stihl 066 vs old stihl 076 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key word "Near".
066 = 13,000. 076 = 9000.
I own both saws and there's no way the 076 will out cut the 066. Keep in mind the 076 is less than 10cc's larger with the same horsepower and slower chain speed.
I never said it would. Especially in smaller wood.
But put a 41" on both and compare.
My 075 runs 10,000 all day long. My 090 runs faster.
Almost double???
111-91.6= less than 10ccs? Lol
Learn to do take-a-way.
The published HP mean little anyway.
I'll take my 064/066 almost everyday over my 075.
But the 075 is SOOOO torquey and fun.
Have a good one.

There is 20cc difference between them, you can run the depth gauges lower on the 076 because they will pull them without stalling, in our HWDs a 076 will comfortably pull a 30" bar whereas the same on a 066 is a stretch & won't do it comfortably but is lighter to carry around all day.
Dansk

Most guys on this website sound like a bunch of pussies that think their 12oz light weight saws are bad ass. My 075 will run circles around your baby 066 saw. Most girls on this website can't handle running big saws. Bunch of posers hanging at the saw shop. Shut the hell up and get to the woods or go back to painting your nails.
Great post. Now go back to your mom's basement.

Was the guy who posted here and then had his posts removed, is he the same guy who shows up now and then? Somebody help me with his name please. Actually he has used several names.

That same poster has a big Mac for sale or trade. Kinda funny when you insult folks and then think someone would want to buy from you. but then I guess I didn't know I was a candy ass. And to BIG4DICE or BIG4MOUTH, kinda hard to go in my mom'said bed as she's been dead for better than a dozen years, if I were the type. Oh yea, that's right you don't know me but have the guts from being a computer screen to say crap like that.

This thread is nearly as old as I. I still like the 076 a little better for just cutting logs. The chain speed is slower and stays sharp longer. It Stihl has plenty of grunt and is easy to work on. The 066 when tuned well might have a slight more pop, but is lighter and easy to handle. Thanks

This thread is nearly as old as I. I still like the 076 a little better for just cutting logs. The chain speed is slower and stays sharp longer. It Stihl has plenty of grunt and is easy to work on. The 066 when tuned well might have a slight more pop, but is lighter and easy to handle. Thanks
Hi Ted, yes, I only commented as there's not much discussion on the old bangers & I am looking at buying an 076 in very good nic & it is significantly cheaper than the 066 & above of course. I recently cut up 2 fallen trees. One was around 2 months on the ground & 32" circumference. Yellow Gum. Hard as hell! My poor ol J'Red 2050 had to do several 16" cuts each side & got so hot was burning my hand (not literally but Bloody hot) Anyway, This 076 has a new 30" Bar & as Chain Sharpening is part of my work for Arborists & Tree Loppers as well as tge public, it was only the sharp chains that kept it going but, don't want a repeat of the punishment on saw. Also, most of the 066 & 088's have been well used, even @ $1000- $1300 2nd hand. We pay through our noses down here & lumber can spark off sharp chains if it's not green wood :eek:

The 066 is a nice dependable saw from bars 36” and shorter.
The 076 is a heavy saw for cutting slowly using bars 36” to 50”, shorter than 36” use the 066. Two good things about the 1111 series Stihl, they are bar oiling machines and there are a ton of them out there, which equals parts. Probably the easiest and cheapest 100+cc saw to source parts for. If only my Mccullochs and Homelites had the parts availability and pricing of the 1111 series Stihls.

Want the best of both of those saws plus better antivibe and air filtration, get a Husqvarna 395.

The 066 is a nice dependable saw from bars 36” and shorter.
The 076 is a heavy saw for cutting slowly using bars 36” to 50”, shorter than 36” use the 066. Two good things about the 1111 series Stihl, they are bar oiling machines and there are a ton of them out there, which equals parts. Probably the easiest and cheapest 100+cc saw to source parts for. If only my Mccullochs and Homelites had the parts availability and pricing of the 1111 series Stihls.

Want the best of both of those saws plus better antivibe and air filtration, get a Husqvarna 395.
Great info for all & Stihl is pretty plentiful here due to advertisement. The Husky's are priced way out of reach down here. Jonsered is my go to for 2nd hand stuff as I only cut wood fairly occasionally these days but need good saws when I do.

Great info for all & Stihl is pretty plentiful here due to advertisement. The Husky's are priced way out of reach down here. Jonsered is my go to for 2nd hand stuff as I only cut wood fairly occasionally these days but need good saws when I do.

If you are buying a 076 or any 1111 series Stihl, be aware of the air filter, lots of them have fairly dusted pistons and cylinders because of worn out air filters and bad maintenance. Also check the clutch over, there are different types out there but a worn out one is the most common. The decomp valve is a different size than most saws and can leak or stick due to age/use, pricey to replace compared the more common size. The 1111 series are a good bit more involved to tear down and rebuild than a 066(1122) however still a fairly simple machine.

Last time I purchased OEM pistons they were around $70.00 each, they supposedly went up in price.

If you are buying a 076 or any 1111 series Stihl, be aware of the air filter, lots of them have fairly dusted pistons and cylinders because of worn out air filters and bad maintenance. Also check the clutch over, there are different types out there but a worn out one is the most common. The decomp valve is a different size than most saws and can leak or stick due to age/use, pricey to replace compared the more common size. The 1111 series are a good bit more involved to tear down and rebuild than a 066(1122) however still a fairly simple machine.

Last time I purchased OEM pistons they were around $70.00 each, they supposedly went up in price.
Much appreciated info Justsaws, cheers again :)

As I said earlier there are pros and cons between the 066 and 076. I have found many parts for the 076 so having it seems just right. I never leave home with out at least two saws so depending on the 076 is no problem. If I had to have just a saw it would be the 066 because it can perform as a limber and cut. A few years ago I cut Eucalyptus for about three years and was interesting. Thanks

Latest posts

Back