Weekend Milling Action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is, but the only other bar we have is 36" which was too short to fit around the crotch of the log. We really need to get a 48".

I have the same problem but have just been living with it. (36" and 62")
I'm just too cheap to buy more bars and chain for intermediate sizes.
Woods in the PNW are not that hard. (I'm milling mostly cedar, fir, and hemlock with occasional alder and compressed western maple... both "soft hardwoods").
The 62" is 185dl's so sharpening is a drag.
Otherwise it's just heavy but ok with 3120 balancing weight and pulling the chain around.

I have the same problem but have just been living with it. (36" and 62")
I'm just too cheap to buy more bars and chain for intermediate sizes.
Woods in the PNW are not that hard. (I'm milling mostly cedar, fir, and hemlock with occasional alder and compressed western maple... both "soft hardwoods").
The 62" is 185dl's so sharpening is a drag.
Otherwise it's just heavy but ok with 3120 balancing weight and pulling the chain around.
I'm in the PNW too, and yes, even our hardwoods aren't that hard. The chain on our 60" is 0.404, skip, so that makes it easier to sharpen. I want to get a full comp chain for the 60" as I think it'll pull that just fine. We have needed the full width of the 60 a couple times in some large maple, but normally it is complete overkill.

Got out and did some milling on the weekend. Realized that we really do need a bar in between 36" and 60".
The 090 ran great, the chain was cutting good too, got 5x 2" thick slabs out of this, then went for a swim in the lake to wash off all the sawdust.

View attachment 752857

View attachment 752855

View attachment 752856
What species of wood is it?
Redwood? Cedar?
How many cc's is the 090?
I have a smaller mill with a 28" bar only.
But it does the trick for me.
I'm milling very hard woods like Red Oak, Hickory, Ash and Sugar Maple.
I run a Stihl 044 Magnum on a Alaska style mill.

What species of wood is it?
Redwood? Cedar?
How many cc's is the 090?
I have a smaller mill with a 28" bar only.
But it does the trick for me.
I'm milling very hard woods like Red Oak, Hickory, Ash and Sugar Maple.
I run a Stihl 044 Magnum on a Alaska style mill.
That log is Pacific Big Leaf Maple. Its an indigenous tree for BC. We typically cut and mill maple, douglas fir, birch, and red/yellow cedar.
The 090 is 137cc, and it honestly seems to run the same with the 60" as it does with the 36". We only run .404 milling chain.

Fir can get really hard once it dries (dead-fall) but we typically cut greener blow down trees.

That log is Pacific Big Leaf Maple. Its an indigenous tree for BC. We typically cut and mill maple, douglas fir, birch, and red/yellow cedar.
The 090 is 137cc, and it honestly seems to run the same with the 60" as it does with the 36". We only run .404 milling chain.

Fir can get really hard once it dries (dead-fall) but we typically cut greener blow down trees.
Any figured grain in it? Photos? I have a guitar made of curly big leaf maple. Beautiful stuff and makes a very bright sounding instrument.

Any figured grain in it? Photos? I have a guitar made of curly big leaf maple. Beautiful stuff and makes a very bright sounding instrument.

There is some figure in the sapwood on one side (compression side of the tree likely) But not as much as some of the maple we have cut earlier this year.

20190820_100429.jpg
A serving board that my brother made out of one of the pieces we milled earlier this year, lots of figure, some spalting. We have some slabs of this that are 8ft by 3ft by 2.5" that are still drying somewhere in the stack.

20190820_100443.jpg
A shelf (also made by my brother) with some figure, but not much. This is more typical for the boards that we cut

20190820_100502.jpg
an offcut of one of the spalted pieces that my brother is making into a serving board (with the epoxy)

As I type this I am realizing that my brother seems to be getting a lot more done than me these days....

Latest posts

Back