550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberjackboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 550 xp keeps stalling when hot. I had to dealer and they said it had a burnt ring and now it's still doing it.it got so bad today it would start and then die. After it cooled down for half hour it worked great again

Question ... was it a blistering hot day or not too bad? i.e. does it only do this stutter on very hot days or has it also done this on a cooler day?

550xp and 562xp have had hot start issues due to heat soak caused by what seems to the very close proximity of the carb to the swept back cylinder design.
The workaround for me has been 1) open up the muffler 2) provide a larger escape hole for trapped heat to escape through the cover 3) create an aluminum tape firewall between the carb and the cylinder to reflect some of the heat away from the carb.

Not saying this is your problem, just giving you a heads up to the hot start issue that has affected many of these Husky saws, in case it might be part of the equation.

Question ... was it a blistering hot day or not too bad? i.e. does it only do this stutter on very hot days or has it also done this on a cooler day?

550xp and 562xp have had hot start issues due to heat soak caused by what seems to the very close proximity of the carb to the swept back cylinder design.
The workaround for me has been 1) open up the muffler 2) provide a larger escape hole for trapped heat to escape through the cover 3) create an aluminum tape firewall between the carb and the cylinder to reflect some of the heat away from the carb.

Not saying this is your problem, just giving you a heads up to the hot start issue that has affected many of these Husky saws, in case it might be part of the equation.
Thanks for the reply Not overly hot no. It worked great for the first half hour then went right back to its old tricks it's getting discouraging seeing last Bill on it was $146 dollars. I have had the saw for 4 or 5 years now and it never worked like this before in much hotter weather. I'm kinda thing fuel too cause first time it stalled it was down to quarter tank of gas I filled it back up and worked great again for 10 or 15 minutes. Kinda strange why it would only do it though after it got warmed up

You can see the piston and ring if you remove the muffler. Pull the start chord until the ring comes into view. Post a pic.

A faulty coil can run fine until it gets hot.

Thanks for the reply Not overly hot no. It worked great for the first half hour then went right back to its old tricks it's getting discouraging seeing last Bill on it was $146 dollars. I have had the saw for 4 or 5 years now and it never worked like this before in much hotter weather. I'm kinda thing fuel too cause first time it stalled it was down to quarter tank of gas I filled it back up and worked great again for 10 or 15 minutes. Kinda strange why it would only do it though after it got warmed up
Have you made sure tank vent is clear? Muffler screen clear? Next time it does that open your fuel cap and try to restart, if it starts, time to clean vent.

Yes here is what I have done to mine. I would make a slightly larger hole in the cover.
There is a plastic knock out plug under the carb, it’s 1/4x1/2” long. Punch that out with a screw driver, this will let enough convection flow through the air box. I do not have a picture of this but it is incredibly obvious with the carb off and the only way to access it.
The white crap around air filter connection is sealant, in case you are wondering.

There is a great thread about this, everything seems to point to the primer line as the weakness to heat. I wrapped this area in tape as well, I have yet to have a really hot day to try these things out.

Attachments

• 25395A1D-94AD-48B9-80EA-BCC93A089F14.jpeg
    25395A1D-94AD-48B9-80EA-BCC93A089F14.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • F12C3827-AB0E-4738-ACB7-2E2ED753989E.jpeg
    F12C3827-AB0E-4738-ACB7-2E2ED753989E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 25
Have you made sure tank vent is clear? Muffler screen clear? Next time it does that open your fuel cap and try to restart, if it starts, time to clean vent.
Duce, how do you remove the vent on the 550? Can it just be plucked out? I’ve never done it before

Back