.043 v micro .043 chains?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctorcc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I ordered some .043 gauge chains to use on MS170/180 Stihls. What was delivered was "micro lite" chains! They are the same weight as a Pole saw chain which I understand the need for a faster chain with less drag. But, why use it on the regular small saws?

The Stihl MS170/180 standard chain is a .050 gauge as many would know using these saws. I get the desire for some to use the less weighted .043 gauge chain/bar set up for lite work. What I can't fathom is why do they make the micro lite option on these non-pole saws? Seems ridiculous & caused me a drama with customers I service saws for when these turned up! I had no response to the question why? They look like a neckless rather than a chain....

You ordered .043 gauge chains, and got them?
And you are mad?
I wasn't mad but rather, miffed. Thought I made it clear. The micro lite chains came when I wanted the ones with larger cutters on them, similar to size of the .050. I hadn't known of the micro's other than for the Pole saws before I noted these that turned up yesterday....

To better explain. There are 2 different .043 chains available for these small saws apparently... But why? Next time I will stipulate no micro lite ones I guess? Even the seller doesn't get it. That's why I am confused...

I believe the only saws that comes with the 1/4” chain is the MS 150 and some battery saws. There .043 3/8lp and .043 1/4”
Apparently not. The MS170 & 180 @ least have the option of the thinner chain & bars. Was news to me until yesterday as I've only ever seen the standard .050

Around here the 170 comes with the 3/8lp .043
That is what I received. The .043 3/8lp but it has cutting teeth the same size as the pole saws. I have the .043lp 3/8 that has the larger cutters. That's why I am confused with these...

We have the .050 gauge 3/8lp 50dl bar & chain set up here as well. That's the thing...

What is the model/part number on the box?
The pic I showed is loops of the 91vxl chain, in 52 and 56 link loops.
If your chains are .043, then they would start with "90" instead of "91".

The picture of chain doesn't justify what I say. I don;t have the thicker 3/8 .043 chain to compare as I sold the last yesterday.... The cutter links along with rest of chain in pic are tiny & weigh bugger all, as a pole saw link does.

IMG20190809123324.jpg IMG20190809123447.jpg

This is a 050 gauge 3/8 chain beside the smaller one posted above that I'm on about. But the cutter links on the 050 gauge are the same size as the other 3/8 .043 chains I sold out of yesterday.

IMG20190809124634.jpg

Ok, spoke to an old timer that runs a Stihl shop. The 170 & 180's ran the .043 gauge stock. Problem I have is this seller doesn't understand that he has sent me pole saw weighted chains. The .050 gauge bars & chains I've got here recently have been replaced by owners or previous owners of their saws.

Needless to say, I'll be returning these ****** chains to seller who still won't accept he is mistaken.

Thanks for all your help guyz :) HarleyT, thasnks for your effort. Full chizel, yes, we do have the .043 gauge here as standard & I too think this seller has sent me 1/4" but I wasn't aware of either fact until now. My bad...

Latest posts

Back