Are you a wood snob?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seen titles asking the same question but the answers were of a different type.
I am asking about leaving wood lay because a Knot or a crotch in a tree wouldn't let the wood stack right or your splitter just isn't up to that nasty 3 way crotch splitting?

I've seen some really good burning wood left by some people because they refust to take any thing under 8 inches or the crotches I mentioned.

I will say I will burn about any thing. If I think my splitter can't handle it I will noodle it, cut it into cookies, where there is a will there is a way. But if it is burnable, I burn it in the furnace. I don't leave it in the woods no way at all.

:D Al

I try to burn all i can. But leave pretty much any of the top thats 2 inch or smaller.
The wierd shaped ones that dont stack get thrown on top the wood pile after all my rows are done.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

A little bit snobbish I guess, I will take those uglies but it seems hard to get them to dry. It may be that I haven’t found a good way to store them, currently I just make a pile of that kind of stuff. Maybe pallets underneath would help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as I can get it out of the woods to my place, its going to go in the boiler one way or another. The only way I'm a snob is when it comes to storage: I like 24-26" cuts to stack in my rack system. Any shorter, and I shoot for 16" ish for fireplace wood i stack on railroad ties to "sell". Purgatory wood in between that can be really annoying and causes the stacks to get tippy.

So... I prefer to buck my own rounds for stacking purposes.

I will only burn one kind of would..........free. Actually, I won't take Poplar, anything else is fair game, including pine.

I'm a snob. I have limited room, and get more wood than I can handle, so for my own burning I keep to good hardwoods, particularly oak, and avoid crotches. I have a bin of splitter junk which I give away to anyone who wants a little back yard burning.
I usually get yard trees, and anything I don't keep I cut to 16" and leave by the road and let others come and get. I hate to see wood go to waste.

I’m a wood snob of the highest degree, why mess with junk if there’s good wood to be had? There’s so much dead/dying Ash around that the landfill tub grinder pile is full of junk like Pine,Popl,Willow and Cottonwood.

I just cut down a trouble Hackberry and couldn’t give it away on C-list..it was cut in 8’ lengths and I was even gonna load it..no takers!

The Hack now lives in a wet ravine at the back of my property rotting its way back into the dirt. EF5B6D92-30B3-47B1-A255-0687C37EDA85.jpeg

Absolutely a snob here, oak , hickory or any wood the bbq guys like. That's the only reason I'm messing with the pecan. Southern Tennessee has all the oak and hickory I can cut and split, why bother with anything else.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m a wood snob of the highest degree, why mess with junk if there’s good wood to be had? There’s so much dead/dying Ash around that the landfill tub grinder pile is full of junk like Pine,Popl,Willow and Cottonwood.

I just cut down a trouble Hackberry and couldn’t give it away on C-list..it was cut in 8’ lengths and I was even gonna load it..no takers!

The Hack now lives in a wet ravine at the back of my property rotting its way back into the dirt. View attachment 755933

Looks like you are growing a crop of oyster mushrooms on that tree Mmmm.

I guess I am too as all the elm ,willow , cotton wood go to the brush pile. I pretty much have a endless supply of locust and hedge there is no reason to keep any of the other when cleaning up the pasture. I used to keep a few elm logs and give them away but it got to the point I couldn't give them away so they go to the burn piles now.

My neighbors prefer birch wood but they all have land and can pick and choose, I have used fir wood a lot because I have access to a lot of it - makes my living room nice and warm in no time. Burns fast and makes a lot of noise but I don't mind that at all.
Also I save all end cuts and odd pieces, you know the log is just a little too long and you cut off a short piece. I make use of all of it, I have a nice pile of odd small and big pieces of wood that don't fit in the stack but it dries relatively quick and burn well.

I'm not talking wood species I am talking size and stuff with crotches.

I have already read the old post about the snobs who only burn oak 4 years old, Elm standing dead 6 years with no bark left. Maple but only the speckled, or curly some wood worker might like.

When you put it that way then I am not a wood snob. I either cut or split the nasty stuff and crotches of locust and hedge it all goes in the Garn. We stack rite into trailer off the splitter and then the trailers go into the pole barns. We can always find a place on the trailer for the nasty's.

I'm not talking wood species I am talking size and stuff with crotches.

I have already read the old post about the snobs who only burn oak 4 years old, Elm standing dead 6 years with no bark left. Maple but only the speckled, or curly some wood worker might like.

If it's cellulose fiber and I can lift it into owb it gets burned for heat. Do not care about shape or species much.

Back