The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All-State in Louisville sells the F-250 4x4, with the diesel, a step above base model (STX) for $49,000 all day long. I don’t know how, but they do. The truck I built up there was a diesel, too. Here's the link (while this truck is still for sale): https://www.allstateford.com/new/Fo...20a0e0adf2631514f70b7d9a8.htm?searchDepth=1:7

If that truck had a long bed, and the “camper package” I probably would have bought it by now. (Camper package: extra rear springs, F-250s squat way down with any sort of pin weight, albeit their GVWR is 10,000 so no DOT physical or commercial insurance where you need with a 350-the first depending on how its registered and the second depending on what state you’re in. They’re both ******** but that’s for another time.)

You can get a base model diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 for $45,000. Some dealers will actually deal, and others won’t come off MSRP at all. All-State does a lot of fleet sales and moves high volumes of vehicles. They get economies of scale. Tri-County that’s 30 miles away, close to my house and shop might sell a dozen 3/4 or 1 ton trucks a year. They don’t come much off MSRP at all.

The truck I just sold, was $42,000 new in 2002. It was a 350, diesel, Lariat dually. Now a Lariat with the same stuff (like the one dad just bought) is $65-70,000. That’s essentially pricing keeping up with inflation, or a little more, mind you a Lariat today has a lot more stuff on it than it did in 2002. Now, wage growth generally has fallen well below the inflation rate. Some of that is due to the stuff that occurred in 2008, some of it, well, that belongs in another forum because business practices and ethics tend to become a hotly debated topic. That’s the reality, and why this stuff is so hard to afford.

It’s just a pain in the ass.

My 16 1 ton singles duramax ltz crew cab long box out the door was 50 end of the year special. The 18 f150 with the 2.7 eco boost extra cab short box was 28 another end of the year special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 16 1 ton singles duramax ltz crew cab long box out the door was 50 end of the year special. The 18 f150 with the 2.7 eco boost extra cab short box was 28 another end of the year special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would be awesome, but I need something to throw my L tank, tool boxes & gang box in and roll. Not that the company truck is bad, but I miss my Sirius radio. ;)

In all seriousness though, I have given Chevy a long look, and I may end up with a crew cab/long bed. But man, that’s a long truck, albeit I’ve been driving that as a dually for a while now. Or I might just eat not having as long a bed, haul some tools in the cab and buy the truck from All-State. I don’t drag around a gooseneck really anymore so that little bit of extra swing doesn’t matter as much.

With that said, and I’ll take the tongue lashing for sounding like a prude, but I’ll walk that back. Tools go in the boxes in the bed. Not the cab. So, long bed for sure.

Choices suck too.

That would be awesome, but I need something to throw my L tank, tool boxes & gang box in and roll. Not that the company truck is bad, but I miss my Sirius radio. ;)

In all seriousness though, I have given Chevy a long look, and I may end up with a crew cab/long bed. But man, that’s a long truck, albeit I’ve been driving that as a dually for a while now. Or I might just eat not having as long a bed, haul some tools in the cab and buy the truck from All-State. I don’t drag around a gooseneck really anymore so that little bit of extra swing doesn’t matter as much.

With that said, and I’ll take the tongue lashing for sounding like a prude, but I’ll walk that back. Tools go in the boxes in the bed. Not the cab. So, long bed for sure.

Choices suck too.

If it wasn’t for the family and all the books/paperwork I have to carry on the daily I would gone to the extra cab long box, length wise it’s the same as a crew short box. I’m in the same boat with a 100 gallon tank, then I have a fifth wheel under rail toolbox on top of the tank, plus the fifth wheel hitch in all the time no two ways around the long box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has to be demand.

I've been wrong before but I recall a time where a small car was 20k and a full size 4x4 pickup was 30k. Now a small car is........20k, and a full size pickup is............. 50-60k.

And that's gas. God forbid a guy want's a diesel.

My first brand new 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup cost $6,200. My buddy bought bought a 3/4 ton for $6,700.

Choices suck too.

I couldn't live without an 8 foot bed.

Maybe in a Toyota run around, because those trucks are in a different category, but I would still have a truck that had an 8 foot bed.

I've running the hell out of a '96 Ranger, 6 foot box, I consider it a one mule buckboard, but she hauls whatever will fit in that box.
She is a serious little truck, however 6 feet is too short, need a trailer.
DlKiLp.jpg

Some days you just can’t win. Just got kicked in the teeth and almost had a serious financial calamity, as in enough to go out of business. Right towards the end of what had been a good year too.

I hate laying people off, but this winter into next year may be one of downsizing.

Ain't new, friend. Much sympathy.

Foreman & estimator got fired too.

The weather sucked, with the two wettest springs and the wettest fall on record, which slowed us way down given that we were doing drainage.

Oh well. All the bills are paid, even if I was all but $640 left in the bank. Anyway, back at it tomorrow.

got a letter yesterday telling me the northwest hardwoods mill in burlington is closing, thanks entirely to tariffs BTW, last i heard the exporter, as in the only exporter in the area is struggling as well

Heres hoping we all make it through the winter

I haven't cut timber in 3 weeks... but I'm lucky with the truck driving thing....

Back