MUFFLER PAINT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJD85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So this was my first paint job but not my last. I painted this exaust from an old saw as a trial run and test because next I'll be doing my 7900. I painted the back plate too and noticed a small peice scratched off from accidently brushing it against a hard surface. Now it has only been 2 hours since last coat so im hoping durability increases with time. Please criticize my process of you have the time so I can improve. 1- brake cleaner and wire brushing until visibly clean with wipe down also. 2- 300 grit sand paper everywhere possible including cracks and crevices. 3- thorough cleaning with denatured alchole until no visible grime. 4- let dry for 2 days. 5-spray painted with Rustolium BBQ paint the old one flat black. 5 coats at 10-8 inch distance. Temp outside was 89* 60% humidity. Drying inside garage where it is 78* with a fan. Wife wont let me bake it! Thinking about trying header paint but cant cure it. Any suggestions on a different durable high heat paint where curing is not needed is greatly appreciated.
67ec8e4cdcc64a5b14b78fc3900f11ee.jpg
d9514c140e0d07751f6187ce7010f9a7.jpg

Heat with a torch or in the woodstove in winter. Spray around it a few times. Torch again til its dry and hot. Kinda bakes itself on. Install 5 minutes later
Aaahhh the torch! Ok I'll try that on the next one. This paint seems to glory pretty quick as it is it goes from a luster when wet to flat within 5 minuts. I didnt touch it anyway but it looked dry

It will bake on the saw. Or grow a sack....

Sometimes things are done when wifey is not around..

Of course she's gonna say no! Sheesh..

Now you're screwed. Haha!

Home appliances sometimes double as shop tools. Under-the-radar type shop tools.

Odors are the enemy. Other than that, you're golden.

Toaster oven great idea. I use a hair dryer with painting high heat temp
rattle can paint. Preparation is the key to success. Wire wheel it, put it out in the sun light and heat it up with a hair dryer or toaster oven, take it out, hang it and shoot it. Then back in the toaster oven till cured.

It will bake on the saw. Or grow a sack....

Sometimes things are done when wifey is not around..

Of course she's gonna say no! Sheesh..

Now you're screwed. Haha!

Home appliances sometimes double as shop tools. Under-the-radar type shop tools.

Odors are the enemy. Other than that, you're golden.
Lol... I dont let her park or put her junk in my 2.5 car garage (sack size improving?) [emoji23] I dont disrespect her kitchen

Toaster oven great idea. I use a hair dryer with painting high heat temp
rattle can paint. Preparation is the key to success. Wire wheel it, put it out in the sun light and heat it up with a hair dryer or toaster oven, take it out, hang it and shoot it. Then back in the toaster oven till cured.
Grabbing a shop toaster in the morning.

Aaahhh the torch! Ok I'll try that on the next one. This paint seems to glory pretty quick as it is it goes from a luster when wet to flat within 5 minuts. I didnt touch it anyway but it looked dry
Heat gun is a little less aggressive, I stick the nozzle right up the port and put it on medium until it stops smoking.

That’s a lot of prep work, it’s worth doing if you want to sell em. But after about 4-8 tanks of gas your gonna have stains, small dings and scratches anyways.

Once every 3 or so years, I paint the mufflers, or not. The entire saws get pretty nasty looking, pretty quick, and I am only doing a complete cleaning once at the end of the year. The muffler looks fine after 1) shake any dirt off it 2) spray some paint on it 3) reinstall.

I use VHT header paint and a heat gun. VHT holds up pretty good.
I tried that once for my mini 30 and I didn’t use primer... it really sucked cause it was just flaming off after the curing.
I had spent hours prepping each piece and in the end I had to literally prep them all over to remove the flaming paint....
in the end I just used the tried and true duplicolor engine paint. No primer needed and withstands firearm barrel temps and chainsaw muffler.
My m14 was painted with this 15 years ago and it still is holding up very well. There are very few scratches, thus paint cures extremely well and tough.
Not trying to one up you, just giving other options.

:)

So did you buy another toaster oven or use "hers" lol.
Now does she know your rubbing your muffler on the table :p.
19.99$ toaster at walmart and I have a full wall of my garage/shop wich is kitchen cabinetry/counter tops. Was free from a demo. [emoji23] so still happy wife easy life.

Back