Split size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hearthwood soap stone burns best with a typical 4x4 post size so really 3.5”x3.5” even over night burns if i through bigger ones in they just arent as good as packing it full with the 3.5”s

Shop stove, it's got about a 24x24 door and is ~5.5ft long. If it fits, it goes in.

I like my wood small enough I can pick it up with one hand. My stove will take a 32in long sticks, but I seldom cut anything longer than about 22in. Small chunks, get thrown in the back and then I stack wood toward the front to fill the complete firebox. 4x4 or 5x5 seems about right for me.

My wife doesn't load the stove unless I have left home to go hunting for a couple weeks.
He He doesn't do her a bit of good to bump, turn or other the thermostat. I have the power unhooked from thr back up furnace. I mean I have pulled the wires from the fuse box totally.

Back about 95 we decided to install a gas furnace. I would get a good price and when it wasn't a Trane or other popular name brand she would nix it. I kept getting some good prices on american standard furnaces.

So we do not have a gas, oil or elecrtic furnace, only our wood burner.

I told her becare full whos money your trying to spend.

:D Al

So how small do you split your fire wood? A 8 inch round will fit in the door of my England 28-3500 so i tend not to even bother splitting them. I do tend to work some down to about 4 inch tringles or squares to fill it up at night and if I want a untended all day fire.

:D Al
If you mean the size in diameter, then I tend to not make them more than about that too 8".
But i can burn up to 22" long splits in my woodstove.
It's a Drolet HT2000.
An extra large stove and rated for spaces up to 2400 square feet

Yes I ment 8 inch in diameter. Our England is rated for 3500 SQ FT and can handle wood up to 25 inches but I don't care for them to be that long.

:D AL

I like to make them lift-able with one hand, so there is less heaving them into the furnace, which increases the chance of damaging the fire brick. But ultimate size depends on how easily they are splitting with the maul. The hard ones can stay a little bigger.

Mostly shoot for a 5" to 6" split face. Like to keep the Ash bigger than other species. There's always some those border line rounds where you're thinking, "Do I want 6 or 8 out of this one?". I think it's good to have some variety in the woodshed. Starts/restarts like Blue Oaks posted and to fill the corners and top when loading for the overnight. I love rounds in the 6 inch range. I load my stove front to back like Al's so no worries about rolling out. I have seen that happen to people, so I know the concern you need to have there.

Don't need to quote the pics, but @cantoo 's wood pile is mighty impressive, huh? Little guy's having fun isn't he? :)

I try to make my splits as "blockular" as possible, 4x6 being ideal. I don't split anything under 6-7 inches. Making rectangular splits from rounds produces plenty of smaller pieces.

Back