McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark! Now that's off how do I remove the plate the pawls are mounted to? I gotta drive out one of the pins to replace the spring and pawl. Looks like the plate is one piece with the keyed center section.View attachment 753346 View attachment 753347

You need to take the shoes off with the spring. A bit tricky but doable. Then grind the pawl stud and knock it out.
Replace pawl, spring and stud. The stud you will have to peen it over.

I wonder if someone here can help me out.I'm trying to locate a write up that Mark Heimann did about rebuilding a bullfrog carb & using a new duck bill for the primer,but had to drill it out first with a slightly larger drill bit.Jethro is in need of this info.Thanks!
Ed

It took me many years to realize looking from the inside out is very different from looking from the outside in, if you get what I mean

I don't find you the least bit dull or uninteresting.

Your very interesting Brian and have a great head for engines of all sorts

Thank You but I am Just an old hack.

Brian

Brian is full of it and just a tad modest. He has probably forgotten more than I will ever know and has experienced more of life than a half dozen average guys like me put together.

I am anxious to get back to cutting. Working on this tractor every free moment is getting old. Free advice - if you are ever told a tractor was used to spray liquid fertilizer, walk away, no, run - unless you are an electrician that loves chasing stray voltage, bad grounds, broken wires, corroded splices, screwed up electronics and spending money. Fortunately among other things, Brian is knowledgeable of electronics and the like, and is very tenacious in helping me resolve issues.

Ron

I am anxious to get back to cutting. Working on this tractor every free moment is getting old. Free advice - if you are ever told a tractor was used to spray liquid fertilizer, walk away, no, run - unless you are an electrician that loves chasing stray voltage, bad grounds, broken wires, corroded splices, screwed up electronics and spending money. Fortunately among other things, Brian is knowledgeable of electronics and the like, and is very tenacious in helping me resolve issues.

But just think of the experience that you have gained working on that tractor. Now if you have trouble in the field, you now have gained the knowledge to repair most of the tractor, or have a good idea where to start troubleshooting.

Brian

And by the way, Ron is very modest. He knows way more than he lets on and is the best researcher I have ever seen, on top of one of the best at comprehending what he has read. I get lost past the second page if I don't take notes or use a highlighter and go back over it a time or two. On top of being one of the most kind and Christian men I have ever met. I admire his faith and strive to be half the person he is. A very high goal to reach.

You need to take the shoes off with the spring. A bit tricky but doable. Then grind the pawl stud and knock it out.
Replace pawl, spring and stud. The stud you will have to peen it over.

Man oh man, I tried for a bit to get a shoe off. I'd pry the shoe out far enough to have clearance to pop off spring, but pulling on shoe that much pits so much tension on spring I can't get it to pop out of it's groove. Unless I'm missing something think I'm gonna shelf this til tomorrow and give it a fresh start.

So tell me guys if my method sounds correct. I'm spreading the shoe out from the front side with a screwdriver that I turn sideways to hold it. Then from back side I'm trying to pry spring up and out of groove. This should work right?

I wonder if someone here can help me out.I'm trying to locate a write up that Mark Heimann did about rebuilding a bullfrog carb & using a new duck bill for the primer,but had to drill it out first with a slightly larger drill bit.Jethro is in need of this info.Thanks!
Ed

Thanks Ed I'll keep trying drills till it fits

Nice work Jethro! The PM 800 runs pretty good with that sub carb on it.I can't imagine running a saw with a 32 ion.bar on it,the biggest I've got is a 30 in.& I only used it once on a Homie 450 (74cc).Once I get my 380 back from Bob,it'll have a 30 on it too.
Ed

Nice work Jethro! The PM 800 runs pretty good with that sub carb on it.I can't imagine running a saw with a 32 ion.bar on it,the biggest I've got is a 30 in.& I only used it once on a Homie 450 (74cc).Once I get my 380 back from Bob,it'll have a 30 on it too.
Ed

Yeah it's not too bad it's a sdc44 and it floats around a bit but doesn't stray too far yet but is due for a kit asap I have a 65 I could rob from the 10-10 runner infact bugger it I'll do that tonite lol.

I could do with a 125 and and a 42" at the moment 32 is just big enough. To be fair it would pull a 36 happily enough and really that's some pretty big wood for a firewood hack. It's a dam fine saw I am still impressed by it every time20190817_144458.jpg

Latest posts

Back