• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems easy to me, you know a good dealer. What does he suggest in your price range? If you buy from him, why would he not take care of you if problem arises?

He was pushing HARD for a pro saw. I kept saying I didn’t really need that since I might run 4-5 tanks of gas a year through my saw. He was adamant though. I’m sure it is much higher quality but he wasn’t really willing to budge when I said where I wanted to be. Made me start to question if he was trying to take care of me or himself.

If you were unhappy with the 029 don't buy a 250 I did not have all the info or I would not have recommended it .

It was used though so it’s tough to know how it was treated before me. I just know I had a hard time getting it started or idling. I cleaned the carb and fuel system like 3 times with no luck. Took it in and it ran better for a while then within 2 weeks was back to hard to start.

I was really hoping I’d get everyone to say buy this saw or avoid that saw. But, that’s too easy. Probably the same as Ford, Chevy, Ram debates.

59cc might be a little much for what I need. Is the 490 any good? It’s considerably lighter according to the specs online.
The 490 I have is a good saw but I don’t feel it really hit it’s potential until I did a muffler mod(easy), pull limiters on carb and converted the .325 rim drive to a 3/8 lp rim drive and modified a bar to fit. The 590 will handle anything you throw at it with a 20” bar just removing the carb limiters.

If I was looking for a saw and didn't have a 346. I'd be getting a 346.
I thought you were the 357 man?
I like mine Gunner :rock:.
Just did this video tonight, some chain tests in a chunk of hard seasoned cherry.
This is an aggressive .325x20"

Looks slow. You sure that chain is sharp?:p
Tim is a great seller too! That 346 would be a great saw

Yep, I have one I got from him.

My 2156 came from @cuinrearview Tim, was nicer then described! I wouldn't hesitate to buy any saw he has.
Thanks guys. I've spoken with Josh and because of a bad experience in the past he's a little leery of used 2 stroke equipment. I can't blame him(it was a Stihl). I made a couple suggestions for new saws. There are so many good options out there for a homeowner/light firewood cutter in this price range it will be tough to go wrong. Good mix, sharp chains, and proper gear will make up for a lot of the shortcomings that the hardcore saw junkies perceive.

Thanks everyone. I was given a ton of info to choose from. I ended up going with an Echo CS-490. It came down to a couple of things for me- 5 year warranty (for non professionals), magnesium crankcase at my price point, and lower weight compared to similar saws. Echo wasn’t one I’d have considered, but after some people on here recommended them I did some more research. Down the road I may consider the muffler mod, but for now I’m leaving it stock. I went and did a few test cuts with it, but haven’t been to our hunting land yet to actually cut anything other than a few chunks from some firewood I already had stacked in the backyard. I was happy with it so far. I’ll give it a few tanks to break in and then decide on the muffler mod. Thanks again everyone!!!

Attachments

• EC4F1DC4-78D7-4E13-AFBB-7FF5341D0437.jpeg
    EC4F1DC4-78D7-4E13-AFBB-7FF5341D0437.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
I run Amsoil Sabre @ 50:1 which is a Premium synthetic in my 590 for 3yrs now , it has a fuel conditioner that prevents efuel issues . Otherwise you should invest in some Startron fuel conditioner that protects fuel from phase separation for up to 2 yrs , available @ Wal-Mart or local auto supply stores , have used it for years in my Motor Coach which is only used seasonally . Enjoy the Echo it's a fine saw for the price . This coming from a 660 Grizzly 07 kinda guy ! lol.

Back