Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was thinking that differentiation between sap and heart might make for an interesting counter top, or does it all just bleach out to a featureless colour when it dries? I think i read a post on here somewhere of someone using it for a vanity top in a bathroom, or maybe it was cottonwood, can't recall. Came up pretty good. Worst case (**looking at cowboy**) even if it was slabbed it'll still be fine for firewood (and split easy) later down the road, but pretty tough to go the other way with it.

I was wondering where I've been doing wrong all this time o_O :rare2:

Hillsdale county
Nice, the inlaws are in NW Ohio, I'm down there often.
There's also a couple other members down that way right @cuinrearview :).
If you ever need a hand with anything let me know and if it all works out I'd be more than glad to help.
Brett

Did a bit of splitting yesterday.
But before I got started I wanted to change the angle of the log holder on the splitter to level as it wasn't the best setup. I actually prefer no log catch with the tractor bucket in that spot when I have it. I ended up bending the bracket I made on one side a bit because my bucket settled on the holder :rare2:, but it was only temporary until I can weld it up properly.
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.30.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.30.14 AM.png
It doesn't look like much here, but I think it will fill all of the back of my woodshed and then about half of the front.
I almost have a hole punched though the area between the splits and the rounds. I also cleaned up an area on the left and threw most of those splits on the big pile and the white oak onto the little piles that are for me.
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.35.11 AM.png
Got all the loose splits off the pile and filled the bucket a little more with some fresh ones, this was one of 4 buckets we put in the woodshed.
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.36.07 AM.png

I was wondering where I've been doing wrong all this time o_O :rare2:
My (rather clumsily made) point is slabbing first at least allows the option of a higher use when dry and worst case it ends up firewood which is still a good option anyway. That said, I wonder what a table made from split firewood and epoxy would look like. Might have a crack at it someday.

For someone who mastered every joint in the human body, getting on top of a few wooden ones should be a cakewalk for you.

CO-OP was a waste of time. Used to be very good for parts and service. Sunday was probably not the best day to go. Irritated me they made zero attempt to sell me anything. Couldn't xref my part numbers.

Appears they can only look up cub cadet numbers. Which literally took me less than 1 minute. They referred me to a couple other places... Pretty sad. As the parts I need were common and very likely in stock.

I ordered online.

CO-OP was a waste of time. Used to be very good for parts and service. Sunday was probably not the best day to go. Irritated me they made zero attempt to sell me anything. Couldn't xref my part numbers.

Appears they can only look up cub cadet numbers. Which literally took me less than 1 minute. They referred me to a couple other places... Pretty sad. As the parts I need were common and very likely in stock.

I ordered online.

It’s hard to get good service anywhere these days it seems. No real sense of pride in their work or the desire to please a customer. Kinda sad really, I miss going in a place and a worker helping you find what you need. That’s why I just research and buy online if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 754130 View attachment 754129 Neighbor gave me several silver maple limbs he stashed from a township tree cutting over a year ago. Is this considering “punky” with the black markings inside the wood?
The water stained part is close but looks like plenty of solid wood too. They’ll certainly produce heat though.

27A79B7F-32D8-4EE4-8274-32641D74E0AD.jpeg
The water stained part is close but looks like plenty of solid wood too. They’ll certainly produce heat though.

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for, water stains make PERFECT sense.

I’ll get this pile on a pallet in direct sun and better airflow to aide in drying. Plenty of room now that pool demo is complete lol.

Not the greatest Ash, but the crews cleaning up around some power lines took down a big leader of the tree. At my father in laws place & he is 80 with a bad ticker so me & the wife went up & visited. He offered me a couple of old McCulloch's, one of them was blue & he said it was worm drive. The other was a yellow rig with bottom half of handle missing. I have to go back tomorrow & get the rest, I can snap some pics if any interest.
563cccef22205fded9be139afc3ad1c3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

View attachment 754130 View attachment 754129 Neighbor gave me several silver maple limbs he stashed from a township tree cutting over a year ago. Is this considering “punky” with the black markings inside the wood?
The black lines are called, “Black Line Spalting”, common in Maples. It’s caused by a fungi. It is desirable to wood turners and carvers. Have seen beautiful pens, knife handles, Colt 1911 grips and tables made from it. I met a guy at a wood working show that “said”, he got almost a thousand knife handles out of a big Maple log and got between $4 and $10 a set for them on eBay.

Back