Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad here. Storm went between us and Denny. Southeast from Pine City-south of Grantsburg-east of Luck and Balsam Lake to Turtle Lake. Reports of Cat 1 hurricane winds. Not a pretty sight!

I'm headed up to turtle lake Tuesday morning. I have a friend up there who lost her husband a year and a half ago. She had a couple trees come down near her driveway and buildings. If anyone wants to come by and help, I'd be happy for the assistance. She makes one hell of a lunch.

yes, people at every crossing and bridge.

80’s and 90’s, well before internet, and when Loram rail grinders moved 2-3 mph (now 15 mph) the rail fans (‘foamers’, foam at the mouth like rabid dogs) had phone networks and whenever they saw maintenance equipment word spread, and we had people lined up at every crossing with cameras (pre-phones). Given that broken stones 12 lbs can fly 200 feet, these people standing 20 ft off ROW was scary.
Now they move so fast the fans can’t alert and get to see in time, so things arfe safer. Also, with all the spark and dust containment, not so much to see anymore. 2000 hp going up in sparks was pretty neat. Now, 6000 hp, mostly covered, some dust is all that is visible.

but the train was neat. I’[d like to see the mechanicals up close.

Only MOW train I've seen in use was a BNSF welded rail train. 2 locomotives pulling specialty flatcars with quarter mile long sections of rail. There was a Herzog or Loram truck on the back that was feeding the rails alongside both sides of the track. Will have to say hearing the rail "twanging" while being unloaded was eerie sounding.

Only MOW train I've seen in use was a BNSF welded rail train. 2 locomotives pulling specialty flatcars with quarter mile long sections of rail. There was a Herzog or Loram truck on the back that was feeding the rails alongside both sides of the track. Will have to say hearing the rail "twanging" while being unloaded was eerie sounding.

probably Herzog. they were a couple of suppliers for those but Loram never built that style . It’s fairly and it’s easy to unload ribbon rail but it’s very dangerous loading it because it is pushed from giant pinch rollers in the very first car. A guy runs along the top poking the end of the rail into the slots. Loram built a couple rail trains that have two small gantries on top that grab the rail and pull it into position instead of pushing. it’s pretty amazing to see how loose and flexible the spaghetti that the rail is in the left and right bending direction

Hi all,

Been lurking and reading on this site for a while. Joined so I could post. I think it is safer not to discuss chainsaw oils!
I live in Minnesota and have 4 acres of woods in Iowa with a shack on it. Started using chainsaws 20 years ago when
I was building pole barns. Mostly for notching the pole tops for trusses. Now I cut firewood from my woods.

Hi all,

Been lurking and reading on this site for a while. Joined so I could post. I think it is safer not to discuss chainsaw oils!
I live in Minnesota and have 4 acres of woods in Iowa with a shack on it. Started using chainsaws 20 years ago when
I was building pole barns. Mostly for notching the pole tops for trusses. Now I cut firewood from my woods.
Welcome to AS! Where are you located along the Mason-Dixon line?

Hope things pickup a little in this thread.
How about tomorrow? In Minneapolis. Free.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2561401200753920/permalink/2583263898567650/

Minneapolis Lumberjack Championship
Come watch professional woodchoppers battle head to head in chopping, buck sawing, and power sawing to see who will be the Minneapolis Champion.
Free admission
Free parking in ramp on the S.E. corner of Central & 40th
Presented by:
Minneapolis Saw Inc.
Husqvarna
Urban Foresters Certified Arborists

Screen shot 2019-08-16 at 10.16.53 PM.png

Philbert

Latest posts

Back