044 STIHL MELTING WORM GEAR ON OILER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Of all the 044's I have built, this is the baddest saw ever. Love the way it cuts and the power but I have a problem. When refilling the first tank of gas after building it, I found the oil tank still full. This thing was cutting 24" hard apple wood as fast as I could move with no sign of the bar and chain getting hot. Just used no oil. Tore it apart and the nylon worm gear on the oiler was melted. I ordered a new oiler, installed it all. Same thing. Thought maybe my crank seal was too high and drove it in. Melted down another worm gear. Still no oil. Another new oiler, checked oil hose, filter and drill through holes again and all clear. Checked clutch sprocket part number, and other components. All seem correct. All are OEM Stihl. The only thing I can figure is the washer between the worm gear and clutch is wrong. My book shows a big one and little one. I have both, but the offset and diameter of the offset in the middle seem the same on both to me. I had the small on on it. Any ideas? Ordering a 4th worm gear. Another week and it will be here. 1 week for each gear. This is getting old but at least is has rained every week but one since January so there have been lot of days it was not needed. Cheers.

Of all the 044's I have built, this is the baddest saw ever. Love the way it cuts and the power but I have a problem. When refilling the first tank of gas after building it, I found the oil tank still full. This thing was cutting 24" hard apple wood as fast as I could move with no sign of the bar and chain getting hot. Just used no oil. Tore it apart and the nylon worm gear on the oiler was melted. I ordered a new oiler, installed it all. Same thing. Thought maybe my crank seal was too high and drove it in. Melted down another worm gear. Still no oil. Another new oiler, checked oil hose, filter and drill through holes again and all clear. Checked clutch sprocket part number, and other components. All seem correct. All are OEM Stihl. The only thing I can figure is the washer between the worm gear and clutch is wrong. My book shows a big one and little one. I have both, but the offset and diameter of the offset in the middle seem the same on both to me. I had the small on on it. Any ideas? Ordering a 4th worm gear. Another week and it will be here. 1 week for each gear. This is getting old but at least is has rained every week but one since January so there have been lot of days it was not needed. Cheers.
@pioneerguy600

Buy a OEM worm gear, ran into this same issue when I used a few AM ones, went all OEM and problem solved!

1st 2 were OEM. third was Farmer which was the only on correct and complete in the order. ORDERED 2 more from stihl. I have the big washer. trying that way when parts show. d

Only times I have seen the driver stripping is if the oil pump shaft seized up. When I put in a new oil pump drive I try it by turning it by hand to make sure everything is moving together correctly. When installing the clutch drum make sure the drive arm mates with the notch in the drum.

I do make sure the spring is in the notch. I always turn it to a position where I can see it. The threads are good on the worm gears, just that the top side where the spring is melts down. I am hoping the big washer does it. The pump gears do turn with my thumb. Cheers. d

I have not seen any problems between the washers, small or large and the oil pump driver. The washers do require a different model number clutch as the older clutch will scrape/bind on the larger newer cover washer.

Does the drum look discolored? Is the clutch shoe surface area flat, along with the shoes.
More power put to a so so drive....
I only post this because you make no mention of the chain drive condition.

Here is a bulletin.
Thank you. That is good to know. I had a box of the big washers and didn't remember why I had them. It does have the new style clutch so maybe the washer swap will be the fix. Will know in a week when the new worm gear shows up. Damn chemo is really messing up my remembering these things bad. Dealer parts guys never know about bulletins any more it seems. Cheers.

oil pumps will lock up and burn the threads.check and see how hard it spins.

Start the saw with out a bar on it and no clutch cover to see if it is oiling, but first spin the clutch by hand to make sure it turns free

I tried that 2 times. No bar and melted the worm gear. Spring no-longer engages as it shift out of the notch when the nylon melts. When the new gear comes in, I think I will try using a shim washer just a few thousandths thick instead of the much thicker oem washer. I have a drawer full of various shim washers.

Back