Quality aftermarked parts or not ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am at my second go now at my 380 kit from Farmertec and I'm starting to rip my hair off in big chunks.
Many of the parts are ok but some are not (and some are absent), the most critical is the crank - it wobbles (too much) on the clutch side. I ordered a new one and it was even worse than the one that came with the kit, I now have two cranks and one crankcase that's only suitable for the garbage bin. I worry about the bearings too because one is overly tight and the other side is just slightly loose (without being sloppy that is) - on both crankcases. The clutch builds too much so it's difficult (or impossible) to properly mount the clutch drum with the washer plate and clips outside. There is no point in contacting them because whatever my complain is the answer is something like - just use it and it will surely work fine.

Is there other brands of aftermarket parts that is actually comparable to OEM quality, perhaps western made?

I heard about gamble addictiveness - when is it time to stop chasing the dream and just forget about all the money spend on the failed journey, throw it all in the bin and forget about the past?

I am at my second go now at my 380 kit from Farmertec and I'm starting to rip my hair off in big chunks.
Many of the parts are ok but some are not (and some are absent), the most critical is the crank - it wobbles (too much) on the clutch side. I ordered a new one and it was even worse than the one that came with the kit, I now have two cranks and one crankcase that's only suitable for the garbage bin. I worry about the bearings too because one is overly tight and the other side is just slightly loose (without being sloppy that is) - on both crankcases. The clutch builds too much so it's difficult (or impossible) to properly mount the clutch drum with the washer plate and clips outside. There is no point in contacting them because whatever my complain is the answer is something like - just use it and it will surely work fine.

Is there other brands of aftermarket parts that is actually comparable to OEM quality, perhaps western made?

I heard about gamble addictiveness - when is it time to stop chasing the dream and just forget about all the money spend on the failed journey, throw it all in the bin and forget about the past?
I always use OEM engine parts.

Good luck as I refuse to buy any metal AM parts....I have had some pretty good luck with plastic parts, but usually have to work on them to get a proper fit. I bought a few AM carbs that seem to work okay, but I got tired of most of them being a POS and I have bought my last one of those. It blows my mind what I have seen some people pay for an AM saw on some of these interweb sites. I have seen several 660 s sell for over $700 and I thought those poor old fools.

I'm not going to throw all the parts away, most of it is ok. I will put this in a box now and let it mature, then over time I will probably look around for alternatives for the critical parts such as crank and bearings, clutch/sprocket and perhaps a cylinder kit as well.
I love this old chunky solid kind of saw, and I love to put the parts carefully together and that it eventually transforms in to a working machine that breathes and spits and makes noise.

But I'm happy I made the decision that I'm not dependent on it, that really did put my mind at ease.

Back