How many cut more than they have to just to run a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may be guilty of cutting just a little more than needed myself.
I've sold a little, but mainly to friends.
Here's one pile, it's grown a little :innocent:.
Hard to get a good idea of the size of it.View attachment 629018View attachment 629019
****, I got about seven or eight 70+ year olds Japanese neighbors that would immediately abandon me as a friend if you were around :) thats about all I split in one season for myself, though I share with neighbors who cannot any more. You would be an instant hit with them :)

I could probably get by supplying myself in firewood with two or three trips to the wood lot, but I enjoy running a saw so much I cut as often as I can, even if I don't need the wood. Somebody else needs some so it doesn't go to waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same thing here sir. We are a dedicated bunch :)
I’ll go out and mill and I don’t even need the wood. Yesterday I went out and cut cookies just for fun to test out a couple mods

Life is good

****, I got about seven or eight 70+ year olds Japanese neighbors that would immediately abandon me as a friend if you were around :) thats about all I split in one season for myself, though I share with neighbors who cannot any more. You would be an instant hit with them :)
Hey I like friends, but I wouldn't want to take yours :).
That's at least 15 cord there(you burn a lot), the pile doubled plus a little that yr and I added a few cord to it last summer, but I also sold a bunch of it last winter and I burned a couple cord myself so everything in that picture is now gone. It looks different because I removed the black locust tree that's on the far left of my first picture in the above post.
Here's what it looks like now plus another trailer load(two added this yr), I'm trying not to bring anymore home because I need more room for materials when I build my pole barn. Adding the first trailer load of rounds you couldn't even tell I put it on the pile.
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.18.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.18.00 AM.png
I didn't add the pine logs.
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.22.16 AM.png
You can see how I set up to split off the trailer, and where all the first trailer load went.
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.18.31 AM.png

Took half a row over to neighbors last weekend and stacked it in their shed. Gave a row to a couple last winter (husband had a stroke).
Why in the heck would anyone cut more than they use? Have another 6 or more oak wilt trees to drop and stack this fall, good friend dropped several nice size logs off 2 weeks ago and have been helping him with hay fields. I would rather be outside when not at work or sleeping. IMG_8600.JPG IMG_8601.JPG IMG_8598.JPG My best reason is turning 66 and time is running out, so get busy.

Parents and I both heat with wood with OWB's. We've never "run out" so to speak but last year I got close and we always seem to be burning green garbage, so I'm jealous of some of these wood piles for sure. Cant seem to keep up no matter how long the saw runs. Doesn't make it as fun.

Hitting it hard hard hard this year. I'm pretty much split, racked and set for this winter, and I'd like to be picky enough to set the oak aside for another year of seasoning and burn up the ash, cherry, walnut cottonwood and boxelder.

Took half a row over to neighbors last weekend and stacked it in their shed. Gave a row to a couple last winter (husband had a stroke).
Why in the heck would anyone cut more than they use? Have another 6 or more oak wilt trees to drop and stack this fall, good friend dropped several nice size logs off 2 weeks ago and have been helping him with hay fields. I would rather be outside when not at work or sleeping. View attachment 752822 View attachment 752823 View attachment 752824 My best reason is turning 66 and time is running out, so get busy.

Yeah, that oak wilt is taking a lot of our northern oaks isn't it. I have a cabin 5 mi. east of grayling on the Main Stream, & it has hit most of the red oaks. I have just a few young whites that show no signs of distress so far.

Yeah, that oak wilt is taking a lot of our northern oaks isn't it. I have a cabin 5 mi. east of grayling on the Main Stream, & it has hit most of the red oaks. I have just a few young whites that show no signs of distress so far.
White oak is resistant to wilt. Most of my property is red oak and will be gone from oak wilt or gypsy moths. Great lakes tree removal does a lot of work and seems to never stop, says it's job security, but could live without it.

Hey I like friends, but I wouldn't want to take yours :).
That's at least 15 cord there(you burn a lot), the pile doubled plus a little that yr and I added a few cord to it last summer, but I also sold a bunch of it last winter and I burned a couple cord myself so everything in that picture is now gone. It looks different because I removed the black locust tree that's on the far left of my first picture in the above post.
Here's what it looks like now plus another trailer load(two added this yr), I'm trying not to bring anymore home because I need more room for materials when I build my pole barn. Adding the first trailer load of rounds you couldn't even tell I put it on the pile.
View attachment 752821
View attachment 752816
I didn't add the pine logs.
View attachment 752817
You can see how I set up to split off the trailer, and where all the first trailer load went.
View attachment 752820

sorry I could have worded that better that is about what i do each year including what I give away. I only use about a third (or possibly less) of it as I give the rest to the older folks that live near my cabin. I only burn on the weekends, but I do believe that a house that is below 80 degrees in the winter is sacrilege ;)

A friend had some stuff bugging him needed to talk and went over there. Had a couple tall skinny pines next to his trailer, dead. After some coffee & listening he asked if I could bring a saw next time to drop them. There was almost no fuel in the chainsaw, but the pole saw had enough to trim all the branches and make the face and back cuts from a distance:laughing: brought the 10 foot trunks off the stump back with me:yes:. And his worlds problems were lessened.
We all carry a saw or a few just in case ?

sorry I could have worded that better that is about what i do each year including what I give away. I only use about a third (or possibly less) of it as I give the rest to the older folks that live near my cabin. I only burn on the weekends, but I do believe that a house that is below 80 degrees in the winter is sacrilege ;)
80, I'd melt :eek:, and if I had to pay for propane to keep it 80 I'd be broke:sucks:..

When I was selling seasoned firewood I enjoyed the physical labor of felling, bucking it up, piling it up at home then splitting it and stacking it up to season to sell next year. The fall chill in the air started in September that runs to November is awesome. Then the snow cover in the forest I have the best workplace in the world of any job. I just loved running saws in the forest. I did cleaning up after loggers, thinning out thick forest areas. The places I have cut at look awesome today because there well managed. I was the muscle the young arborists with there college degrees told me what to do. Today I’m proud of my work. At 68 yo I like to get back out there,

I spent all winter in the forest cutting trees with a long john top and a woolen shirt. I never needed this insulated clothing when I was younger. But those insulated boots do help. I used the D3 usgi leather army gloves. The leather outside and inner woolen gloves.

Inside liners, https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-613902018129-G-I-Glove-Liners/dp/B018MSVH0S

Outside gloves. https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Leather-D3-A-Type-Gloves/dp/B018MTDNWM

When something works don’t mess with it.

I installed a woodstove in ‘78 after the blizzard of 77/78. We were snowed in for three days lucky we didn’t lose electricity. I started cutting firewood on the local highway they were clearing. Soon after everyone offered me wood for free. I had so many offers and so much wood I had to sell some. Then being out of work pushed my cutting to new heights.

Back