Looking for some input on older saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to clean up and sell my 562XP. In want to get away from AutoTune (or the like) and i do not want the newer Strato engine.

Personal preference [emoji3595]

I have 2 smaller old saws around the 30cc range. Have the 562XP i want to sell and have a 385XP I absolutely adore.

I want a “middle of the road” saw (the 85cc 385 is plenty big enough felling in michigan). Looking for something around 60cc. 70 would be ok and 50 would be ok.

I honestly want to stick with Husky if i can but i have zero issues with Stihl.

Im still want it to be a “pro saw” if i can help it so i was thinking a 357XP, 362XP or a 372XP.

The 362 is the least interesting to me out of the 3 but still an option.

What are your preferences out of the 3 I selected for a saw that is a bit lighter than my 385 but can still run a 18”-20” bar full time?

If you have other saw suggestions absolutely open to hearing them.

So re-cap

Non-strato
No “auto tune”
50cc-70cc
Pro saw
18”-20” bar (will be skip chain, i love skip)

Thanks for your thoughts guys [emoji847]
Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thank you guy’s!

I look into those

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

A 362xp whilst not as powerful as a 372 absolutely screams and can be made quite easily into a rocket. With a 15” bar they are hilarious

I think most of the good ones have been covered. If you want top performance and HP/lb the 357 or 262 would be good, IMO a 262 is a better 20" bar saw(at least stock). A 48mm 365 or a 359 could be found at a much better price and both would be great with a 20". A lot of guys like their 266s too.

I’ll comment on the husky side:

254xp, 257, or 262xp are from the same family. The 254 and 262 are pro saws, while the 257 was an open port design.

266, 268, or 272xp were of the same family, a little heavier, but stronger than the previous 3.

Moving more recent, a 346xp, 357xp, or 359 were more advanced in antivib and ergos. Perfectly adequate for most firewooding. A 362 is rarer, but the 365 special gave a nice boost before stepping up to a 372xp.

In my opinion, with an 85cc saw, you’d be best off with a 50-60cc saw as a second size. As all of these saws are out of production in the states, what’s available and your budget will dictate most of your decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought three Husky 460 xtra-t and like them very much, but they do not have much grunt. They have limiters on the carbs which are easy to remove. Then came Huztl which offer cheap older saws. Was skeptical at first, but they offer just what I want older saw technology. The EPA has screwed up the whole saw industry. They have gone out of there way to make saw less potent and less reliable. Finding good twenty year old saws are not impossible and they can be rebuilt, but it is a bit more trouble than just buying new. Thanks

I just time traveled back in time to purchase a husky 162se to play with soon. At my age(68) there’s no use me buying a new saw. I can restore the older ones that have served me well in the past if need be. I like the saws with no bells, no whistles, no fancy frills, keep it simple.

The 162se, 262xp, 266se, 266xp, 268, 268 Xp are the ones to look for in this class.
You already have the grunt with the 385xp.

I matched my 2100cd with a 266se and it was a great combination to cut with. Soon after I added a 2101 Xp. Brutus and Goliath (100 cc saws) I ran my 266se with the over speed govenor plugged with a 18”/3/8” full chisel chain with a 8 pin rim. Watch the chips fly.

I gave my son a nib husky 460 to replace his 25 yo wild thang. He couldn’t thank me enough. He’s cleaning up my land in vt of the dead falls, blow downs. Then I gave both sons good running husky 570’s. my son with the 460 puts it to work every weekend so far. But both sons like the 570’s too.

Back