Norway Maple SGA Root Girdling – Can this be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like a lot of trees, it looks to have been planted too deeply.

I'd get rid of that maple and plant a replacement. You likely have a hard subsoil from all of the construction work.
So the subsoil has to be remediated before I can plant a new tree.

The glory of home ownership.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Like a lot of trees, it looks to have been planted too deeply.

I'd get rid of that maple and plant a replacement. You likely have a hard subsoil from all of the construction work.
Pretty typical of any construction over last 30 years. The longer that tree is there, the better the soil will get...Norway maple is never a "permanent" tree...but they can be useful for a time.

I have removed more material. This shows a progression at a point of the tree that I was considering to "cut" or start to remediate. If you look closely in the middle you can see the metal basket from the nursery. Pictures Maple Tree Girdling Root1c & d, show portions of the metal basket in the middle.

Attachments

• Maple Tree Girdling Root1.jpg
    Maple Tree Girdling Root1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 23
  • Maple Tree Girdling Root1a.jpg
    Maple Tree Girdling Root1a.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Maple Tree Girdling Root1b.jpg
    Maple Tree Girdling Root1b.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 25
  • Maple Tree Girdling Root1c.jpg
    Maple Tree Girdling Root1c.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Maple Tree Girdling Root1d.jpg
    Maple Tree Girdling Root1d.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 23
I have removed more material. This shows a progression at a point of the tree that I was considering to "cut" or start to remediate. If you look closely in the middle you can see the metal basket from the nursery. Pictures Maple Tree Girdling Root1c & d, show portions of the metal basket in the middle.

Maple Tree Girdling Root1d.... metal basket in middle

Attachments

• Maple Tree Girdling Root1d.jpg
    Maple Tree Girdling Root1d.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15
Tedantle, looks like you really want to try & save this disaster of a tree. Don't know any experienced Arborists that would take one look at that root bound mess and think it's a good idea. If you succeed in cutting the first ring of roots you have a secondary ring waiting in the wings. Then there's the wire basket, mean while this invasive weed of a tree is declining. Plant a good replacement tree, kick dirt back over the girdle fest and walk away. Back in the day I would try and save them all, now many years later I've become more of a realist.

Thank you for the reality check.... I got rid of the dirt. I'll replace it and adjust my expectations. I would like to sustain for 4 more years.. . Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tedantle, looks like you really want to try & save this disaster of a tree. Don't know any experienced Arborists that would take one look at that root bound mess and think it's a good idea. If you succeed in cutting the first ring of roots you have a secondary ring waiting in the wings. Then there's the wire basket, mean while this invasive weed of a tree is declining. Plant a good replacement tree, kick dirt back over the girdle fest and walk away. Back in the day I would try and save them all, now many years later I've become more of a realist.

"Girdle fest" ROTFLMAO! (brutal)

Update. I cut some of the roots between #1 left to #9, pictures in the thread with numbers on Blue tape. Then I threw some mulch to cover the roots back up. There was some per-mature "leaf drop", but it is starting into fall. We'll have to wait til next spring to see the results.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my challenge.

Cheers!

Back