Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we've been busy here, cutting wood, burning wood heaps and dealing with snow with more to come next week apparently.

plJX3MLl.jpg

1z9aRrLl.jpg

56yIP4il.jpg

Easier for me, I guess, to drag it up on the trailer and split at home when I have the time. I’m usually 2-3 years ahead on my burning wood so this oak won’t be used until 2021.
Yeah whatever works for you best mate hey, I'm lucky where I am I have plenty of dead seasoned wood (30-50yrs or older dead standing wood) so it's ready to burn as soon as it gets dropped on the ground and cut up also have heaps of stuff that's been dead for years on the ground too and then theres all the pushed up heaps of hardwood that contains wood thats ready to burn and some that needs to be cut and split to season sooner than later.

You don't split your wood where you cut it?

Easier for me, I guess, to drag it up on the trailer and split at home when I have the time.

Different strokes for different folks.

Might depend on how much time you have to spend in the woods, and if you want to drag a splitter with you

Philbert

You don't split your wood where you cut it? We cut and split at the same time, no way known we'd get the big stuff we cut on the back of the ute unless we did, you end up with lumps in ya arse if you even tried.[emoji23]
Some situations don't allow that convenience...dragging all your junk into someone's back yard might not go over well, let alone leaving it there to be stolen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Easier for me, I guess, to drag it up on the trailer and split at home when I have the time. I’m usually 2-3 years ahead on my burning wood so this oak won’t be used until 2021.

Last few years mud has been bad all winter. So for the sake of time I load rounds on the truck and drop at home, back for another load. Now have a small dump truck so will load logs with the tractor and drop at the house. Shuld speed things up.

Different stroke for different folks.

Might depend on how much time you have to spend in the woods, and if you want to drag a splitter with you

Philbert
Yeah too right Philbert. We always have the log spitter with us, it sits in the back of the ute with the rest of the gear. We generally don't need a Hydrolic Splitter for most of the stuff we cut (sometimes it would come in handy on the hard hard stuff but thankfully that's few and far between most of the time so all good with a hand log splitter and anything that's real hard and won't split soon sets the chainsaw log splitter onto it.:chainsaw:

Some situations don't allow that convenience...dragging all your junk into someone's back yard might not go over well, let alone leaving it there to be stolen.

Ah right now I get it, I can't say I've ever had to cut wood up in a small block type situation, we generally operated on anywhere up to 5000 acre/hectare type land so leaving gear there isn't an issue but we generally only take a chainsaw and hand log splitter with us (usually don't take any extra fuel or anything like that cos we only cut and load there and then, having said that we have been just cutting till the saws run out of fuel and that usually adds up to around 2 ute loads of wood 8ft x 6ft tray stacked about 2ft high.

We are going to aim for around 30 or 40 loads in front if we can over summer, that way we can cut the windrows we have access to and that wood can be cut and split and seasoning over summer so it should be good to go next winter with a bit of luck.

Last few years mud has been bad all winter. So for the sake of time I load rounds on the truck and drop at home, back for another load. Now have a small dump truck so will load logs with the tractor and drop at the house. Shuld speed things up.

Yeah the mud would be bad to deal with no doubt, the snows been bad enough let alone dealing with mud.

These are some pics of one of the windrows as we call them, there some nice firewood in there but it needs to be cut and split and let season for a year or 2 (we have cut and burnt some of the smaller stuff as it was ready to burn but the bigger trees will take a lot longer to dry out.

This particular row is around 400m long and plenty of good hardwood in it.
8NXd7yfl.jpg

Some of the wood from it (hard as hell to split too) but we managed to get it done with the handheld log splitter
fjm3z15l.jpg

What's left of one small section of windrow
BTZvRVMl.jpg

Another pic of another section of one windrow
dTNoLafl.jpg

You don't split your wood where you cut it? We cut and split at the same time, no way known we'd get the big stuff we cut on the back of the ute unless we did, you end up with lumps in ya arse if you even tried.:laugh:

I split it down only enough to load on the truck, serious splitting is done at home.

Speaking of oaks you didn't get to yet when are we getting the big one by the pond :lol:.
need a couple of 36 hour days to get caught up. I'd like to get it down so we have a big hunk of oak for the stihl guys to cut at the gtg. i already have poplar logs for the husky guys. :buttkick: :laugh:

That's how I roll, too. My backyard looks like a tree graveyard. Buzz it up and/or split it right by the woodpile. Buck it up. I'm only about 1 year ahead; but most of what I fall is already dead; often barkless. Give it a year and it heats hot. I go through about 5 full ones per year, though. I also supplement with slab wood from my Amish buddy. $15 a load for hardwood. I don't even know why I cut and split anymore. Just enjoy it, I guess.

Just got my Holzfforma 660 yesterday. That makes 4 saws, so I better not quit. Got a mess of red oaks to process by my camper.

need a couple of 36 hour days to get caught up. I'd like to get it down so we have a big hunk of oak for the stihl guys to cut at the gtg. i already have poplar logs for the husky guys. :buttkick: :laugh:
20190613_140856.jpg Could probably get theses for the GTG if I had a way to move them.

Not poplar :D

Attachments

• 20190323_183944.jpg
    20190323_183944.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190323_154320.jpg
    20190323_154320.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20180310_172503.jpg
    20180310_172503.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
Ah right now I get it, I can't say I've ever had to cut wood up in a small block type situation, we generally operated on anywhere up to 5000 acre/hectare type land so leaving gear there isn't an issue but we generally only take a chainsaw and hand log splitter with us (usually don't take any extra fuel or anything like that cos we only cut and load there and then, having said that we have been just cutting till the saws run out of fuel and that usually adds up to around 2 ute loads of wood 8ft x 6ft tray stacked about 2ft high.

We are going to aim for around 30 or 40 loads in front if we can over summer, that way we can cut the windrows we have access to and that wood can be cut and split and seasoning over summer so it should be good to go next winter with a bit of luck.
I have access to some areas like that (we own about 50 acres and the state forests give firewood permits), but my local scrounging is from the people who had a tree felled in their yard and just had the tree company take the brush take away (too save some coin by not having the tree company take the trunk away). My guess is that is what a lot of the scrounging is that occurs in this discussion.

Back