new husqvarna 365 capable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAKE M

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a husqvarna 365, bought new this year. I have been milling slabs with it using an oregon 28" bar, trying various brand ripping chains. I have some great timber that is too big for the 28" setup (max cut width ~23"). Will my 365 be able to run a 32" bar and chain (max cut ~26-27") with ripping chain? Some length of the bar is not available to engage wood on account of alaskan style mill.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

That's a lot to ask of a 365. How does it do with the 28" bar? If it does ok, I can't see what a couple more inches of bar would hurt if it's only a few slabs. I wouldn't do a lot of it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Thank you for your input , I think I’ll hold off for now. I’d rather not spend the $150, and hope to get a true mill sooner than later. I’ll just make room for the log for the time being.

It has done very well thus far! Most the logs I cut do not max out the 28” bar, I’d say average diameter is maybe 18”.

I have been through 1.5 ripping chains (one just needs sharpened) and am putting on a new third chain today after finding a pair of beefy nails this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
I bought a 36" Archer bar and ripping chain for $75 on eBay.

Interesting. I’ve never shopped eBay for saw stuff. Archer just became available on Amazon, that’s the chain I took off; first archer I’ve used (pictured above). I bought an archer, forester, and woodlandpro 28” ripping chain to find my preference. All more or less the same price.

Interesting. I’ve never shopped eBay for saw stuff. Archer just became available on Amazon, that’s the chain I took off; first archer I’ve used (pictured above). I bought an archer, forester, and woodlandpro 28” ripping chain to find my preference. All more or less the same price.
This is the one I bought. I have bought a couple bars and several chains on eBay. This guy is a good seller, he will send whatever chain you want in a combo.
fd45c55265b5595a84cbb306857377a8.jpg

Glad I came across this thread. I have an opportunity to purchase a 365 and got on here to ask the question about max bar length for milling. I ha e a friend that offered up 8 acres of woods for me to harvest what I want. So I'm looking for more power than my Macs offer.

I bought a 36" Archer bar and ripping chain for $75 on eBay.

Before they went under, Left Coast Supplies had Stihl 63 PMX ripping chain for 0.25/DL, and 25" 3003 stihl mount bars for ~ $20. I believe the bars were GB.

That chain gives a better surface than a BM. Kerf, 1/4" , is still thicker.

I should have bought up a few years supply !!!!

For milling my 550 can barely pull a 20” full house ripping chain, it’s just under its limit and is quite hard on the saw.
The 372 can do 24” full house milling chain no prob, 28 may be pushing it but I cannot try.

The 395 pulls a 36” full house milling chain pretty good but can bog when that bar is buried with the Alaskan mill.

I would stick with 28 for that saw, I don’t think you should invest in chain larger unless it’s full skip milling. Problem with that is the finish is not as nice requiring more planing work.

I have a husqvarna 365, bought new this year. I have been milling slabs with it using an oregon 28" bar, trying various brand ripping chains. I have some great timber that is too big for the 28" setup (max cut width ~23"). Will my 365 be able to run a 32" bar and chain (max cut ~26-27") with ripping chain? Some length of the bar is not available to engage wood on account of alaskan style mill.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Are you using an auxilliary oiler? I would not increase that far with a 365 without one? Does the 365 have adjustable oil flow? Crank it up max if it does.

Back