Posting A Used Chainsaw UK To Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

I may be able to get a non working Ms 260 from my father.

He has very little interest in it, he’s got a new 362. To me though, it’s something I want to get working and keep as it’s go sentimental value being his.

Repair shop told him it’s cheaper to buy a new saw so he did, but I have very recently gotten into chainsaws as a passion and not just a tool.

I’d love to have it posted from the Uk to Australia, if anyone has done this, please help me with advice and your experience!

I’m guessing, drain tanks and leave open, turn engine over to remove fuel from carb (it won’t start though).

Dispose of spark plug

Clean off any loose dirt

Package well

Thanks guys

Having shipped chainsaws world over the most important thing I can add is to pack it so tight inside its box that there is absolutely no room for movement inside the box. I actually double box them and still line the inside of the boxes with heavy styrofoam sheets, then stuff all voids with wadded up paper balls. If the saw is worth extra caution put it in a plastic garbage bag, remove all excess air and then spray foam it inside its box, remember when in shipment there is no upside or down side to boxes being handled. Tossing, sliding, kicking and falling off pallets,forklifts etc will be the norm.

For a non-running MS 260?
The sentimental attachment would have to be pretty bloody huge.
Does he not own something that might mean as much to you- but weighs a lot less?

Find out WHY it does not run. If the piston and cylinder are toast, why pay to ship parts some 13,000 miles that you are going to throw in the scrap bin.
If replacing the P&C, is the saw still the same saw and hold the same sentimental value?

Will customs seize it at the border and either destroy it as a possible pathogen vector coming in to Aussie because it has been used and may harbour things like Dutch Elm Disease spores? Or charge you an arm and a leg in heat treatment, irradiation, or some other kind of cleaning fee?

Does he not own something that might mean as much to you- but weighs a lot less?

Find out WHY it does not run. If the piston and cylinder are toast, why pay to ship parts some 13,000 miles that you are going to throw in the scrap bin.
If replacing the P&C, is the saw still the same saw and hold the same sentimental value?

Will customs seize it at the border and either destroy it as a possible pathogen vector coming in to Aussie because it has been used and may harbour things like Dutch Elm Disease spores? Or charge you an arm and a leg in heat treatment, irradiation, or some other kind of cleaning fee?

It ran when I used it a few years ago, didn't start when he tried shop said would cost more than worth. No reason for scored piston or any deep problems. Turns over and has compression. I'm guessing new fuel lines, filters, pump diaphram and carb clean...
It will be a project saw and its it's free.

If I word it slightly differently What if I sent you an email - Hey, want a free MS 260? Great condition, ran perfectly a couple years ago, left in shed and tried to use but wont start. Stihl dealer recommended I just get a new saw, would you like it for free? - I'd imagine most anyone would say yes lol

This is where you compare "worth" to "cost"...... Value is measured by everyone in a different way... You can probably count on it being expensive and risky to ship from one country to another. My advice is to ask the courier what they expect and do as they want you to... Then you weigh the expense and hassle.... Only you can decide whether or not it is worth it. Good luck

If I word it slightly differently What if I sent you an email - Hey, want a free MS 260? Great condition, ran perfectly a couple years ago, left in shed and tried to use but wont start. Stihl dealer recommended I just get a new saw, would you like it for free? - I'd imagine most anyone would say yes lol

Yep, if someone offered me one for free- I would grab it........ if it were a short hop collect for me in the same province.
This saw is not free though, shipping is going to cost someone an arm and a leg and then you still have parts and repairs to get it running. Only way you can ship the saw further in the world is to have it shipped to me at the bottom of NZ.

If you really want your Dads saw- go for it, what I am saying is think about how to make it lighter. Lighter = cheaper to ship. If it weighs out over 5kg total when packed from the UK, the price jumps heaps, so don't ship the bar and chain and take anything else of that is damaged or broken and leave it in the UK.
One of these days I will talk my own Dad out of his PM Canadian 340- but he only lives 30km away from me.

Parcelforce online quoted £148 for a 10kg, 50cm x 40cm x 30cm item from UK to Australia. Idk if the weight and size would cover an ms260 power head?

https://www.parcel2go.com

cost will depend on total size : a bar might be cheaper bought than shipped
Yep, many times when shipping has to go via a plane the size of the box will ad more than the weight so all things must be taken into account.
As @pioneerguy600 said its very important how well it's packed and that you you understand exactly what the carrier expectations are as far as fuel/oil being removed, if a box shows signs of something leaking it will get pulled aside and thats where it will stay.
I've noticed that the better a box looks when it gets shipped the better it will look when it arrives at its destination, if you throw it in a box that looks like crap they will treat it poorly guaranteed, but there is no guarantee that if its in a nice looking box it will arrive undamaged either, but chances are better.
I also make sure that the saw will not move at all in the box.

Speaking of free I had a customer offer me free wood today, all I had to do was load it into my trailer, I left it right where I cut it and I didn't even charge him extra for that service lol.

Maybe a visit home is due. Disassemble the case and ship in checked luggage.

I like this idea. Wait until your next trip to see your dad, then disassemble, clean, discard unusable parts, and pack it in checked baggage. Airlines in the US that charge for checked luggage usually charge US $25 for the first bag (<50 pounds), which is quite good compared to shipping. If cleaned and in checked luggage, I doubt you would have the problems with customs that you would with a shipped, dirty chainsaw.

I like this idea. Wait until your next trip to see your dad, then disassemble, clean, discard unusable parts, and pack it in checked baggage. Airlines in the US that charge for checked luggage usually charge US $25 for the first bag (<50 pounds), which is quite good compared to shipping. If cleaned and in checked luggage, I doubt you would have the problems with customs that you would with a shipped, dirty chainsaw.
Just don't try to carry it on, some have and it didn't go well :laugh:.

Some great advice, I’m back in 8 weeks but it would mean lugging it around Italy and the Uk haha. I’ll try parcel force, but I don’t thik they take chainsaws!

If I dismantle it I may forget how to get it back together haha I didn’t expect it to be so complicated. I just thought drain the thing and box it well!

Fellows, something is going on (worldwide I believe) regarding international shipments.
I bought a beautiful 346xp from a fellow in the UK for a great price on EBay. He used their Global Shipping for transit. The package was detained as “Dangerous Goods”, I was immediately refunded and advised that the package would not be delivered to me OR returned to the sender. After contact with the seller, he says his $ is on hold and the saw is laying somewhere in a bin awaiting disposal.
WTF?? I also had a new saw that was disassembled prior to shipment coming to me from Malaysia that was “Detained” for the same reason. Seller was able to pick that saw up and sent it by ground (not air, actually goes by sea). The saw did arrive in perfect condition.
Something is going on.

Back