Mcculloch gear drive chainsaw. What model is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PG600, my local small engine shop has a nice old Mac he was going to put on a shelf, but said he would like to sell it. It looks like my Mac15, but no stickers or tags, would it be stamped on the bottom? Sorry for the hijack.

Possibly 640 or 890 by the paint scheme. It has an auto oiler which was only on four models I believe. No decomp rules it out as an 895 Underneath it should show numbers on the crankcase. That has an early recessed starter cover which makes me think 640.

PG600, my local small engine shop has a nice old Mac he was going to put on a shelf, but said he would like to sell it. It looks like my Mac15, but no stickers or tags, would it be stamped on the bottom? Sorry for the hijack.

Only the Mac15 looks like a Mac15, they are the one and only model made that way, I have several but have never looked at the bottom of the crankcase to see if they are stamped, just so easy to identify them by looks alone.

Was at my father in laws scrounging some wood & he offered me a couple of McCulloch's, 1 of which is a worm gear, or worm drive. The other is newer, more plastic & yellow if anyone is interested in seeing them I have to go back tomorrow & get the rest of the wood. I could take some pics if any interest

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The 640 does not have the Super Series engine and is only 80 cc displacement (2.125 bore x 1.375 stroke). Bore and stroke are smaller than the 840.

DSCN0534.jpg

The 740/840 has the Super Series engine and no compression release (DSP). 99 cc displacement (2.165 bore x 1.635 stroke). 840 is gear drive.

McCulloch 840-5.JPG

The 840 has the automatic oiler, driven off the output shaft so it only works when the chain is moving.

McCulloch 840 oiler.JPG

The third number might be 450? Bore is the same but the stroke is shorter (1.5").

Mark

Latest posts

Back