Wood splitter recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,
I’m looking at buying a wood splitter in the near future and am looking for suggestions. Primary use is not commercial so I’m not looking for a top of the line unit. I need it the be horizontal and vertical with the work table. I’m looking at the 25 ton range and don’t want to spend more than $1,500. The 27ton from champion looks awful tempting at $1,000. I haven’t heard anything negative about it other than those Brigs and Stratton engines quit after a few years. Does anyone have any experience with these splitters or know of a good one within that range? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you search first? This exact question has been asked at least 100 times. The answer is always that the SpeeCo is hard to beat for the price. My answer is always vertical sucks. Why would you want to work on you knees? Horizontal with a work table is the only way to go. If you can't lift the rounds build a log lift or noodle it down to size.

Did you search first? This exact question has been asked at least 100 times. The answer is always that the SpeeCo is hard to beat for the price. My answer is always vertical sucks. Why would you want to work on you knees? Horizontal with a work table is the only way to go. If you can't lift the rounds build a log lift or noodle it down to size.

I don't like noodling, and need my splitter to be nimble so I can thread it through the woods right to where the tree lays. So being able to go vertical once in a while when needed is awesome.

I would only buy something with a trouble free Honda motor. Starts easy, runs well for many years and sips gas.

I have a Wallenstein. They are what all the rental shops use around here - built like a tank and prices shown here are CDN dollars, so you might get something fairly close to your range when you factor in your buying with US dollars.
https://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/group/log-splitters

I don't like noodling, and need my splitter to be nimble so I can thread it through the woods right to where the tree lays. So being able to go vertical once in a while when needed is awesome.
I have one of those speeco splitters with junk b&s engines 22 ton and been waiting for 5 years for that engine to blow and replace with a honda. Change oil every year, do not drain gas and starts easy and burns zero oil.

I have one of those speeco splitters with junk b&s engines 22 ton and been waiting for 5 years for that engine to blow and replace with a honda. Change oil every year, do not drain gas and starts easy and burns zero oil.

Mine is Wallenstein. Link posted above by another fan. Mine has a Honda GC. Which even tho is supposed to be the bargain Honda, runs like a top.

This is what i will get when i decide i dont need $3,000

http://www.supersplit.com/

Very nice and definitely fast! Not sure it could handle some of the knotty butt ends I split, but sure looks good on clear wood.

... most people seldom let their hydraulic recoil all the way to the start position for each log cut. You can reduce the time down considerably from the full cycle time of a hydraulic. I usually have about a 5 second split time when I'm splitting clear wood and using a 4 way split wedge, also no vertical split on the Supersplit, so I'd have to noodle very big rounds more often before lifting them onto the table.

Some of the newest Wallensteins also have a stroke limiter/shortener that reduces hands-free cycle times in half. (no I'm not getting paid for this - lol)

https://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/wxr720

I don't like the unsupported cylinder on the Wallensteins. It may hold up under normal use, but that style cylinder is built for a straight line push with no side loading. Log splitters see some side loads as the wood is rarely square and centered. As the machine wears the beam begins to flex, the sliding plate develops slop and the attachment points of the cylinder and rod develop some play. Some of this can be avoided by meticulous maintenance, but I will take a full length beam with a fully supported cylinder over that style any day.

Very nice and definitely fast! Not sure it could handle some of the knotty butt ends I split, but sure looks good on clear wood.

... most people seldom let their hydraulic recoil all the way to the start position for each log cut. You can reduce the time down considerably from the full cycle time of a hydraulic. I usually have about a 5 second split time when I'm splitting clear wood and using a 4 way split wedge, also no vertical split on the Supersplit, so I'd have to noodle very big rounds more often before lifting them onto the table.

I split some nasty elm and others with my SS. Always amazed at how well it does. It rarely runs above 50% throttle. I was worried about the same stuff until I started using it.

I don't like the unsupported cylinder on the Wallensteins. It may hold up under normal use, but that style cylinder is built for a straight line push with no side loading. Log splitters see some side loads as the wood is rarely square and centered. As the machine wears the beam begins to flex, the sliding plate develops slop and the attachment points of the cylinder and rod develop some play. Some of this can be avoided by meticulous maintenance, but I will take a full length beam with a fully supported cylinder over that style any day.

Had to go out and look at mine to grasp what you are saying.
No flex up down or sideways on this baby or the free standing cylinder. It's way overbuilt! The only flex point is purposefully on the boot.
Like I said, all the rental shops here run these so they are not treated well. It's nearly impossible to buy one second hand here. When I was looking for one second hand, to quote a rental shop - "You'll never find one to buy, we just keep using them, nothing breaks"
1/2 inch & 1/4" thick steel welded triangle brackets enfolding and anchoring the cylinder - that ain't moving - not a whiff of anything close to sheet metal ... and the cantilevered one piece gliding wedge is held firm with an under piece glide on the underside of the overbuilt rail. Think train track weight and quality. No worries about side loading.

6 Years on mine with medium duty - I'll let you know if it ever starts to even jiggle - ;) - this thing is a tank!

I got mine used. It had a lot of use on it, could tell by the replaced hoses & worn paint & polished controls & dinged up things here & there. He didn't say so but I think the guy I bought from sold wood and had gotten out of it. Had other gear around too. Absolutely no issues aside from replacing a spark plug & changing oil.

After wearing out my Husky 27 ton unit with a BS engine I bought at TS. I upgraded to the Countyline 40 ton unit from TS with the koler engine and I love it. I particular like the taller wedge it came with and the fast 9.5 sec cycle time. I have split over 100 cords with the new one and it has preformed flawlessly. It's a very solidly built unit. It's a bit over what you quoted for price but it's well worth it. There is a Countyline 35 ton unit thats around 1,400 and is a little cheaper then the 40 ton unit at 1,900 but it doesn't have the taller wedge that the 40 comes with.

We have 4 Cutting seasons on our DHT 27 ton, it has been a reliable splitter.

I wont say anything bad about Honda engines,, but after the way that I Kohler 196cc/6.5 HP on our splitter has performed, I wouldn't pay any extra to "Upgrade?" to a Honda. That Kohler rarely needs more than one pull to start, and hasn't given us a bit of trouble.

I would buy another DHT, or Kohler power plant without a second thought.

I don't know anything about the Champion splitters, but we have had a Champion 4000 watt generator for our travel trailer, for about 6 years now, definitely isn't as Quiet as the Kohler, or Honda engines, but it has run and started flawlessly as well, it has been a better generator than I expected to get for $300

For us, the ability to split vertically is important, my Wife Enjoys running the splitter, and for some silly reason, she PREFERS to run it vertically:confused:.

Vertical is a Nice option to have, some like it more than others.

Doug :cheers:

My dad just bought a DHT half beam splitter for 600ish on Amazon. So far he likes it. For the price it's very tempting but if I were buying one I'd probably go with the speedco or the DHT full beam from lowes.

After just spending another two hours trying to get my DHT/Kohler to start (unsuccessfully), let me say that I would NEVER consider another Kohler. I’m somewhere between dragging this POS back to the shop again or just yanking it off, replacing it with a Honda, and selling it on Craigslist as a mechanic’s special. It’s been sitting for a few months out of the weather but the best I can get it to do is backfire. Buy the best and cry once!

Back