421 filter has that same problem tho but grease does fix I know from personal exp. Maybe for yours a strong double sided tape and cut that foam in a Strip. Tape the foam to the inlet wjere the filter peice is inserted creating a tighter seal? Idk man just random thoughts. Good luck

[emoji23] just a makita nut. And your right it would take a significant upgraid to get that filter. The makita stock 6421 filter has that same problem tho but grease does fix I know from personal exp. Maybe for yours a strong double sided tape and cut that foam in a Strip. Tape the foam to the inlet wjere the filter peice is inserted creating a tighter seal? Idk man just random thoughts. Good luck

Appreciate the thoughts. The challenge with the filter is it twists on and has three pieces that stickout from the mounting base.

Maybe my grease application needs to be increased. Applied it three different times and their should be plenty if it were going to work.

cs352 filter.jpg

That's an interesting observation with your Echo. I just pulled the filter on my CS490 and there was zero dust/ debris on the clean side of the filter. Not sure whats going on with your saw.

For my 550 I have applied white silicone, yes the stuff you use to caulk a window. Apply a bead around the sealing area and lock the filter in, let it dry for a few hours before you use the saw.

When you remove the filter, the silicone breaks it’s seal easily and can easily be pulled off. This is a much better option than rtv which sticks to plastic too well once dried.

I would like to get a thin rubber o ring for the 550, but have not found one big enough.

Can you show a side and top picture of the air horn that it locks into? Maybe I could help you more then

Carb Intake.jpg

Here is Echo's email response:

Thank you for your e-mail to ECHO Incorporated!

I tried to locate a service bulletin. However, there is not one for this issue. I would advise you to bring it into a dealer for a proper inspection.
To locate the nearest Authorized ECHO Servicing Dealer, please contact our dealer referral line at 1-800-432-ECHO (3246), or visit our web site at http://www.echo-usa.com/Store-Locator.

View attachment 752082

I'd try a O ring on the air horn so it seals better and oil the filter with foam filter oil for dirt bike filters.
Since wrapping stuff around the air horn didn't help im guessing it's sucking dirt through the mesh, this is pretty common, some claim it doesn't hurt the saw.

The mesh/filter material was added yesterday. I have not tried it yet with that installed. Was curious what others have done besides grease.

That’s really my only complaint about the saw too. I think it’s just dust making its way through the filter itself. I like the idea of hitting it with some dirt bike filter oil. I use notoil in my bikes. I might have to give it a shot. Or I wonder if buying a filter “sock” would work (like what people use when running bikes in sand a lot)

The sock/pre filter is a good idea. I originally wanted to wrap the filter with the thin filter material as a pre filter but did not have enough. I have KN moto filter oil for my KN filter but dont think its a good idea as more debris will stick to it and this filter does not look like it can be washed

Agreed. A couple of pieces were larger then one would expect to pass through the filter and or connection.

Tin-knocker may be correct in that the debris is actually going through the filter element. The pursuit continues.

I’ve tried sealing the connection to the carb and I KNOW I sealed it well and I was still getting dust. Pretty sure it’s just crappy filter media. So far I’ve just been seeing dust. No chunks yet. But like I said that’s really the only issue I’ve had with this saw. They’re nice little saws to keep in the truck

Probably stating the obvious here, but is the chain nice and sharp? Have you knocked the depth gauges down to allow the cutters a nice path to remove chips? A sharp chain will produce nice chips while a dull chain will produce lots of dust.

Back