STIHL 088 Ouch!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had 076's, 880's, and 090's not to mention a few big Mac's all riped the cord out of my hand until I learned that you pull the motor over until it's at tdc, then pull hard and fast like you mean it. Once you develop this technique, you don't even need the decomp. In fact a few of my big saws start easier without using the decomp.

Ive had 076's, 880's, and 090's not to mention a few big Mac's all riped the cord out of my hand until I learned that you pull the motor over until it's at tdc, then pull hard and fast like you mean it. Once you develop this technique, you don't even need the decomp. In fact a few of my big saws start easier without using the decomp.
Same here. Ported 090,084 and 111S and you get them to tdc......like getting tdc on the front cylinder on a HD......and then pull “with conviction “

View attachment 716452 View attachment 716453
Hey fellas I was wondering if anyone has problems starting there 088 saws? This saw will literally RIP your fingers off on the kickback no Joke!! I know it's a super high compression saw but even with the decomp in I fear starting it. I think I'll buy the stihl "D" handle and see what happens. Possibly the timings off?? Any help would be appreciated. I cant sell it until I start it lol! Waiting on top cover from my dealer, so I have some time to try a few more attempts starting this HOG.

Briguy26
I have an 880 Mastermind. Very difficult pull -I can only pull 6”. But built Nd tuned so well it starts up! Randy Evans (Mastermind) recommended the Husky 396x decomp valve. What a difference! Much easier to pull.

JonGHouston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00df9bbb04b742c8abef7da2bd50d9c2.jpg

100cc Homelite, no comp release.

I pull it over two three times with the choke set and the ignition off. Then set it half choke and flip the switch. A rich mixture kicks back less. [emoji6]

Excellent advice!!

Similar priming rituals exist in the dirt bike world....

My mechanic brother in law will ask :
"Ok, what's the voodoo ritual for this one?" When trying a new bike...

For some of the meaner 2-stroke dirt bikes, this ritual is a miracle:

Lay bike on side for 10seconds to get carb to overflow out bowl vents...

Stand bike up and put choke on... Throttle closed...

Put bike in gear and with choke on .. rock bike back and forth about 10~15 times to bring piston up and down in bore ... This draws/primes fuel into crankcase without any kicking...

Back into neutral... Now use kick lever to find point where piston "rolls over" at TDC (this assures greatest piston and crank inertia/speed before the piston reaches the next compression event).... Re-Cock the kicker to the top... And KICK IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!

Works like magic...

The above gentleman posted a chain saw equivalent to the dirt bike voodoo ritual....

Only thing I would add is maybe pull position to TDC slowly before re-cocking the rope for the big pull... For whatever inertia it's worth....

Back