Scored an 044 project, I may suck!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pictures, that sheds some light on the matter..

Most of parts that aren't in the picture are in a box, the saw was partially dissasembled when I got it.

It has the standard filter setup now althought it is missing the mount with the stud that holds the filter and cover, the worm gear for the oil pump and a couple odds and ends.

It appears to be mostly all there. I've been a stihl guy since Ive been cutting wood so i have lots of odds and ends to piece this one back together.

Have built several Husqvarnas lately, I feared I was heading to the orange side, this one should put me back to the cremesickle/orange saw kind of guy that I am.

I plan on upgrading to the HD setup on this one for sure.

I know it's a bit late now, but the HD filter set up is not really much of an upgrade. They are notorious for letting fines in, and add half a pound to the weight of that saw. On an 046, it doesn't much matter as it's heavy to begin with, but an 044 with a standard filter set up weighs nearly what a 60cc saw weighs.
And with this one simple trick Stihl doesn't want you to know, you an increase the air flow if you're concerned about it.

169615637.2LsCNGPJ.jpg

All day long cutting very dry seasoned oak, with loads of dust in the air, and look, ma - no fines:

169615638.Mhlf8JQf.jpg

This is a 10mm 044 with an ignition advance, so a pretty tough saw that obviously is getting plenty of air and kicking plenty of ass. Wearing a 24" bar and semi chisel chain in hard oak. The second cut starts in a knot and ends in a pinch - not a bother:

Since I'm deep into my CAD journey I'm constantly looking for good project saws to build.

Was picking up my new 576xp that my buddy built for me yesterday and he knew I've been looking for an 044 project.

He pulled out a bin with a super dirty 044 in it. At first I was thinking this thing better be cheap. When I had a closer look I got super excited.

Heres a few pictures.

NW9GwEJ.jpg
6lzSpqt.jpg
yzkzrhv.jpg
Vf6Ve8c.jpg

I'm not sure what year it is, serial number is X133807665, looks like it is a 12mm by the crank cases. Its also an arctic model with heated grips and carb.

Underneath all the crap was a pretty clean saw, all the parts are there except its missing the pull cord, handle and some of the recoil parts inside. The handle is cracked at the fuel tank so it will need a new tank assembly..No biggie.

It came with 2 mufflers, a single port and a brand new dual port.

The saw has tons of compression..

I pulled the muffler and the piston is like new.

Heres the exhaust side:
XsYsCnO.jpg
XXJLIj9.jpg

Top of the piston is so dirty from sitting open but the bore looks good
KRFvXDj.jpg

Intake side:
H8gLZCw.jpg
O58UNII.jpg

I plan to do a vac and pressure and then pull the top end to do a good cleaning of the piston and cylinder.

I may need to flush out the cases to if I find dirt in there..

So happy he let me have this saw, i had to pay for it but not much. I have been wanting an 044 but I've also wanted a saw with heated grips for winter cutting!!

I think I got a great deal!

I GOT A 044 LAST YEAR WE DID A COMPLETE OVERHAUL ON IT LAST WINTER PUT A NEW METEOR JUG AND PISTON IN IT CABER RINGS PORTED MUFFLER SKID PLATE ON THE BOTTOM IF YOUR SAW IS A PRE 2000 MODEL ITS A 10MM WRIST PIN SO YOU CAN'T UPGRADE TO THE BIGGER CYLINDER BUT MINE SEEMS TO RUN GREAT BUT IM GOING TO PUT A 8 TOOTH SPROCKET ON IT JUST TO SPEED UP THE CHAIN ON A 25 IN. BAR

Since I'm deep into my CAD journey I'm constantly looking for good project saws to build.

Was picking up my new 576xp that my buddy built for me yesterday and he knew I've been looking for an 044 project.

He pulled out a bin with a super dirty 044 in it. At first I was thinking this thing better be cheap. When I had a closer look I got super excited.

Heres a few pictures.

NW9GwEJ.jpg
6lzSpqt.jpg
yzkzrhv.jpg
Vf6Ve8c.jpg

I'm not sure what year it is, serial number is X133807665, looks like it is a 12mm by the crank cases. Its also an arctic model with heated grips and carb.

Underneath all the crap was a pretty clean saw, all the parts are there except its missing the pull cord, handle and some of the recoil parts inside. The handle is cracked at the fuel tank so it will need a new tank assembly..No biggie.

It came with 2 mufflers, a single port and a brand new dual port.

The saw has tons of compression..

I pulled the muffler and the piston is like new.

Heres the exhaust side:
XsYsCnO.jpg
XXJLIj9.jpg

Top of the piston is so dirty from sitting open but the bore looks good
KRFvXDj.jpg

Intake side:
H8gLZCw.jpg
O58UNII.jpg

I plan to do a vac and pressure and then pull the top end to do a good cleaning of the piston and cylinder.

I may need to flush out the cases to if I find dirt in there..

So happy he let me have this saw, i had to pay for it but not much. I have been wanting an 044 but I've also wanted a saw with heated grips for winter cutting!!

I think I got a great deal!

It's dry as a desert, don't pull the chord yet. Congrats!

Heres an update.

So this project went very easy, infact I got real lucky on this one.

The top end turned out to be like new once I pulled it. The rings had a couple thou wear but not enought to concern me.

The bottom end was also fine, I rinsed it out to flush the years of dust but that was it. The crank seals passed pressure and vac so even those stayed.

I ended up ordering a farmertec handle/gastank and one of their knock off hd filter kits. I installed a new clutch bearing, sprocket and oil pump gear.

I pieced together a recoil from an oem one and a new AM recoil.

I had to rewire quite a bit of the saw as the wiring for the heated handles was very brittle and broken. I thought it may end up not working it was all so bad.

I polished off the parts ordering with a big ol pair of dogs which seem to work well so far.

I did a no base gasket build and the squish ended up at .020" which again was lucky just like the rest of the build.

Heres some pictures.

kj9sqz2.jpg
sv6us1t.jpg
HM1ZT1F.jpg
VjrFlac.jpg
G0tIaby.jpg
jHb22lQ.jpg

I'm still waiting for my carb kit to arrive in the mail, I inspected the carb and the diaphram was soft stil so I through the saw together just for fun..

It has big compression, I have to really mean it when I pull it over.

My neighbor has a 30" or so tree lying in his yard from last year so figured ill throw my 25" bar and a 33rs stihl chain on the 044 and do some test cuts.

Ive never run an 044 so I guess its up to you guys if shes a runner or not? Saw feels very strong to me.

Brought along my 576 non at with a 20" bar and an oregon EXL chain on it for comparison.

I really lucked out on this one.

I now have a pretty minty 044 that runs strong for peanuts. Oh and the heated grips work to boot.

So i guess I still suck!!

Which one do you prefer?

Which one do you prefer?

Thats an easy question to answer..

The 044 hands down all the way.. Its like 2 or 3 lbs lighter, pulls a 25" bar almost as well as the 576 and for limbing the 044 is way more nimble.

Now i like the 576xp, its the smoothest big saw ive ever run, its fairly quiet and it has big power.

But the 044 is a legendary saw for a reason, a well tuned 044 will hold its own even against saws that are way newer..

Back