STIHL 088 Ouch!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
20190216_171824.jpg 20190216_171842.jpg
Hey fellas I was wondering if anyone has problems starting there 088 saws? This saw will literally RIP your fingers off on the kickback no Joke!! I know it's a super high compression saw but even with the decomp in I fear starting it. I think I'll buy the stihl "D" handle and see what happens. Possibly the timings off?? Any help would be appreciated. I cant sell it until I start it lol! Waiting on top cover from my dealer, so I have some time to try a few more attempts starting this HOG.

There was a lawsuit about a 066, that hurt a guy. He got the saw, without a manual, new, from a dealer, sort of. (Part of a logosol package deal). Anyway, be careful. The 88 is bigger!

I haven't ran my 088 in a long time and yes it was a bugger to get started like you described. It was only when it was cold out , summer time starting was never a problem. This wasn't the only saw that would get hard to start in cold weather 066 046 064 and even 361 all did the same thing ,hard to turn over like they were hydro locked. I blamed the problem on the darn alcohol in the fuel not a timing problem .

Once the saws got started and warmed up no problem. All those saws couldn't have had a timing problem or flooding the cylinder.

I have a early 880 with low hours and what works for me to start the beast, is to use quick pulls on the recoil, with the decompression valve open, until it pops; and than one or two quick pulls to kick it over. This is usually in the AM after I've eaten my Wheaties. Towards the end of the day after I've been cutting for awhile and lugging that pig around; sometimes I can barely get it started. It will pull the recoil handle out of my hand, and be a real bear to start. Make sure that the carburetor is tuned/adjusted properly; this is one saw that you don't want to be pulling on for a long time.

3eecf8f95fc59f34ef7b054c78f7497a.jpg

I drilled the bleed hole in the decomp valve larger on this so I could start it. 1/16” bit IIRC [emoji848]

Made it small geezer friendly. [emoji108]

Is that just a characteristic of a really big saw like that? I worked on a briggs OHV something or other that had messed up timing that would do that. Yank the pull cord out of your hand so hard it smashed the air filter housing a couple times.

Shouldn't be but in the case of 088 it can be a bugger to get started compared to other Stihl saws. As mentioned short quick pulls till it pops is best and then you have to literally kick it in the ass with a couple hard and I mean hard fast pulls to fire the engine. I've never messed with my 088 as far as a simple muffler mod like I have my other saws to make starting easier but I would say some refinement of the carb and ignition by Stihl would help immensely. Those extra hard pulls on the starter just seem to give it a little extra ummph to fire that engine. 066 can also be a little on the stubborn side also but not quite as bad as an 088. Never had an 084 so I can't comment on that one.

Turning back the clock 076 was never a problem starting as long as the saw was in good tune. Going back farther to Homelite 925 and some of the older smaller Jonserd saws that had very high stock compression numbers and no decomp valve . These saws were never hard to pull over so it is safe to say that engine design along with good carburation and ignition timing go a long way in how well and how easy a saw will start

Dang, I guess you get your work out in that industry. I've never even seen an 880/088 in person. Biggest we had was a 461. Those modern ones I think all have deco valves though.

All the big saws ( 5 ) that I have will do that. I have taken some bed liner epoxy and put on the bottom part of the handle for the best grip possible. With ignition off and choke off with throttle open I pull the rope a few times then try to start. With the saw a little flooded it will not jerk your arm off, but start to flubber a little. Every one needs to come up with a sequence that is right for them. When I grab my handle I grab it good because I do not want the handle ripping out of my hand tearing up my fingers. I think once the rope broke, but I still have my fingers. Thanks

No experience with an ms088. Plenty of practice with a xp 3120. I have snapped 3 starter cords on that beast. Grasshopper, you really need to commit or you need to choose a different path.

It shouldn’t rip the cord out of your hands. I would inspect the timing key carefully. I have started plenty of 88’s and 3120’s without the decomp and I’m not a large man.

The Beast is alive!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I figured out the best way to get her started is almost flood it like Ted Jenkins said and after she burbles a few times put it on half choke a give a RIP on the cord like you mean business, of course with the decomp pushed in lol!

Latest posts

Back