Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work.
Simple but looks sound. Will there be any extra gussets.
Does that go with the table.

This will be just an independent sitting bench. When you inlet the legs that deep, they don't need anything else. Will glue with Loctite PL Premium and use a few 3" deck screws.

Then I need to stain the bottom and epoxy the sitting surface.

This will be just an independent sitting bench. When you inlet the legs that deep, they don't need anything else. Will glue with Loctite PL Premium and use a few 3" deck screws.

That's cool.
Do you put the screws in from the top or an angle them from the bottom.
I'd like a few of those for around the bonfire, id need to put some wheels on them so when you lift a leg you could roll them around, they look heavy.
I've been looking for soothing strong but that's easily movable for raking, mowing, and when I have a large fire so you don't loose your eyebrows :surprised3:.
We went fishing last night and we had a nice ash and cherry cookie fire :blob2:.
Fake smile :lol:, but she was having fun, we all did :clap:.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.17.09 PM.png
Both faking again(they've seen a few of them), caught a few this size and a few smaller, lost one also. I'm sure it would have been bigger than the rest:laughing:.
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.14.39 PM.png

That's a scrounger's wet dream right there. Disappointing that they didn't split it and load it in your truck as well, though ;) .

I have gradually worked my way through the 1.5 cord or so of black locust I picked up in April. Some of the smaller stuff I poked into my bonfire in May to hold up my diesel packets, some smaller stuff I burned in the firepit. The bigger stuff I debarked and split up and have been burning at night. Burning through the day was not good, there was so much ash that the coals would not burn down and I'd have to shovel out the heater every second day. But burning at night was better and given the extra time, the coals would burn down to a level that would work. So it has had a purpose which you can find for most firewood depending on its characteristics.

Here were the locust piles in April. In the pile in the (mostly hidden) far left is a pile of yellow box, peppermint, manna gum and some oak. Peppermint is stacked up in front of the woodshed.

View attachment 754385

Here's what I have left of the locust.

View attachment 754383

The bark has been good though. I have been keeping that and burning it in the firepit in bits and pieces which has been great. It gives a wonderful crackle which adds to the ambiance. You just need to be upwind because it smells like burning vomit.

I burned the peppermint, oak and manna gum from the far pile and stacked the yellow box in the near bay of the woodshed. So I have about 4 cord of heavier-than-water firewood in that bay now. :sweet:

View attachment 754384

I need to get out and scrounge some more. I can feel my manhood shrinking with all this time away from the saws. :crazy2:
If I had your peppermint I'd burn my locust :laugh:.
Yours looks just like ours in those pictures, or is it ours that looks like yours o_O.
When I get overcoaling with locust I will pull all the coals to the front of the stove and put a split on top east-west, open the air all the way and it will go under the wood and it burns the coals down pretty quick while putting out great heat still. Sometimes I have to repeat this process when I get a lot of coals, obviously it's something you have to do while you're there. You also have to have some shorter pieces to fit side to side(E-W orientation), or you can also put some odds in there and achieve the same thing it's just not as efficient.
Why haven't you been running the saws, too cold?

While you've got epoxy mixed maybe a coat on the end grain of the feet ?

I think I handle coaling different than most. To me, coals are a good thing. If I need the heat, I just keep chunking wood on top of the coals. The stove get full of coals, I just stop throwing on wood and the coals will burn down. A stove full of hot coals is hotter than a stove full of burning wood.

While you've got epoxy mixed maybe a coat on the end grain of the feet ?

I cheated on this one and installed some 5/4 treated decking feet, otherwise I would do that. Was going to use Locust instead of treated, but would be a lot more work getting it ready.

I want to get the epoxy on while both the temp and rain are still up! Tough when you work out side!

Do you put the screws in from the top or an angle them from the bottom.

I use 3" deck screws, across and angled down. They are just to keep things in place till the Loctite PL Premium dries. That stuff is stronger than wood, and will hold it just fine, but it expands, so the screws lock things in place till the stuff dries.

Put down a pecker holed, rotted maple for my neighbor. Ended up getting more good wood than I thought. It came down nice, and the top exploded on impact, so I only had my road blocked for about a minute
85139c9abd6a8fae8c06933e8c8defbe.jpg
2856463b1938597ebbcfa6c20f5c9c67.jpg
9d1a11cdb2b4310844b4d1553ef988c9.jpg
d323723088e23b3a2c9441de192c78e8.jpg
9fb6613145251a44b33f1eae8881193a.jpg
5e8b914cfc0d4555694b24986abc5758.jpg
d50c1e556a4f5d37bd3b8d76f3ac1768.jpg
7eb9141f073af93882a9f5c4a8909af2.jpg
da4d45c69c50be0c05482561f08a73c5.jpg

Found some metal in a few spots too

Put down a pecker holed, rotted maple for my neighbor. Ended up getting more good wood than I thought. It came down nice, and the top exploded on impact, so I only had my road blocked for about a minute
85139c9abd6a8fae8c06933e8c8defbe.jpg
2856463b1938597ebbcfa6c20f5c9c67.jpg
9d1a11cdb2b4310844b4d1553ef988c9.jpg
d323723088e23b3a2c9441de192c78e8.jpg
9fb6613145251a44b33f1eae8881193a.jpg
5e8b914cfc0d4555694b24986abc5758.jpg
d50c1e556a4f5d37bd3b8d76f3ac1768.jpg
7eb9141f073af93882a9f5c4a8909af2.jpg
da4d45c69c50be0c05482561f08a73c5.jpg

Found some metal in a few spots too
Great job.
I found some copper wire in a cookie we burned last night, it was pretty heavy gauge single strand.

I think I handle coaling different than most. To me, coals are a good thing. If I need the heat, I just keep chunking wood on top of the coals. The stove get full of coals, I just stop throwing on wood and the coals will burn down. A stove full of hot coals is hotter than a stove full of burning wood.
Coals will only put out about 350 when burning with the air intake closed(epa stove so it's always open at least a little), with a piece of wood on top it will run closer to 450 but will put out a lot of heat on the front of the unit, a full load of wood with the secondaries burning it will run at 400-500 for 4-5hrs no problem. Coals won't heat the house when it's cold, different situation means you get to handle them different. When I have the pellet stove going I'll let them burn down a bit further than when it's not.

Coals will only put out about 350 when burning with the air intake closed(epa stove so it's always open at least a little), with a piece of wood on top it will run closer to 450 but will put out a lot of heat on the front of the unit, a full load of wood with the secondaries burning it will run at 400-500 for 4-5hrs no problem. Coals won't heat the house when it's cold, different situation means you get to handle them different. When I have the pellet stove going I'll let them burn down a bit further than when it's not.
Of course if you cut the air off it wont burn as hot. I have checked the outside temps of my stoves surface and had over 700F. even the concrete floor was to hot for bare feet. Not an ideal situation, but sometimes things happen.

Back