Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not to break up the oil thread's theme... lol, but speaking of woodworking. isn't scrounging woodworking... well, of sorts. still working on my ez fenceline sit down seat project. old screws, while ok cleaned just can't cut it. so all been replaced with real wood screws suitable to hold well. in new wood. decided where metal meets underside of seat, no new wood, screw in studs. I like studs! :DP1140010.JPG P1140012.JPG

then once finally set, all I need is 8-32 washer, lock and nut. I have them all. but think I will ck out some other locks at Lowes or HD...

my other woodworking project is for sitting down once tired from cutting scrounged wood. lol... part of it required some gluing and clamping.P1040080.JPG

MM - did u post up any pix of ur table in use? dinner on it at the cabin?....

for my finish, now that all items r stained for that $4500 dark walnut table look... ;) I am using Varathane Exterior Spar Finish; oil based. slick stuff. I was first introduced to it as a teenager. my dad used it to finish the rifle stocks he made. after all the prepwork got done and applied and processed... the final work included hand buffing with super fine pumice for finish work. final result... deep glass-look! mine is ruff at best as to finished wood, etc... old wood had on hand. but has one kicka** finished look to it. i did however, skip the pumice work. lol. pix at 11

Woodworking you say. Ok, progress report on the chest of drawers is drawers glued and rough sanded. Can't decide if going with a box carcase all dovetailed together like a Japanese style or more colonial with a top overhang and scocia. Got an idea for handles to try out tomorrow. Will either be epic or total disaster. Could go either way.
Mandatory pic:
IMG_20190810_203601.jpg

I don't go to a gym, but working out will provide benefits that few "jobs" can replicate, … it is good to do both.

Stretching, core exercises, and anaerobic exercises are all very beneficial toward your long term health.

Push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, knee bends, hand grips, stretching (all kinds), dumbbells, running, biking, hitting the bag … all good stuff.

i do need to check the 365. first time i used it it was 4 stroking badly and i did't have any hard wood but finally managed to get it cleaning up really leaning on it hard in ome soft wood. i leaned it bit but didn't do much. finished the tank and put it away. then i read in the manual...it has a rev limiter....bouncing off the limiter sounds kinda waaaa burbleburble waaaa burblburle waaaa burbrbl burble OOOOoooooo so lean and rich sound different how? and no...no i don't have a tach. i keep meaning to put it back to xactly stock, 1 turn, and leave it alone.
Turn the high out until its blubbering like mad, then run it in slowly until it stops and you should hear the difference, from the limted rpm a 1/4 to a half turn will get you where you need to be.
Of course you could get a black unlimited coil and install it and then you'd know right where it's 4-stroking at. It can be difficult with a limiter.
Be sure to run 40:1 in that saw, they have plastic bearing cages and like to be well lubed.

Woodworking? I don't know how you guys get your splits so straight and square - this is what mine look like after I was done "woodworking" on Thursday night. :D

View attachment 752437
Nice load.
You have to work the chain over a little to get them real smooth.
Top is a 3/8 chain I just finished, bottom is a brand new husky 325 chain, this was cut running as much pressure as the saw would allow without bogging below the power curve. The wood is seasoned cherry, its quite hard. Sorry about the oil splatter on the bottom lol.
20190808_154038.jpg

Woodworking you say. Ok, progress report on the chest of drawers is drawers glued and rough sanded. Can't decide if going with a box carcase all dovetailed together like a Japanese style or more colonial with a top overhang and scocia. Got an idea for handles to try out tomorrow. Will either be epic or total disaster. Could go either way. Mandatory pic: View attachment 752417

hi kiwi - I have been thinking of a handle for my tossed-out scrounged seat project. lots over at L and HD... then I remembered I have an old garage door handle from my old wood garage door. think it just might work. price is right! :D your work looks good...

I don't go to a gym, but working out will provide benefits that few "jobs" can replicate, … it is good to do both. stretching, core exercises, and anaerobic exercises are all very beneficial toward your long term health. Push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, knee bends, hand grips, stretching (all kinds), dumbbells, running, biking, hitting the bag … all good stuff.

right on MM! I remember USMC OCS. the push ups! the pull ups! "no, not that way Candidate... this way!!" lol... the leg lifts on the tarmac... and deep knee bends, too. and the running. omg, the running!... learned to do that b4 I entered. din't want the USMC 'teaching' me how to run!! lol. we din't hit the bag often... we did hit each other - pugil stix... and we hit the O-Course, too. now there is a ba**-buster if I have ever run into such... and of course, we also had a few dumbells, too. they self-dropped sooner or later!

as for running... I was a committed runner for over 40 years! 3 & 6 miler kind of runner. and with what I now know about the human body and ageing... and bike riding... I would never have been a runner, but I would definitely have been a bike rider. I am aghast :eek: at these strongman tv shows... lifting such weight... and the abuse to the body! oh well... each to his own. one thing for sure... if a person lives long enough... time will catch up to them. all the info is out there, too bad some can't heed to it...

how it was...
zps.jpg

Well , was back at the gym today

pd5xrk7.jpg

Stretching, pulling, lifting, choker setting, felling, delimbing, winching and chipping :)

3rcUyx2.jpg

Sure was !
Got some apple , oak, maple and one small thorny tree added to the pile , we chipped the popple .

4JT0z2M.jpg

hdw2pMJ.jpg

That corner of the lot had thick small growth .
Noise bylaw sez quiet time till 11:00 am tomorrow @ 200' to the nearest resi so we'll start down by the roadside tomorrow am , the big treeline :)

Back