.043 v micro .043 chains?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was of the understanding standard chain for the MS 170 was .043 and if you have .050 bars fitted to these saws you order chain to suit the bar- not the powerhead's original spec?
Yeah Bob, you'd think but bar wasn't known @ the time. Also, the .043 chains delivered have smaller, narrower cutting links than my other .043 ones for the MS170's. This is what I find bazaar....

I acquired a Stihl 170 and I purchased a rim/drum, a new bar and chain I hope I get the proper chain for it. I wanted a few Stihl saws to go with my huskys so I can see how the other half of the world cuts with them.

I acquired a Stihl 170 and I purchased a rim/drum, a new bar and chain I hope I get the proper chain for it. I wanted a few Stihl saws to go with my huskys so I can see how the other half of the world cuts with them.
After agonising with Stihl dealer here. The MS170 & 180 both had the .043 gauge bar & chains standard. The 170 had the 14" & the 180 could have either the 14" bar & chain combo or 16" but both were .043. This was the dilemma for me that someone in their infinite wisdom decided to replace both saws I had here with the .050 gauge combos.

The best way to tell, besides the chains obviously being lighter gauge (which caught my attention in the first place is that the .043 bars @ least on the 170 have the narrow bar nose that reduces kickback & apparently, cuts easier. Hope this helps for those who like me was'nt clued up as I'm not a Stihl man but rather a Husky guy. Pretty sure the smaller Husky saws are .050 gauge. Huge learning curve considering chain ordering errors....

Micro Lite is a trade name on a line of their bars.
Down here they use terms like Picco lite also to describe the .043 size chains, just as the Micro Lite you mention but, I've seen these other very light weight chains that are physically different looking & don't understand that some saw chains are listed the same as the Pole saw chains yet, I'd thought all Pole saw chains were lighter again then any chainsaw chain. They definitely look like having narrower cutters on them than the other 3/8"LP saw chains I see & even measured smaller with a vernier caliper. That's the cutters though so, maybe that's the thing? Yiu can get smaller cutters on some .043 chains? I'd understand that for Pole saws but for chainsaws to use such small cutter links I don't get for the life of me? Face palm stuff....

Down here they use terms like Picco lite also to describe the .043 size chains, just as the Micro Lite you mention but, I've seen these other very light weight chains that are physically different looking & don't understand that some saw chains are listed the same as the Pole saw chains yet, I'd thought all Pole saw chains were lighter again then any chainsaw chain. They definitely look like having narrower cutters on them than the other 3/8"LP saw chains I see & even measured smaller with a vernier caliper. That's the cutters though so, maybe that's the thing? Yiu can get smaller cutters on some .043 chains? I'd understand that for Pole saws but for chainsaws to use such small cutter links I don't get for the life of me? Face palm stuff....
You're hung up on this pole saw chain thing. 0.043" is supposed to be different chain that makes a narrower kerf and takes less power. The 0.043" chain from Oregon in the 90 series (mostly 90PX these days), and it has taller, narrower cutters than 91, and makes a considerably narrower kerf than 91 (more than just the 0.007" difference in the drive tang width). It's fast chain and it isn't weak, I've run it on ported 40cc saws with 16" bars.

The 0.043" chain from Carlton and TriLink (like you showed) is garbage, as it uses the same cutters as the 0.050" low pro, just with a 0.007" narrower drive link. It has little advantage over 0.050" in terms of reduced power loss, although it fits the bar. So you sent back the good stuff and kept the junk.

Oregon also makes skip chain versions of both 91 and 90 (often used on pole saws) which you would not want on a normal chainsaw.

You're hung up on this pole saw chain thing. 0.043" is supposed to be different chain that makes a narrower kerf and takes less power. The 0.043" chain from Oregon in the 90 series (mostly 90PX these days), and it has taller, narrower cutters than 91, and makes a considerably narrower kerf than 91 (more than just the 0.007" difference in the drive tang width). It's fast chain and it isn't weak, I've run it on ported 40cc saws with 16" bars.

The 0.043" chain from Carlton and TriLink (like you showed) is garbage, as it uses the same cutters as the 0.050" low pro, just with a 0.007" narrower drive link. It has little advantage over 0.050" in terms of reduced power loss, although it fits the bar. So you sent back the good stuff and kept the junk.

Oregon also makes skip chain versions of both 91 and 90 (often used on pole saws) which you would not want on a normal chainsaw.
The bar was a .050 I needed the chain for & that's what led me to see the 2 different .043 chains... Thanks for the info

I have a dilemma. I ordered some .043 gauge chains to use on MS170/180 Stihls. What was delivered was "micro lite" chains! They are the same weight as a Pole saw chain which I understand the need for a faster chain with less drag. But, why use it on the regular small saws?

The .043 gauge is standard issue on MS170/180 around here. Check the configuration on the Stihl web site. Yes, they do belong only on pole saws!

The Stihl MS170/180 standard chain is a .050 gauge as many would know using these saws. I get the desire for some to use the less weighted .043 gauge chain/bar set up for lite work. What I can't fathom is why do they make the micro lite option on these non-pole saws? Seems ridiculous & caused me a drama with customers I service saws for when these turned up! I had no response to the question why? They look like a neckless rather than a chain....

The .050" is an UPGRADE that the dealer can install if asked at the time of purchase. I just converted a handful of these to .050" 3/8" LP and they perform MUCH better!

The .043 gauge is standard issue on MS170/180 around here. Check the configuration on the Stihl web site. Yes, they do belong only on pole saws!

The .050" is an UPGRADE that the dealer can install if asked at the time of purchase. I just converted a handful of these to .050" 3/8" LP and they perform MUCH better!
Sorry for all the posts as it's gotten confusing again. That earlier post of mine you quoted me on (2nd quote in your post above) was the bar I'd found on the 017 saw & didn't realise it was simply an upgrade until I'd researched further, as other posts afterwards explained.

The main outstanding issue here is the fact I have seen 2 different .043 gauge chains. One obviously that suits the common MS017. The other, I'm presuming is meant for the Pole saws only, as it has physically narrower & what I see as shorter cutting teeth. Looks silly on the MS017, but the seller I encountered assures me that these puny chains are for the MS170 saw. I even took pics of each different .043 chains side by side & sent it to him. He still maintains there is no difference. Talk about a kuffle....

I have seen these skip tooth chains on a few chainsaws of late. This adds to why I've posted here to get some clarity as I must have a few strange saw bar/chain set ups that I am encountering. Kinda like tilt* tilt* beggers belief. Many novice home use customers here that you wouldn't believe exist....

Back