Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course if you cut the air off it wont burn as hot. I have checked the outside temps of my stoves surface and had over 700F. even the concrete floor was to hot for bare feet. Not an ideal situation, but sometimes things happen.
Just like a forge, blow some air on them they will melt steel.

Of course if you cut the air off it wont burn as hot. I have checked the outside temps of my stoves surface and had over 700F. even the concrete floor was to hot for bare feet. Not an ideal situation, but sometimes things happen.
You're right.
I forgot to say it will get hotter with the air wide opened, but not as hot as if I have a piece of wood on top of them with it wide open. It seems it doesn't get the same draw because it's much cooler stove top wise, and it doesn't put the heat off the front of the stove the same way. The coals also burn down a lot quicker with the increase in airflow with the piece of wood on top so I can get a full load of wood in quicker. I do like that nice blue flame off the coals, but that doesn't last long and the volatile gases are gone, it has real good heat then though.
Yours gets that hot just from the coals :surprised3:. My chimney is only about 11' tall, maybe if I had more draft it would get a lot more heat out of the coals alone as @al-k was saying a little air blowing on them certainly will get them warmed up, but it just doesn't seem to be how mine works. The only time I have a real problem with the overcoaling is when it's very cold out, other than that I just let the coals burn down a bit before refueling.

You're right.
I forgot to say it will get hotter with the air wide opened, but not as hot as if I have a piece of wood on top of them with it wide open. It seems it doesn't get the same draw because it's much cooler stove top wise, and it doesn't put the heat off the front of the stove the same way. The coals also burn down a lot quicker with the increase in airflow with the piece of wood on top so I can get a full load of wood in quicker. I do like that nice blue flame off the coals, but that doesn't last long and the volatile gases are gone, it has real good heat then though.
Yours gets that hot just from the coals :surprised3:. My chimney is only about 11' tall, maybe if I had more draft it would get a lot more heat out of the coals alone as @al-k was saying a little air blowing on them certainly will get them warmed up, but it just doesn't seem to be how mine works. The only time I have a real problem with the overcoaling is when it's very cold out, other than that I just let the coals burn down a bit before refueling.
My stove is in the basement so I guess about 30foot of flue. If you open the air it will start huffing and puffing from all the draft. Getting something to burn isn't a problem, getting to hot is. I usually keep a bale of pine horse bedding to start a fire. A good handful of the chips, and start stacking splits and one match and it will be blazing in just a few minutes. My stove only coals up if I keep the air turned down and keep feeding wood.

My stove is in the basement so I guess about 30foot of flue. If you open the air it will start huffing and puffing from all the draft. Getting something to burn isn't a problem, getting to hot is. I usually keep a bale of pine horse bedding to start a fire. A good handful of the chips, and start stacking splits and one match and it will be blazing in just a few minutes. My stove only coals up if I keep the air turned down and keep feeding wood.

I dont know if you have an EPA stove with secondary burn, but mine is (Brentwood BIS Ultima), and stove top reaches over 850-900 daily. I emailed the company and they told me this is normal since secondary burn occurs at a really high temperature.

Answer from the company
"The location you show where your thermometer is placed, right on top of the firebox and that certainly is going to exceed 800 degrees F. The 800 to 900 deg F on the metal top of the firebox would be in a normal range."

Changes in your flue can influence the type of wood you prefer. A stove with a poor flue will prefer dyer woods like Ash that burn more readily. A stove with a good drafting flue will not have a problem with burning the wood, and you will instead be searching for wood that maintains good coals over a longer period of time.

Ditto - if you have a larger area to heat, you will run the stove wide open more often, smaller (better insulated) heating areas cause you to run the stove well below full capacity.

In an uninsulated hunting cabin (20 X 24 - 2 stories) on a cold windy night, it is always a balance between keeping warm and not running out before morning.

In an uninsulated hunting cabin (20 X 24 - 2 stories) on a cold windy night, it is always a balance between keeping warm and not running out before morning.

Or drink a few more beers in the evening , so when you wake up to pee in the middle of the night, you put couples logs in the woodstove. Foolproof tricks that works for me :givebeer:

Or drink a few more beers in the evening , so when you wake up to pee in the middle of the night, you put couples logs in the woodstove. Foolproof tricks that works for me :givebeer:
I just slept by the stove and when I started getting chilly, I'd stoke it again. The guys in the loft were still sweating even when I was chilly!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That explains it lol :blob2:.

I dont know if you have an EPA stove with secondary burn, but mine is (Brentwood BIS Ultima), and stove top reaches over 850-900 daily. I emailed the company and they told me this is normal since secondary burn occurs at a really high temperature.

Answer from the company
"The location you show where your thermometer is placed, right on top of the firebox and that certainly is going to exceed 800 degrees F. The 800 to 900 deg F on the metal top of the firebox would be in a normal range."
Wait, your in Canada and you don't have a pacific energy wood stove lol.
Mine is right on top too, if mine gets that hot I've got glowing metal inside :surprised3:, and maybe on the outside since I've never had it that hot before:crazy2:.

Wait, your in Canada and you don't have a pacific energy wood stove lol.
Mine is right on top too, if mine gets that hot I've got glowing metal inside :surprised3:, and maybe on the outside since I've never had it that hot before:crazy2:.

Yes we bought a used house so I didnt have the choice of the woodstove. Pacific energy seems to be real good stove though. Maybe next one.
No glowing stove though, no craking, nothing. It seems to be set to burn that way, I guess.
At first I was a bit nervous about it when I started burning with it a year ago, but 10 face cords later I keep calm when I see 900+ stove temp

IMG_1172.JPG

Image-5.jpg

900! With my EPA stove I can't burn low so it's normal to see 500+ but I feel nervous if it shoots past 650 and thankfully only seen 750+ 3 or 4 times, and with my stove being small I know it's burnt rent fuel and coming down in 30 mins or so. Still, 900+! I'd be a wreck.

Some of those stoves get super hot. A friend has a drolet and I really like it because the secondary burn works so well but it gets hot like that. Manual says it's normal. My Regency has a false cast top with an airspace between so it doesn't appear to get that hot but maybe the actual stovetop inside does. 12°C this morning in Ontario so it won't be but a few weeks before it gets fired up.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yes we bought a used house so I didnt have the choice of the woodstove. Pacific energy seems to be real good stove though. Maybe next one.
No glowing stove though, no craking, nothing. It seems to be set to burn that way, I guess.
At first I was a bit nervous about it when I started burning with it a year ago, but 10 face cords later I keep calm when I see 900+ stove temp

View attachment 754821

View attachment 754820
I was just JK anyway, funny we have the Canadian made stove here :).
I like the temp gauge, it's reading too hot to the max lol. That does seem really hot, but if the parts inside the stove aren't glowing red it's probably just fine.
I know for fact if mine said there would be something wrong and I could be having future problems, I don't think I'd feel comfortable using it after that.
We have the PA Alderlea T5 and we really like it. It's set up like Jeff's with the cast top, it also has cast sides, I figured it would be safest with kids(not mine but visiting) as the only part they would burn themselves on was the front which is better than the whole thing being hot. They aren't cheap, but I managed to find ours at a company that was closing it's doors and I got the 30% tax credit we had here at the time so I spent the money I saved on the best pipe I could find around here and ended up at 1600 after the hearthpad(which is now pretty trashed because it crushed internally, at least partially my fault because it's on top of carpet) and the fuel/tolls to chase the unit down at the Ohio/PA line. It's paid for itself a few times, I'd do it again if I had to.
https://chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert5.htm

View attachment 754130 View attachment 754129 Neighbor gave me several silver maple limbs he stashed from a township tree cutting over a year ago. Is this considering “punky” with the black markings inside the wood?

If your concerned just mix it with other stuff. I promise it will still burn[emoji38]

But it looks fine to me.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back