• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. I was given a ton of info to choose from. I ended up going with an Echo CS-490. It came down to a couple of things for me- 5 year warranty (for non professionals), magnesium crankcase at my price point, and lower weight compared to similar saws. Echo wasn’t one I’d have considered, but after some people on here recommended them I did some more research. Down the road I may consider the muffler mod, but for now I’m leaving it stock. I went and did a few test cuts with it, but haven’t been to our hunting land yet to actually cut anything other than a few chunks from some firewood I already had stacked in the backyard. I was happy with it so far. I’ll give it a few tanks to break in and then decide on the muffler mod. Thanks again everyone!!!
Congrats on the new saw :cheers:.
As full chisel said, keep a sharp chain on it and good fuel in it and it will do you just fine for a long time.
Here's one I helped a friend out with, they aren't a lot louder, but they run much better with a muffler mod it will void the warranty but you probably won't ever use it anyway.
Get both videos going at the same time and you'll see the difference in real time.

True that on the muffler mod. I bought a little cs352 that had a cat muffler. It got very hot. I took the cat out and opened up the outlet a little and retuned. It runs so much cooler now. It takes it a few seconds longer to warm up in cooler weather. I don't notice it being any louder because I wear muffs anyway nowadays. I need to preserve what hearing I have left.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

True that on the muffler mod. I bought a little cs352 that had a cat muffler. It got very hot. I took the cat out and opened up the outlet a little and retuned. It runs so much cooler now. It takes it a few seconds longer to warm up in cooler weather. I don't notice it being any louder because I wear muffs anyway nowadays. I need to preserve what hearing I have left.

It does make a big difference and it turned out to be a nice looking mod without any extras.
I have some pretty bad tinnitus myself, they're ringing right now :rare2:, but not from the little echo :p.

Did you just take out the exhaust guide (part #5) and open up the exhaust outlet (part #3)? Anything else?

Attachments

• 3E4B42E1-2AB3-40FE-8F72-69CACCD27C0E.png
    3E4B42E1-2AB3-40FE-8F72-69CACCD27C0E.png
    515.8 KB · Views: 7
Did you just take out the exhaust guide (part #5) and open up the exhaust outlet (part #3)? Anything else?
I didn't do the work, only helped tune the saw after it was done and the baseline cuts before hand/ guided him in what needed to be done, but it was a while ago so I dont remember exactly except that it was very straight forward.
I'm pretty sure what you said is what he did. It looke very nice when done and you wouldnt even know any different unless you were into that sort of thing or someone told you.

It does make a big difference and it turned out to be a nice looking mod without any extras.
I have some pretty bad tinnitus myself, they're ringing right now :rare2:, but not from the little echo :p.
Yes, I have tinnitus as well. I had my left ear drum blown out years ago when a fire hose ruptured.

Back