Need tecno help with router,(internet kind)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Didn't see a forum for this topic so I am hoping some of you firewood hacks can also help me hack into my internet.
I am trying to figure out how to connect some routers together in order to reach my camper outside an old house. I am moving into the camper while my new house is being built. The cable company supplying internet has connected a wireless router inside the house, but the house is a old cinder block construction and the signal doesn't reach outside very well. I have a tplink 450mbps three antenna as well as a plug in extender I am currently using in my current home I will be taking with me. I am hoping I can connect my three antenna router to the cable company router and then place it somewhere outside the block house in a direct line of sight to my camper, which is only about 40ft from the house. I will use the plug in extender inside the camper for my wifi. running cat5 cable from cable router to camper isn't going to work, but I can run cat5 from first router to second router if need be. My son has streaming tv inside the block house, and I plan on getting a streaming box myself. So somebody tell how to make this work. I cant stand to see a lot of buffering while watching tv.

Get the 3 pack of Meshforce whole home wifi system for $169. on Amazon. I was having a similar problem getting my wifi thru brick walls and to an outbuilding on my property. Setup was simple and it works great.

If it were me, I would get a directional antenna placed at the first router and aimed at the desired receiver. This will focus the transmission into a narrow pattern rather than in a sphere. There are tutorials online that will help get a system setup and you can find the antennas relatively inexpensive compared to range extenders.

40ft? I get the wifi in my backyard fine, a good 150ft from the wifi machine.

You don't need the extender inside the camper if the 3 antenna router is only 40 feet away.

I think the big problem is the router the cable company provided. I haven't looked at it, but if it was like the one my old internet provided, it wasn't really good. I had the router in my back office at one end of the house and I had problems connecting in my living room. I bought the TPLink router and it made a big difference. I later bought a tplink extender and plugged it in my carport and I had internet out in my pasture. This block house, with metal roof, is a different situation. I loose cell signal just walking in the front door and loose wifi just walking outside. The house was built in 1949, The block was made out of something besides concrete. I suspect there is some mineral in the block that blocks or absorbs signal. Anyways, I already have the tplink router and extender, I just need to figure out how to make it work with the current cable company router. I am thinking I can use cat5 cable to connect the two routers and place the second router in the basement window looking out at my camper and then use the extender inside the camper. I have been doing some research and It looks like it will just be a matter of configuring my router to talk to the cable company router. They are supposed to deliver my camper today. It will be a few days before I know if this will work.

I see what you are saying, but you DON'T need an extender in your camper! If the signal is good enough to get to the camper, having an extender in the camper is going to do nothing but add another hop things have to make and add latency. Yes you can connect 2 routers, and configure them so it acts like an extender and it all be 1 network, but for ease, just plug the second router into the first and use the seconds wifi network for everything.....done.

You may be right, I don't know is why I asked. From what I read, it seems I need to use the best router for the primary and the other for the secondary. I'll have to get the specs of the cable company router to know which is the better router.

Each of the Meshforce blocks need to plug into an outlet for power. The first block would replace your present router, just plug the cord from your present router that comes from the modem into the first block. And if your renting your current router (as I was) from your cable co. you can return it. I have the first block at the far end of my house plugged into the modem, I placed the second one at the other end of my house, and the last one is in the garage. Speeds in my outbuilding remain impressive, no buffering.

Do the mesh force little satellites just plug into a electrical outlet. I couldn't tell by reading the info on amazon

I would if I could, but the wire would have to lay on the ground as there is nothing to hang it on between the house and the camper. Dogs would make sort work of it.
The cat5 to my shop has been laying on the ground for over 5 years with no issues at all.
You could use a scraper to make a small gap in the ground just an inch or two and gently slide the cable in the gap. It just needs to be an inch or two deep so your dogs can't see it or get a hold of it. Or run coax and move the router to the RV and bypass the house all together.

Or run in conduit and stake down. It's temporary, right?
Good idea, heck he wouldn't even have to glue the fittings just friction connections, then just remove it when done. I was thinking a cheap fix, conduit would bring up the cost but it could be used later for another project.

Home Depot has a 150' cat5 with connectors for about 40 bucks. Less for shorter runs. If it's a longer run you can get longer cat5 and put the connectors on yourself. They are color coded and just slip in with no soldering or crimping. It's pretty easy, no special skills or tools needed.

Just dug a shallow trench this afternoon for a run of direct bury CAT5E from the house to the barn. Shielded, gel filled and I'll put it in conduit for extra insurance. Buy it on Amazon and be done.

View attachment 754716
That doesn't look like you doing the digging. :laughing:
I have been running the Japanese backhoe for the last couple weeks. Drainline for house basement, water line for camper, footings for my storage shed. Heat and humidity out the roof. I think I prefer to go wireless for the internet connection.

Back