How leaky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this is by design. True, you may get a VERY small amount along the pump plunger shaft but I don't see puddles of oil under my saws when I leave them sit for several months. The leakage the OP described is excessive from my experience.
Different weight oils and temps can come into play also! If I worried about a dozen saws leaking I would go totally insane! don't worry about those leaks unless they are from the cases not tho oil ports!

Well it is stored in a hard case in the garage in South Texas where it has been quite hot for the past few months, I guess it's possible that it is doing the same thing as yours due to the heat.
I just live with it [emoji23] in the tool box. Last work truck I kept it in the saw box on seat and it soiled the seat on that truck

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

This was enough bar oil to pool in the bottom of the carry case. To me it seemed a bit excessive but there was still oil in the tank so it hadn't completed leaked out. I'll take a look at the pump when I get around to cleaning the saw and sharpening the chain here in the coming weeks.

Lay the saw caps up to minimize leaks.
Discovered this storing my 3120 milling saw with the long bar on it. Was easier to lay on side. Suddenly no leaking bar oil.
Did the same with the others saws with same results.
Gravity wants to pull that oil out that tank..... change your odds to win (and maybe change your cap seals).

Lay the saw caps up to minimize leaks.
Discovered this storing my 3120 milling saw with the long bar on it. Was easier to lay on side. Suddenly no leaking bar oil.
Did the same with the others saws with same results.
Gravity wants to pull that oil out that tank..... change your odds to win (and maybe change your cap seals).

Stihl "flippy caps" are known to leak. I usually just buy a new cap.

The saw is stored upright in its case. It can't possibly be leaking from the caps sitting upright.

Different weight oils and temps can come into play also! If I worried about a dozen saws leaking I would go totally insane! don't worry about those leaks unless they are from the cases not tho oil ports!
The bad offenders get an old cookie sheet under them while n storage, most of them only weep a little.

The saw is stored upright in its case. It can't possibly be leaking from the caps sitting upright.
If the caps are pointing up then the vent valve and pump are on the bottom. Depending on the level of the oil in the tank the oil pump pickup may or may not be in oil.

You can rule out the vent valve by storing the saw in its regular position with the oil level in the tank below the vent valve. I also make it a habit NOT to refill the oil tank after I am done using a saw.

BTW, the vent valve can be cleaned/unstuck by shooting some brake cleaner / carb cleaner / or gunk through the valve from the outside in. Preferably the tank should be empty for this and the cap should be loose or off.

I hate setting them on the garage floor overnight only to discover a large oil spot that needs cleaned up! I’ve got a bucket of mortar mix that I use for the spot after wiping up the excess oil with a rag, sprinkle it on and leave it there over night, sweep it up in the morning, spot disappears.:)

Back