Stihl ms362c or ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmunyon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so looking for some insight . Should I get the ms362c or ms461 . I have now a ms361 an 261c . If I was to get the new 362c it would replace the 361 an if the 461 I’d prob keep the 361 . Is it really worth having the 50-60-70cc saws doing firewood an cutting down my own oaks an maples or think ms261c an new 362c is enough . Haven’t owned or really used a 70cc saw so I couldn’t say if I would benefit from it .

The 461 is a great saw. Since you already have the 361, it is an easy thing to justify the 461. Probably not a big difference between the two, so like kyle suggests consider the 661.

461 or just skip that for a 661 since you have the small to medium size wood already covered with the 2 saws you already own.
Would prob say the 461 since the 661 might be out of budget . Also is the 461 basiaclly as good as the newer version . My local dealer has the 461 for his top saw

Ya that’s what I’m leaning towards , hoping the dealer might give me a little discount since I bought 261c , 201tc an a br800c blower in last month over $2k worth . Would be nice lol

Wonder why , is it because of the newer Mtronic ? Prob because it’s the latest an greatest compared to the 461 . My 361 does what I ask of it . A 461 would certainly be a bonus . I should ask an see why my dealer doesn’t have a 462 on the shelf .

Ya it’s tough without trying one , I watched some videos but obv can’t do them justice considering few factors like chains , tuning of the saw an so on . Prob bite the bullet an spend the extra for 461 . My 361 does great with sharp edge an letting it do the work . Treat the 461 same an see it being a fast trustworthy saw . Hoping dealer has one I can try though first

The Stihl 461 has become my go-to saw for just about everything over the last few years as I’ve gone away from Husqvarna (for the sole reason of dealer support.) I always liked the 046 and 460 as a concept, and dad & my granddad had one at the farm, it was just that I could get a 372 to do almost everything it did and it was more comfortable to run. A 385 or 390 didn’t weigh much more and it had a sweet spot with a 32” bar & full comp chain in eastern hardwoods, once again more comfortable to run.

The 461, somehow, is a lot smoother than a 46, and it seemingly has more grunt than a 460, especially when I slap a 32 on it. I don’t know how Stihl made it smoother seeing as the AV mounts, handlebars and tank handle are exactly the same as a 460, but it is. There are a few other improvements ( pull starter cover & plastic covers) over a 460.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go for one over a 362, especially if I was looking to run a longer bar. No, not because the 362 is M-Tronic. I’m a fan on the M-Tronic system. It’s pretty slick. Less maintenance to do.

I’ve largely been disappointed with the 462. Good acceleration and it’s light... But that’s where it ends for me. Doesn’t balance well with anything over a 28, I *hate* the top cover, no bottom end power, easy to stall with a long bar... Anyway, I don’t like it.

I kind of feel like a moron for avoiding the 461 in the past (although I'm most definitely one, overall) due to myself associating it with the 460 with regards to vibes.
Like CB said, they figured something out, and I have ****ed hands. The 461 isn't husky smooth, but it is tolerable.

The Stihl 461 had become my go-to saw for just about everything over the last few years as I’ve gone away from Husqvarna (for the sole reason of dealer support.) I always liked the 046 and 460 as a concept, and dad & my granddad had one at the farm, it was just that I could get a 372 to do almost everything it did and it was more comfortable to run. A 385 or 390 didn’t weigh much more and it had a sweet spot with a 32” bar & full comp chain in eastern hardwoods, once again more comfortable to run.

The 461, somehow, is a lot smoother than a 46, and it seemingly has more grunt than a 460, especially when I slap a 32 on it. I don’t know how Stihl made it smoother seeing as the AV mounts, handlebars and tank handle are exactly the same as a 460, but it is. There are a few other improvements ( pull starter cover & plastic covers) over a 460.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go for one over a 362, especially if I was looking to run a longer bar. No, not because the 362 is M-Tronic. I’m a fan on the M-Tronic system. It’s pretty slick. Less maintenance to do.

I’ve largely been disappointed with the 462. Good acceleration and it’s light... But that’s where it ends for me. Doesn’t balance well with anything over a 28, I *hate* the top cover, no bottom end power, easy to stall with a long bar... Anyway, I don’t like it.
Thanks for the info , always helps hearing experience with actual comparisons vs bandwagons . Every one has made valid points a greatly appreciate them . Think I’m gonna keep the 361 in the fleet an just pony up the extra for the 461 . Sounds promising tackling a few monster oaks an maples I’ve been eyeballing for future heat .

Back