Logging in Rhode Island

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a Valmet 646 @Skeans .
Those logs must look small to you!

Odd seeing such short logs, our shortest length we cut when thinning is 17’ and the longest is 37’, if you mean diameter it looks big compared to what I’ve been playing with the last year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not many mills around that want any longer than 16's here for hardwood or softwood.
A lot of the trees I've been cutting dictate short logs. LOTS of 8's.

You guys would be in for a real treat then out here, our prices really push you to 33’s or 37’s with an average of a certain length say 33’ per load even on hardwoods. if you call about doing short logs they will put you out a year or more so we’ve all had to adapt using forwarders doing 37’ logs can be interesting but is completely do able.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

image.png There's not many Red Pine jobs any more, but there used to be quite a bit. We definitely cut 30' and longer on those. Yes, tricky but doable, especially for an older forwarder. One logger out here had a Valmet 546 with a 5th wheel instead of the bunks . It would pull a trailer out of the woods of long red pine.
The last one I did was probably 12 years ago. I had a JD653g with a Fabtek fixed head back then, and it really did great as there was a lot of hardwood to work around.

We had almost that exact harvester till last year a 653E with a Fabtek head. A few guys have done the trailer behind the forwarder, now most of us have gone to running a sliding extension.
1b24b84ef128fe5fb10684a9825bda88.jpg

There’s a couple but most of the ground we aren’t allowed to drag anything for a means of yarding.

What’s the reasoning behind not having Red Pine sales anymore?

image.jpeg image.jpeg Some more.......
Slight beak and aggressive side plate angle filed on purpose. Doesn't look as fancy as freshly filed, but cuts very nice. It is fast yet smooth. I find myself tweaking angles throughout different seasons, and different job sites as well. Cut some sassafras up for fire wood while waiting for trailer and it left that burnt look on the chain?! Resin I suppose.

Back