Advice for selling Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeSkenz

Reaction score
Hello -

We are thinking about selling our Japanese maple. It’s 33 years old and we are not sure what type of value it has and who would we sell it too. We don’t know the exact type either so any help or info would be appreciated. Thought I would ask the great folks here before contacting our landscaper.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 65E0B4A3-BE6C-49AC-AF28-123CBCCD999C.png
    65E0B4A3-BE6C-49AC-AF28-123CBCCD999C.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 55
I find you response unreliable as 5 years ago our previous landscaper offered us 3k for the tree.

Thank anyway. I am curious to see what other have to say.

I find you response unreliable as 5 years ago our previous landscaper offered us 3k for the tree.

Thank anyway. I am curious to see what other have to say.
call that landscaper back and sell it!

the client who will buy it is more likely a landscaper serving other high end clients.

I agree with @Del_ that it would be better if not sheared...but some people like that - so if you can find a buyer and that money is worth more than the tree to you, go for it.

$3K is a shocking value to me...so take it if you can.

I don't know the New Jersey market, and it is hard to be sure from that photo, but from my time in Oregon I suspect $3K is quite possible. While the blob shape is unfortunate, Japanese maples take well to pruning and within a couple years it could potentially be a beautiful tree. In preparation for being transplanted it would be pruned back some anyway. If your landscaper is responsible for the blob shape, that is not the person to maximize the price for that tree. It should have been pruned to open it up so the trunk and branch structure is visible. Special equipment would be needed to get the root ball out without killing the tree. You might do a search for "large tree sales new jersey".

I can purchase 200 gallon Japanese maples 'Bloodgood' or 'Emperor I' that measure 10'+ wide x 8'+ tall for under $1000 and they are containerized. 4" caliper B&Bs for under $400.

A tree farm in Mass offers up to 9" caliper (!) 20' 'Bloodgood' and has the equipment to move and install them, but I don't know their pricing.

Unless there is a specific history behind it or a rare variety/form, it would be difficult to take a chance on purchasing a tree grown in an uncontrolled environment when large tree farm grown ones are available - let alone getting the equipment to dig up such a tree in a residential area and possible nightmare 811 issues when digging up a sufficient rootball.

$3000 - yes please! It'd be interesting to see what size rootball the landscaper takes - just get the money up front and offer no guarantees.

Back