The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering. Twas’t there nor qualified, just thinking to myself about falling the small one first to make a perch to fall the big one. Boards are for folks who know more than me and who are more sure footed. Thanks, Ron

Boards aren't so bad, they are bendy and a little strange to stand on, cause of the flex, but not so bad, unless you look down

The bad thing about them is you really don't have anywhere to go except jump if things go sideways, and you're stuck pretty close to the tree, so maneuvering the saw can be a little awkward, but some planning and forethought help

Just wondering. Twas’t there nor qualified, just thinking to myself about falling the small one first to make a perch to fall the big one. Boards are for folks who know more than me and who are more sure footed. Thanks, Ron

Boards are handy and once you get used to them you can move around pretty good. I always liked a wider board than Matt uses but I'm a klutz and need the extra room.
Getting a board set right and still being tight enough to not wobble much and yet be able to jump-move it when you need to is key.
I always liked to use two boards whenever possible.

And, like Matt said, getting off the board quickly and with some measure of grace is always the hardest part. I've seen...and done...some pretty spectacular crash landings coming off of a board.

sold off some equipment over the last couple days, the ole 5yd dumper truck found a new home with an enterprising neighbor

The real fun story is the old electric braked trailer went down the road today, sold it around noon. Ran down bellow to get some lunch groceries and spend some money at the farmers supply oh and retrieve the fire truck from one of the last jobs (past fire season its not needed anymore).

So were gone like 3 hours, as we were leaving town noticed that the dudes what bought it pulled into NAPA, I figured cause their trucks wiring was set up different (RV vs heavy equipment) welp they made it across the street, hopefully to get themselfs some lunch cause they had a 4 hour drive home, but knowing that trailer it pulled some sort of back flip and broke something on them...

Anyway their tail lights were working as I drove by, didnt stop as i didnt want them to give it back to me

Good news is I think I might have room to park all my junk at the house now, at least the road legal stuff... Gods I need an acre and a shop

Strange. I was looking up info on brown cubical rot in redwoods on bing. When I searched the images, seven of them were pics I had taken and posted in various places on the web. I guess I can now cite myself as an expert in the subject. Like hell.

Spot my boo boo... Never fails, especially when I’m on someone else’s machine.

At least the youngling dog still loves me.

Attachments

• 95FD3651-ACAC-47C9-B304-5A6678617874.jpeg
    95FD3651-ACAC-47C9-B304-5A6678617874.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • BF2F4054-4C3B-432C-B70F-E71B94EE97D5.jpeg
    BF2F4054-4C3B-432C-B70F-E71B94EE97D5.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 55
I assume you left a drill bit sitting on the tire and it created that little hole at 2:00. What happen in the politicalsaw, I mean chainsaw, forum? Ron

Nah, I ****ed the backhoe tire back right before Christmas... I think the post says it’s from the 22nd. At least it wasn’t my machine, but I wasn’t getting paid much to run it either. It’s a John Deere anyway, who cares? If it was Power Tan I would have been upset. Backhoe tires aren’t awefully expensive and that rim was already messed up. It does have a chunk out of the sidewall but all it did was knock it off the bead.

That last post was an end mill, it started life off with a square end. I was machining some spacer plates for a bush hog gearbox... Getting close to johnson grass knock down time again.

My setup wasn’t ridgid enough, nor was I using anything to clear chips during the pass since it was such a short run and I was running 1/2” carbide in the old Bridgeport and it chattered, grabbed some chips, tried to shove them between the flutes and promptly snapped it right off. That’s a $57 tool, that I might be able to regrind but it’s missing over half the usable cutting area so I think I’ll be sending it to the “art” bin.

FAAAAHCK! I bet @northmanlogging knows what happened.

Also, I remembered why I stay out of the chainsaw forum today.
Feed rate to aggressive (read rapid travel) or sketchy work holding, that or trying to use an endmill as a drill and or reamer.

Adversely, seen way to many "experienced" machinists use reamers as end mills... which sadly works better then one might think, but still not a trick I would pull unless dire macgyver circumstances.

Life is far better in the woods!

God damn trucks are expensive. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a crummy, but it’s just an XLT without many add ons.

I could buy a decent 160 for not much more than that.

Attachments

• 1E7BFB2D-5AC7-4607-BDB6-561D029ADD57.png
    1E7BFB2D-5AC7-4607-BDB6-561D029ADD57.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 15
buy used, let someone else take the hit on resale, interiors can be detailed (used to work next door to a place that would clean up after dead people... cars houses boats suicide, murder etc) you'd never know there was a bloody corpse in the car a week before you bought it...

God damn trucks are expensive. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a crummy, but it’s just an XLT without many add ons.

I could buy a decent 160 for not much more than that.

It has to be demand.

I've been wrong before but I recall a time where a small car was 20k and a full size 4x4 pickup was 30k. Now a small car is........20k, and a full size pickup is............. 50-60k.

And that's gas. God forbid a guy want's a diesel.

It has to be demand.

I've been wrong before but I recall a time where a small car was 20k and a full size 4x4 pickup was 30k. Now a small car is........20k, and a full size pickup is............. 50-60k.

And that's gas. God forbid a guy want's a diesel.

All-State in Louisville sells the F-250 4x4, with the diesel, a step above base model (STX) for $49,000 all day long. I don’t know how, but they do. The truck I built up there was a diesel, too. Here's the link (while this truck is still for sale): https://www.allstateford.com/new/Fo...20a0e0adf2631514f70b7d9a8.htm?searchDepth=1:7

If that truck had a long bed, and the “camper package” I probably would have bought it by now. (Camper package: extra rear springs, F-250s squat way down with any sort of pin weight, albeit their GVWR is 10,000 so no DOT physical or commercial insurance where you need with a 350-the first depending on how its registered and the second depending on what state you’re in. They’re both ******** but that’s for another time.)

You can get a base model diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 for $45,000. Some dealers will actually deal, and others won’t come off MSRP at all. All-State does a lot of fleet sales and moves high volumes of vehicles. They get economies of scale. Tri-County that’s 30 miles away, close to my house and shop might sell a dozen 3/4 or 1 ton trucks a year. They don’t come much off MSRP at all.

The truck I just sold, was $42,000 new in 2002. It was a 350, diesel, Lariat dually. Now a Lariat with the same stuff (like the one dad just bought) is $65-70,000. That’s essentially pricing keeping up with inflation, or a little more, mind you a Lariat today has a lot more stuff on it than it did in 2002. Now, wage growth generally has fallen well below the inflation rate. Some of that is due to the stuff that occurred in 2008, some of it, well, that belongs in another forum because business practices and ethics tend to become a hotly debated topic. That’s the reality, and why this stuff is so hard to afford.

It’s just a pain in the ass.

Back